Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:00:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFLOATILLION
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: FLOATILLION  (Read 5117 times)
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

FLOATILLION

FLOATILLION is a game about an idyllic future in peril. As God it is up to you to defeat the mysterious source of the evil, which is rumored to have come from the shadowy depths of the sea. As you play you will feel the presence of the ones you are trying to protect with you, and feel the heartbeat of millions of years of history and life. You know what must be done, and all you have to provide is the will to do it.

DOWNLOAD HERE

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:53:45 PM by Johnny Panic » Logged

PlayMeTape
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »

I'm sorry to say so but I didn't like this very much. The art style is great, it's just to bad it was used on a game like this. I'm usually a fan of artsy games when it feels like they have some worth. For example I really liked Passage. But to me, this just comes of as pretentious and meaningless.

Also, as a small tip. The presentation (loading, icon, and lack of menu) doesn't really help you out. It just makes it come of as even more amateurish and purposeless.

I'm really sorry if I sound harsh but I'm just trying to be honest and tell you what I think as this is the feedback section of the forum Wink.
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »

It's not really an art game so much as it is a game of skill. As for the presentation, maybe you're right. I had a loading screen ready, but I decided that a contrast between the amateurish Game Maker trappings and the exquisite graphics would be an interesting juxtaposition, giving the game a further off-balance feeling.

Also whoever says the game is pretentious and meaningless obviously did not get enough balls. And the real puzzle is, of course, in the subtle changes governed by the progression of the music.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:34:30 PM »

Okay so if it is not an art game (which I assumed since there's not much purpose to the gameplay) then it's just slow paced and not very fun. I know this sounds really mean, but its just...
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »

You choose what speed you go. Obviously you have chosen poorly. I'm beginning to think I didn't make the controls very clear though, so maybe that's something I'll have to fix. I do think it would be fun if people figured it out for themselves, though. Kind of ties into it all.

The main thing you need to know is that at its heart this is a game about time.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 05:50:28 AM »

I decided that a contrast between the amateurish Game Maker trappings and the exquisite graphics would be an interesting juxtaposition, giving the game a further off-balance feeling.

...Really?

I have no clue what you are talking about. I tried looking at it from the aspect of an art game and just a game and I couldn't enjoy it at all.

I like the art style, and the music of it and it's a shame that the game/art/experience whatever you want to call it is just not fun. It's interesting, if you worked on it a bit more it would be even more so.

This is your first game, right? It's coded poorly, it takes too long to load and it's slow. I tried to decompile it to see what you did or if you did it in purpose but it refuses to decompile  Facepalm
Please don't tell me you did that on purpose like you say you did with the loading screen.

Wait. this is a joke game right? Some kind of stab at art games in general? I wouldn't have thought so but your replies to some of the other responses sound like you are either poking fun at art games or you're just being a smartass. Either way I think they're funny. Reminds me of the stupid dialog in the Matrix, which makes absolute sense and then they reply with something like "or does it make perfect sense" or something like that. It's hilarious, I get a kick out of that.
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

I like art games. ALL art games. This is not one, but I like them a lot. So I don't know why I would want to poke fun at them.

I may have exaggerated, a little bit, what this game is capable of, but really it is all there, at least in the form of metaphors, if not in the form of actual gameplay.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »

You choose what speed you go. Obviously you have chosen poorly. I'm beginning to think I didn't make the controls very clear though, so maybe that's something I'll have to fix. I do think it would be fun if people figured it out for themselves, though. Kind of ties into it all.

The main thing you need to know is that at its heart this is a game about time.

Okay so I didn't find any way to "choose my speed". I hope you're joking with this because otherwise... There's just so much to fix. Why does the sprite jump several pixels forward like that. You could have used the move function (or higher room speed) to make it look a lot more fluid.

Also, I don't think people will take the time to figure out the controls since it feels like all you can do is move forawrd and you die at the frog. It's just too simple (or maybe the opposite) to feel like there's anything else to discover.
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »

The human eye can, in ordinary circumstances, process 30 fames per second. So why did I choose 12 fames over 30? There is a purpose to all things, under heaven.

Also there is no frog. It is a fish. And it only kills you if you do not have enough goodness (balls.)

PlayMeTape
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »

The human eye can, in ordinary circumstances, process 30 fames per second. So why did I choose 12 fames over 30? There is a purpose to all things, under heaven.

Also there is no frog. It is a fish. And it only kills you if you do not have enough goodness (balls.)

What does it matter if the human eye processes 30 frames per second. The room speed affects a lot of variables in the code since it is the same amount of steps it processes every second. So movement could be faster or alternatively smoother.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

in response to everything you have said about this program created in game maker:

Facepalm
PlayMeTape
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »

in response to everything you have said about this program created in game maker:

Facepalm

Huh? Do you mean me or him? I hope you meant him because I know that what I said might not be exactly right but it's not completely off base?
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's talking to you.

The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 02:04:04 PM »

This game is excellent.  The presentation, game play and music all come together in a wonderful cacophony.

Keep playing it; there's some depth to this game.

I'm pretty sure he's talking to you.
Yeah, he's definitely talking to Christoffer.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

Huh? Do you mean me or him? I hope you meant him because I know that what I said might not be exactly right but it's not completely off base?

No I was talking to the game's creator. Sorry about the confusion  Shocked
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 10:14:33 PM »

They see me trollin'...

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »

So, are there more controls than just the right cursor key?

The music varies wildly over time, and I want to change the vertical position of God so I can reach more happiness balls.  I assume there must be a way, or else this is a FUNNEH TROLL game?  I'm not given any clues and short of mashing 110 keyboard keys hoping something works, I don't have a starting point for working it out.  So I'm afraid I just gave up, sorry.

The art style is lovely though.
j0d1
Level 0

indie@montreal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »

I'm beginning to think I didn't make the controls very clear though, so maybe that's something I'll have to fix. I do think it would be fun if people figured it out for themselves, though.

I pressed the Left button until I reached the fish. I don't get it. Help! Smiley
Nice music though.

I\'m currently making the game Commander.
Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »

Try pressing all the keys at once.

Johnny Panic
Level 0

kiss my face

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »

Well, I mean, try having all keys pressed. They don't have to be pressed at the exact same moment.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic