Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:50:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsTIGCastTIGcast Official Discussion Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: TIGcast Official Discussion Thread  (Read 51095 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »

Confirmed that I won't be able to do it this Saturday, but will be able to do it the Saturday after that.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »

A question. While you were talking, did it sound as lousy as this? If not, then it's definitely a recording problem.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:01 PM »

This weekend is Canadian Thanks giving, so I can't but I would really like to be involved.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »

Confirmed that I CAN do it this Saturday (Sunday for me). It's at 4pm PST right?
Also maybe we should consider better hosting for the podcast?
Either this? or I could host it, I have a shit-ton of bandwidth to kill anyways. :] (Providing someone else designs the pages unless a plain wordpress page is fine.)

godsavant
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »

A question. While you were talking, did it sound as lousy as this? If not, then it's definitely a recording problem.

It's part of the shareware program DragonMaw was using, which added the hiss after the first five minutes because he was using the unregistered version. We never found out until after the recording, and from now on, I suppose we'll use Audacity instead.
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »

Whats wrong with audacity? and the audio quality is kinda unlistenable....
EDIT: Gets better, is actually listenable.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:39:57 PM by YagerX » Logged

godsavant
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »

Whats wrong with audacity? and the audio quality is kinda unlistenable....
EDIT: Gets better, is actually listenable.

What? I said, we are going to use Audacity. It was the other unnamed shareware that we're not going to use anymore.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »

Actually, Dock was the one recording, not I. Jstickr suggested another Skype recording program that is apparently free, but for now we are having each person record themselves through Audacity.

Also any hosting in which we can get an RSS feed is great, because that means iTunes distribution.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »

My website is actually already set up for hosting podcsts (I had a small one a while back), so I could host them if you'd like.  And it has RSS feeds and iTunes support.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

I might be up for one this Saturday; can't say for sure at this point though.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »

Hey, don't use free/crappy software if you guys are serious about it.  How much does decent recording software cost?
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »

have you guys checked out soundflower? http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14067 (for mac)

If you have a dummy laptop or something that's the fly on the wall in the skype call you can set your output to record through audacity. That way you don't have any external interference with trying to talk and record through the same laptop. If you do that, audacity should be fine but my knowledge is quite amateur.

AFAIK the big issue is microphone quality and bandwidth.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

Hey, don't use free/crappy software if you guys are serious about it.  How much does decent recording software cost?

http://www.goldwave.com/

$50. My mom got a copy of it a few years ago for her singing, and the key hasn't run out yet. Very nice product.

That being said, that's only the recording and manipulation software. If you want to do multi-track editing, they also have a piece of software called Multiquence which is also really good, and is $40.

So... $90?

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Dragonmaw
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »

The problem with this is that most shareware Skype recording software doesn't give very good quality, having experimented with them in the past for another podcast. I suggested the Audacity route because it's both free and excellent, which is a double-whammy in my book. Regardless, I'm still looking for decent Skype recording stuff, so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

have you guys checked out soundflower? http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14067 (for mac)

If you have a dummy laptop or something that's the fly on the wall in the skype call you can set your output to record through audacity. That way you don't have any external interference with trying to talk and record through the same laptop. If you do that, audacity should be fine but my knowledge is quite amateur.

AFAIK the big issue is microphone quality and bandwidth.

Originally I was going to use my laptop and a dummy Skype account to record, but my laptop monitor is so broken that I can't use it. Whups. Also, I don't have a mac.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:51:41 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »

What if the host just records from the Stereo Mix, and the users record with their microphones? Then it can be resynched later and individually edited (to make Paul louder, for example), and the host has something to align stuff with (the stereo mix recording).

And I'm pretty sure this is possible in Vista. It was in XP. Dunno about Mac or Linux.

Unless Skype steals the Microphone audio feed and doesn't allow it to be picked up by other programs?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »

You can't record more than one track at a time with Audacity, so the host would not be heard at all.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2009, 07:52:23 PM »

Seperate windows recording different parts? One recording stereo mix and one recording from microphone?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

Seperate windows recording different parts? One recording stereo mix and one recording from microphone?
You'd have to have different programs.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »

From my experience, stereo mix causes quite a bit of noise.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »

Really? That's odd. It's simply interrupting the output to your speakers and recording from it. Must've had something odd going on there. I used to do it quite a lot though, and never had that problem. =/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic