Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:55:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Gish
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Gish  (Read 35732 times)
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »

He should be Lyle-sized.
Corny Laugh
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »

Big Laff

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »

I think the size is fine, but the shine at the bottom was annoying me:

falsion
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »

Gish was pretty big in the game. This size is perfect.

In fact, in the game he's even bigger, if anything. Just look at this screenshot and his size compared to the game backdrop and tiles.

The only criticism I have is that he needs to be a much darker. But other than that, it looks fine to me.
The-Imp
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »

falsion
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »

Also, I forgot to mention. His eyes need to be more yellow rather than orange.

I like it. This looks pretty good. Here, I modified the color of eyes on this one to a more yellowish color:

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »

In fact, in the game he's even bigger, if anything. Just look at this screenshot and his size compared to the game backdrop and tiles.
Undecided

Are we looking at the same screen shot? He's only about half the size of that mummy.

If you look at this image from the intro cut scene, you can see that Gish is only about half the size of his human girlfriend.

I'd say the sprite is still a bit too big. Too be honest, I can't imagine Gish not being a lightweight.

falsion
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »

Undecided

Are we looking at the same screen shot? He's only about half the size of that mummy.

If you look at this image from the intro cut scene, you can see that Gish is only about half the size of his human girlfriend.

I'd say the sprite is still a bit too big. Too be honest, I can't imagine Gish not being a lightweight.

Gish still looks big in that screenshot. And so does his girlfriend. In fact, the characters in Gish all have pretty stubby proportions.

I still say that the current size of the sprite is fine. Especially after Imp's edit.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »

Also, I forgot to mention. His eyes need to be more yellow rather than orange.

I like it. This looks pretty good. Here, I modified the color of eyes on this one to a more yellowish color:

It's a better size, but the shape is wrong.
It needs to be more fluid, like the larger one.

He can't just be a ball, he'll look retarded if he's just a ball.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 07:32:35 PM »

Gish still looks big in that screenshot. And so does his girlfriend. In fact, the characters in Gish all have pretty stubby proportions.
Artistic style isn't relevant here, as everything in Indie Brawl will conform to IB's style.

Here are the facts we are given:
-Gish's girlfriend is presumably a normal-sized human.
-Nikujin is presumably another normal-sized human.
-Gish is roughly half the size of his girlfriend.

Therefore, Gish is roughly half the size of Nikujin.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »

Artistic style isn't relevant here, as everything in Indie Brawl will conform to IB's style.

Half the HEIGHT of Nikujin, it's important to note.
And also, in those pictures he's depicted as being pretty slack, he's really spread out along the ground, which would make him appear shorter.
I think having him come up to about the chest of Nikujin would be ideal, halfway between his belly button and the highlight on his chest.
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »

Even if the proportions are correct, half the size of the human characters just seem too small for me. Not to mention that the animations would be harder to make.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 07:44:27 PM »

Half the HEIGHT of Nikujin, it's important to note.
And also, in those pictures he's depicted as being pretty slack, he's really spread out along the ground, which would make him appear shorter.
I think having him come up to about the chest of Nikujin would be ideal, halfway between his belly button and the highlight on his chest.
I think that may work. Half height, I think, is a bit too small, hard to hit and such.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
shig
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

I hate blob-like characters in fighting games.

Everytime I hit one of them with a punch or something I feel like it just wouldn't have hurt them.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 07:58:50 PM »

I think that would be about right.

Even if the proportions are correct, half the size of the human characters just seem too small for me. Not to mention that the animations would be harder to make.
Agreed. But Gish should at least be a lightweight, not a midweight (like in the latest sprite) or a heavyweight (the original sprite).

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 08:01:09 PM »

Yeah I'm finding it hard to imagine a blob character in a fighter  Huh? It's not very readable, it's very hard to show the effect of moves with a blob.

I agree that Gish is a relatively famous indie character and should definitely be recognised but as much as that is, he seems to suit the assist character job more...

But really all the other characters have been done well enough that I don't think it'll be too much of a problem if any at all  Beer!

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »

I think that would be about right.

Agreed. But Gish should at least be a lightweight, not a midweight (like in the latest sprite) or a heavyweight (the original sprite).

The smaller sprite given is a tiny bit too tall, so a slightly smaller one is in order.

And yeah, lightweight would suit best.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 04:33:43 AM »

Well before everyone started talking about size, we were talking about moves. So let's get back to that.

I think the "Bounce (vA)" would only work while Gish is in the air. So the "Flatten" move should be put in, which is the opposite, it wouldn't work if Gish was in the air. It works perfectly!..

Also. I think the idea of Gish throwing a spike or a small block like you see in the game with the same technique as you use in the game (Sticky to it and contracted, expand quickly and let go). It would look great, work perfectly and solve the problem of lack of sticky moves. It would also solve the problem of not losing health or weight when you throw a blob of yourself. This game is all about not being counter-intuitive...

And my final point. Let us discuss the "Heavy" move. I think it should be like Kirby's brick in that you press vS to start it and S again to get out of it. There should be some delay going into it but maybe a bit more going out of it. He shouldn't be very invincible just as he goes into it but the faster he falls the "more invincible" he becomes. The other think that will make it different from brick is that you can control it. I think he should become much less maneuverable while in the air but while on the ground it shouldn't be the same. I think instead he should take a while to speed up but then go faster then he normally could. If I'm not mistaken, in the game, Gish can go fastest while in heavy mode. So what I'm saying is he should loose maneuverability while on the ground also, he's harder to speed up, stop, and turn around, but he goes faster than normal. The faster he's moving on ground, the more damage again. Then, just like Kirby, Heavy mode has a time limit and he goes back to normal after this (or by pressing S again).

Finally, I think going away from the game and creating cool looking moves like Bite and Spikes will be fine.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »

I don't know how you would do 'more invincible', he's either invincible or he's not. But I definitely like the idea of increasing the damage based on how far he falls.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

I agree that Gish is a relatively famous indie character and should definitely be recognised but as much as that is, he seems to suit the assist character job more...
What would he do as an assist character? I wouldn't be entirely opposed to changing him to a support character, but I imagine that a lot of people would really like to play him. I mean, his moves are no more of a stretch than Trilby's or Reimu's, and I don't think they'd be too unreadable.

Also. I think the idea of Gish throwing a spike or a small block like you see in the game with the same technique as you use in the game (Sticky to it and contracted, expand quickly and let go). It would look great, work perfectly and solve the problem of lack of sticky moves.
He enters sticky form when he climbs. He enters sticky form when he throws an item. His spikes are the same as those that appear in sticky form. How many sticky form references to you need?

It would also solve the problem of not losing health or weight when you throw a blob of yourself. This game is all about not being counter-intuitive...
Indie Brawl is an unrealistic, cartoonish fighting game, where you can see things like Charles Barkley dodging an armadillo thrown by a naked ninja.

It's clearly no physics simulation, so I don't think any gamers would wonder why throwing tar wouldn't hurt Gish.

That said, I don't see a problem to switching the attack to a block throw.

He shouldn't be very invincible just as he goes into it but the faster he falls the "more invincible" he becomes.
More invincible?

Making him invincible in this form is a possibility, but I think it would be more appropriate to just increase his weight (making him immune to knockback).

I think instead he should take a while to speed up but then go faster then he normally could. If I'm not mistaken, in the game, Gish can go fastest while in heavy mode. So what I'm saying is he should loose maneuverability while on the ground also, he's harder to speed up, stop, and turn around, but he goes faster than normal. The faster he's moving on ground, the more damage again.
Sounds counter-intuitive to me. And really, the attack is for falling on enemies, not running into them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic