Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:00:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsTIGCastTIGcast Official Discussion Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: TIGcast Official Discussion Thread  (Read 51159 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »

I'd like to note that pre-recorded segments are welcome. Want to make it, but can't? Record yourself on a topic and send me the file. I'll try and fit one of these into every show.

Also, do any of you musicians want to make some music for it as well>
Jrsquee
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »

Yo, sign me UP
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

I'm in.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »

Eh, I'd like to join in but I don't really think it would be appropriate (I haven't actually done anything, after all) so instead I'll just wish you guys good luck!

Make us proud, boys.  Coffee

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Dragonmaw
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36:34 PM »

Note that you don't have to have done anything to be in the podcast. Hell, I haven't made anything yet besides unfinished prototypes!
medieval
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »

I'm so in.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

Note that you don't have to have done anything to be in the podcast. Hell, I haven't made anything yet besides unfinished prototypes!

That's great to know, but I think I'll still be out. It just feels too awkward for me. Maybe next time or the time after, if I've finally got something out. I'd feel too self-conscious to say anything if I went in this time.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »

That's great to know, but I think I'll still be out. It just feels too awkward for me. Maybe next time or the time after, if I've finally got something out. I'd feel too self-conscious to say anything if I went in this time.

This is kinda how I'm feeling about it right now too.  I'm in the "unfinished prototypes" category as well...5 years of unfinished GM prototypes.  That said, one of the more recent ones is pretty serious/permanent, I just have very little time to work on it.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »

Well, I found out I won't be able to do it this time. Ah well..  Cry

Dragonmaw
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 05:50:10 AM »

Due to technical issues (namely, my sound recording isn't working quite right) we may have to move TIGcast to next Saturday. I'll try and resolve them or find a workaround.

Also, if not enough people show up, we'll postpone it to next saturday. The podcast recording session is at 4 PM PST through Skype. We'll meet up, discuss which topics we want to cover, and then go. Remember it! Try and be in #tigcast or message me on skype (my username is hammerchiseled) if you are planning on podcasting.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »

I'd love to hang out at some point, so consider me game. Maybe not for the most imminent one, but I'd love to pop on in the future.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

So this is off? Sad Shame.

twitter: @docky
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »

Sorry for my abrupt leaving, but my laptop ran out of batteries and I had accidentally left the power chord for it at someone else's apartment.  I tried to say as I was leaving, but my computer went into sleep mode half way through, so I don't know how much got through.

Part of me hopes it was "just so you guys know, my computer-" so that your imaginations might have tried to fill in the rest.   Droop

Anyway, I had fun with this, and would definately be up to doing future TIGCasts!

godsavant
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

Sorry for my abrupt leaving, but my laptop ran out of batteries and I had accidentally left the power chord for it at someone else's apartment.  I tried to say as I was leaving, but my computer went into sleep mode half way through, so I don't know how much got through.

Part of me hopes it was "just so you guys know, my computer-" so that your imaginations might have tried to fill in the rest.   Droop

Anyway, I had fun with this, and would definately be up to doing future TIGCasts!

Really? I seem to recall that you did get the entire sentence out. Either way, we got the message. Hope you can stay next time. Grin

I'm going to play around with the mp3, as well, see if I can manage anything with the meager tools at my disposal.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »

It's alright, my headset died halfway through. Whups!

Next time, each participant will be asked to record their own voice using any recorder (I use Audacity) and I'll edit it together. It makes it easier to avoid things like everybody talking at once.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »

another thing would be to have the host ask specific questions of people, have them answer, then have it return to the host, then repeat. that way, the host 'directs' the conversation and decides who talks when.

and having fewer people at once would help too -- we had 6 at once. it'd probably work better with 3 or so.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »

Yeah, having everyone record their own side of it would probably also improve the sound quality of the whole thing, and if two people are talking at once, and one yeilds to the other, you can edit out the one who yeilded.

I'm not sure having a host who decides when everyone talks is a good idea, as it takes out an element of banter that should be in a podcast, but I guess the delay also put a damper on that anyway.  If there were some silent way of signaling that you want to talk when the person who is talking now is finished, that would probably work well, like if we had a text chat on the side and could type in something simple like "talk" to say that you have something to say next.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »

if dock upgrades his skype, we'd be able to use IM's while talking -- but i kept getting the message saying 'the host has an old version of skype which doesn't support instant messaging along with voice chat at the same time'

godsavant
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »

if dock upgrades his skype, we'd be able to use IM's while talking -- but i kept getting the message saying 'the host has an old version of skype which doesn't support instant messaging along with voice chat at the same time'

Same here.

I don't think the host should have total control over what is discussed, but like Garnet Lee on the 1UP Yours podcast, I do think it's the host's job to keep the conversation at least mildly on topic or mediate debates in a legible manner.

Sure, I guess we could could record ourselves separately...would that make editing more like a puzzle, though, since there's no real 'master track' to work off of?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »

Same here.

I don't think the host should have total control over what is discussed, but like Garnet Lee on the 1UP Yours podcast, I do think it's the host's job to keep the conversation at least mildly on topic or mediate debates in a legible manner.

Sure, I guess we could could record ourselves separately...would that make editing more like a puzzle, though, since there's no real 'master track' to work off of?
If everybody starts recording at the same time, it's a lot easier than you would think. I use Audacity, and it supports multi-track stuff, so we can each turn on the recording at the same time and then start. It'll certainly make editing things together easier, and may alleviate lag concerns (as some people are across the pond, lag might cause voices to blur together).

As far as hosting and directing the conversation goes, I was planning on doing that, and I'm really sorry. Headset death + connection drop = disaster.

Either way, TIGcast Zero: Prototype Edition will be up within the next day or two as I edit it together. It's our little test. Who is game for another cast this Saturday?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic