Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:41:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Barkley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Barkley  (Read 28278 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »

Sounds good to me. It's either him, Gish or Spelunker.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »

Yeah I'd love to play with Barkley next. I'm really happy you guys started this project, I've been finding so many awesome freaking games.  Beer!

falsion
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »

I'd like to start programming another character. Any objections to doing Barkley next?

Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam.

(in other words "yes, by all means do him next. godspeed.")
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

Yeah, cool, I'm looking forward to Barkley! Just need some animations now. Who's up for it?  Well, hello there!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »

Yeah, cool, I'm looking forward to Barkley! Just need some animations now. Who's up for it?  Well, hello there!

I think he's got massive potential too  Grin

I hope you're aware that your sprites are phenomenally impressive, but I'm also looking forward to seeing work from other, quieter, pixel-artists around here.
You're amazing, but having one person creating 50% of the sprite-work is a bit... well, demanding, perhaps?  Wink
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »

i'm getting better at animating so i'll have a shot at some of these

but i aint perfect by a long shot and all my animating programs are pretty horrible to work with

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »

I think he's got massive potential too  Grin

I hope you're aware that your sprites are phenomenally impressive, but I'm also looking forward to seeing work from other, quieter, pixel-artists around here.
You're amazing, but having one person creating 50% of the sprite-work is a bit... well, demanding, perhaps?  Wink

Haha, thanks for the props!
But you are right, it's not only a bit demanding, it's practically impossible, at least not within a reasonable amount of time.
On the other hand, Card Sagas Wars has massive amounts of sprites with lots more details done by mostly one sprite artist (with some contributors though).

However, I wouldn't want to be that guy and it would also miss the point with IB being a community project. I just think the larger the gap between coding progress and sprite work, the less people will be motivated to contribute, because they see IB as an impossible, over-ambitious project. Since I really would like to see it finished one day, I try my best to decrease this gap and keep other people interested and motivated by making continuous progress.

I would also love to see more contributions by other people, as I know there are many talented and skilled artists around here who do amazing work. Many of them have inspired me to work on IB and I feel like my skills have improved quite a bit since, if I may say so.
To me it's just important to try to somewhat satisfy the level of quality that Oracle (whatever happened to him anyway?) delivered originally, in the sprites as well as the animations. But even if some animations don't meet that quality standard in the first place, there always is the option to edit them and get a good result together. After all, IB is also here so we can learn from another, hone our skills and get good feedback by working together.

I think Barkley would be a very interesting and challenging, but not too hard character to animate. It'll be important that he's constantly moving, even when idling, by dribbling the ball and bouncing around.
However for now, I have my hands full with working on Turner anyway, so Barkley is definitely open for other contributors (not that this would mean you can't work on Turner too)!

So by all means, sprite away! Wink

Clemens Scott
ink.inc
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »

Yeah, I wanna get back to spriting myself; it's just that I've gotten caught up working on a combination of schoolwork and GameMaker (I've started building a game of my own Smiley)

Some preliminary work:2wwI figure that I'll start finishing up Xoda this  weekend.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:02:25 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »

Hey John, looks nice! But yeah, I know what you#re talking about. I tend to get caught up in side projects too and need to work on other stuff to actually earn money and buy food...

I'm curious where your project will go, the sprites look nice so far, except that she doesn't ever really touch the ground in the run cycle. I allowed myself for a quick edit to show what I mean:

It has the same amount of frames and the only thing changed was the position of the legs in a few frames. It's a bit rough though, you'll to fix some details.

Oh, and let's try to not derail the thread completely. Wink

Clemens Scott
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »

A while ago there was some discussion about Barkley's movelist, but it got forgotten amongst discussion of the idle sprite. Some people were saying that he had too many slam dunks and not enough other basketball moves, which makes sense to me, but I haven't played BSUJG enough to make good suggestions for his moves. So if there are any changes people want to suggest go for it.

I'll quote the current movelist here:
Movelist

A- Shove- Barkley delivers a quick shove with his basketball.

>A- Double Team- An illusionary double of Barkley runs forward and delivers a melee attack.

^A- BBall Spin- Barkley spins his basketball above him, delivering a few weak hits.

vA- Slam Dunk- Barkley slams his basketball into his opponent, for a powerful melee attack. When used in the air, it is a stall-then-fall.

S- Pass- Barkley throws a basketball in front of him. It deals fairly high damage and is affected by gravity.

>S- Showboat Jam- Barkley jumps forward as cameras flash. He finally lands with a devastating explosion. It’s a slow, but very strong attack.

^S- Holy Slam- Barkley floats upwards in a beam of light, then comes down, dealing massive damage.

vS- Vamp Slam- Barkley attacks with a slam dunk. He heals some damage if it connects.

Logabob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 05:42:27 AM »

I think his movelist looks great, except that his ^S sounds on paper to be a difficult recovery move.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »

Yeah, I wanna get back to spriting myself; it's just that I've gotten caught up working on a combination of schoolwork and GameMaker (I've started building a game of my own Smiley)

Some preliminary work:

I figure that I'll start finishing up Xoda this  weekend.

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hey great!  Hand Thumbs Up Right I like the character design a lot  Hand Metal Left

However how it came the scarf be so floaty while th ehead so heavy ? Undecided

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »

@Logabob Yes, in the same sense that Kirby's and Ike's recoveries are difficult to use. Bear in mind that Barkley's >S could also be used as a recovery move.

@neoshaman It's off-topic, but you are correct. If the scarf is flying behind the character, so should the ponytail. It's a great character design, but the animation just needs a little work.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »

I actually find them easy to use, but thats the point of what you said so ignore this. Durr...?

PROTIP: Referencing stuff from smash bros is the best way to win arguments.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2010, 07:01:51 PM »

For the 'Slam Dunk' and 'Vamp Slam' moves, I'm thinking that they could work like Bowser's and Yoshi's down-specials - that is, in the air, they will send you straight down, but on the ground, you will actually fly up in the air and then come back down quickly. This sounds counterintuitive since they are mapped to a downward direction, but it works fine in SSB.

Also, any suggestions on how to differentiate between those two moves? Maybe Vamp Slam has a shorter range and is a little slower, but of course it has the advantage of leeching health. And should Vamp Slam 'stick' to the enemy, like a grappling attack?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »

Making slam dunk a stall-then-fall in the air might make sense. On the ground, though, it should probably just be a slow, powerful attack. Barkley doesn't have any other powerful standing attacks, and jumping into the air while on the ground would cause some overlap with Holy Dunk.

I think giving Vamp Slam a longer start-up time and shorter range is a good idea. Turning it into a grappling-like move is also a cool idea. In the air, it, too, could be a stall-then-fall, but that makes it a much better move.

Now that I think about it, I think one of the two moves should be a stall-than-fall, but not the other. That might help differentiate the two a bit more.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »

For the move 'Double Team', I'm thinking of making it so that Barkley throws out the clone, then the clone turns around and strikes the enemy from behind, like in the source material. This would look cool and make the attack a bit more unique. Perhaps a well-placed Double Team can combo into other moves, i.e. the clone hits the enemy toward you and then you hit them again.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »

I got a portrait...

...But I might have cheated.   Cool

Edit:
Here's a real portrait:

I still might have cheated.  Shrug
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:39:31 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »

Just a bit of curiosity, you guys got permission from Charles Barkley himself or something?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

Just a bit of curiosity, you guys got permission from Charles Barkley himself or something?

Nope.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic