Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:14:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadow Field (iPhone) - a foggy action RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Shadow Field (iPhone) - a foggy action RPG  (Read 11123 times)
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »

Just three weeks until IGF Mobile submissions end, and we're frantically trying to get stuff done. Tired

As you've probably seen from the videos, a few of the systems are in place, but the game isn't really balanced yet, and doesn't really have a narrative or game flow. So that is what I'll be working on this week! That, and a save manager, because we don't want to inflict a non-saving iPhone game on our poor judges.

While initially I was hoping to just throw the player into the world and do a slow reveal of what is going on, I think that requires a bit more subtlety and nuance than we can conjure up in three weeks, so (on the helpful advice of some friends) I'll probably set up an initial text crawl that roughly explains the events that have gone on leading up to where the game starts. We may remove it again before final release depending on how it feels, but at least at this point I feel like there is (read: will be) enough mystery and interesting events within the game itself, without having to resort to the "unfolding the backstory" method of storytelling.

This act of forcing at least an iteration of the game's narrative to get done is really the reason why we're submitting to the IGF - progress has been good, but we need (or at least I need) a motivator to stop working on the small picture, and start doing some big picture laying out of the game flow, just so that there's an initial version in there that we can then critique, analyse, and then iterate upon.

The good progress mentioned earlier has been work on the UI.

There are a few elements in play here:

- The grey gradient box on the bottom of the screen is a speech box for the characters - this week the temp graphic there will be swapped for something more resembling the rest of the style. Also, Ban's begun work on some portraits for the characters - the one in the green box is a work-in-progress Dr. Akira Grin

- The panel labeled "Akira" is the "command panel" - each character has one. The command panel is how you control the characters, and it extends and retracts depending on which character you currently have selected. The buttons on there are Build, Walk, Repair, Upgrade and Cancel.

- The red outline tower  in the top right of the screenshot is displaying where your current tower will be placed - it snaps to the grid of the gameplay.

- On the top and bottom edges of the screen we've done a bit of nudging to allow some space for various UI elements - along the top bar will be your current game stats (at the moment there's Light Capacity, Health and Wave No.), and along the bottom will be some system buttons (pause, menu, volume, etc).

If you're a discerning and good-looking person you may have noticed that the red outline tower is actually quite a ways above the mouse pointer in the emulator. While playtesting yesterday something wasn't feeling right about the outline display, but I couldn't put my finger (hah!) on exactly what it was - it just felt wrong.  So I did what all game developers secretly do when they're stumped on an interface problem - I loaded up a good game in the genre (in this case, Fieldrunners), and checked to see how they do it!

Of course, if your finger is on the iPhone screen, it obscures your view of where you're about to build - so what Fieldrunners defaults to (and what we'll most likely default to) is to place the outline around 32 pixels above the finger's "point of contact". After implementation it felt blindingly obvious, but that's often how these things go. Anyway, cheers Subatomic Studios! Beer!

Back to work now! I'll try to keep this updated with some smaller updates with how we're going as we near the deadline.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:57:27 AM by Jason Bakker » Logged

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »

We finally got off our butts and submitted to IGF Mobile, which meant that we needed to make a few important choices – the first being, what should we name the game?

While initially we were all pretty happy with Darkness Falls, over the last couple of months it hasn’t sat well with our evolving ideas of what the game’s about. Shadow Field is a bit more abstract and relates less to the literal nature of what’s going on and more to the general feel and ambiance of the game. A big shout out to Rachel Wu (our number one fan) for thinking up the new name!

As regards the URL of the blog, we’ll probably keep it as http://dfgame.wordpress.com until we think of something better – at some point in the future we’ll probably grab a domain name for it and migrate this blog to that new site.

Yesterday was spent on getting updated art assets in the game – here’s a quick vid of the latest build:

We've also addressed the font issue in our new title screen:

Also did some cleaning up on the first post, where you'll find the above image.

Let us know what you think!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:18:59 AM by Jason Bakker » Logged

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

Hah, it's been an age and a half since my last post on here, but we've been slowly plodding forward!

I've just implemented the player being able to close and open the base's* entrances as they wish, which dynamically increases the difficulty of the game. While it's not yet balanced, it's pretty exciting to be able to open up all four entrances and watch it go crazy Wink

After a certain amount of damage from the enemies the entrances "break" (and close) - if they all break, your grid powers down for a few seconds and the world goes black. Next up, figuring out how players will go about "fixing" broken entrances** and playing the game a bit with each possible entrance configuration to see how it feels!

I've also implemented an... interesting score structure. Will possibly ask for feedback on it from you guys, as there are a couple of ways to go about it. More on that soon Smiley

* That's the big white structure in the screenshot in my previous post
** Although I've already got an "autofix" for when they all break - at least one of them comes back online after your grid powers back up.

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 06:32:50 AM »

Still truckin' along. Here are some shots of the latest build:

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... Still need to get the majority of the story and dialog into the game, but gameplay-wise it's starting to come together.

At the moment we're at the really annoying stage of breaking down the game systems and introducing them to the player one by one. The worst part about this process is the save system - the "tutorial" bits really need to be quit and resume-able at any point along them, even though that means every time a tutorial feature is added, a flag for it also needs to be added to the save file.

Video of the latest build

- took a cue off Runman and grabbed some royalty free music for it Wink Let me know what you think!

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »

Er, okay. It's been a while since we've updated this devlog, but I've got some important news - the game is no longer a tower defense game. I repeat, it is no longer a tower defense game!

Our initial idea for a 360° tower defense game was cool, and it probably would have made a pretty good game eventually. But it doesn’t have the gameplay spark that we were banking on, and a lot of our core goals for what we want the game to do, such as bringing life to the characters and making them feel like the core of the experience, are subverted and muffled by the tower defense gameplay.

I wrote about this change of direction in a bit more detail on our game's site.

So what is it now? Well, in a nutshell, it's a strategic action-RPG, where you control the characters with roughly RTS style controls as they defend an isolated village. The focus of the game will be more on moment-to-moment gameplay being fun and rewarding, a deeper upgrade system and, time willing, some exploration elements.

We're still at an early stage in the new stuff, but will update this as we head forward - at the moment I'm experimenting with just getting the core movement controls feeling intuitive, and then will start working on the new combat systems.

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:57 AM »

Still working. New Website! /out

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »

Wrote up a blog post recently on some of the code work I've been doing to change over to the new genre - it'll be interesting for anyone wanting to find out what steps it took to convert a Tower Defense game to an isometric character action game Wink

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

Coffee

This is a pretty early build (the enemies don't attack yet) but it shows off the new movement and camera, and shooting (light snipers, phasers and beam shotguns).

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:06:13 AM »

Also finally got around to filling out the Team page of the website today. Was pretty fun to write Giggle I'm interested to hear whether it's confusing/funny/etc. Not sure exactly how it's coming across...

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

The map artwork + gameplay on the latest video looks great. I'm glad you've moved away from TD Smiley I'd get some better head artwork tho - even if it is just photos with a colour filter on.

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »

Hey iggie, thanks for the comments Smiley Yeah, we were initially trying to make the head portraits pixel by pixel, but are now working on them in a vector art style - they're definitely looking better, but still have a little ways to go.

I'm planning this (or perhaps next Tired) month to finally make a proper trailer for SF - we've come quite a long ways since that video. I do have some interesting news though - if anyone lives/is going to be in Melbourne in a couple of weeks (14th/15th of August), we're exhibiting Shadow Field at the Freeplay Independent Games Festival! Come by and say hello, play the current build of SF, etc Grin Should be a fun weekend!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic