Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:34:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsTIGCastTIGcast Official Discussion Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: TIGcast Official Discussion Thread  (Read 51089 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »

Yeah, it might just be something wonky with my computer. 

For some reason, if I just have microphone, things are fine, and if I'm on stereo mix with no microphone it's fine, but if I have stereo mix and my mic is on, there's this static noise.  I guess it's just me.

Anyway, using a dummy account to get the stereo mix, then having everyone record individual audio seems like a good way to handle it.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

Wouldn't it work to use Ventrilo? It includes a recording function, and I've seen it used satisfactorily in other podcasts.

I might want to participate in a future one. But I want to see how it goes and what kind subjects are talked, to know if I actually have something to say or not.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »

Hey, don't use free/crappy software if you guys are serious about it.  How much does decent recording software cost?

I really wish I hadn't shared that broken podcast file.

The podcast wasn't going to happen at all, I had 20 minutes to gather software, and I made a mistake because the software added noise to the recording. It's not like I'm unaware that this is very poor. I've made a lot of podcasts before. Sad

The audacity channel recording is wisest, but it is still importart to record a mixed stream of the skype session as a backup - just in case one person has difficulty with their file or their computer sets of fire, etc.

twitter: @docky
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound accusatory - these things happen.  I was honestly just curious how much it costs to buy recording software.  I'd be down to chip in for some good stuff if it meant we could have podcasts to listen to on the site.

If there's a free alternative that works, that's fine, too.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2009, 12:29:30 AM »

Sorry chaps, I was being overly sensitive to the responses on this thread. I have already bought the full version of Audio Hijack Pro for $32, which should suffice for a mixed stream.

Can I ask for the podcast to be recorded one hour earlier?
I'm up for doing it on Saturday.

twitter: @docky
Dragonmaw
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2009, 02:48:33 AM »

Sorry chaps, I was being overly sensitive to the responses on this thread. I have already bought the full version of Audio Hijack Pro for $32, which should suffice for a mixed stream.

Can I ask for the podcast to be recorded one hour earlier?
I'm up for doing it on Saturday.
3 PM this Saturday is fine by me.

Note to all participants: You must have Audacity installed (it's free!), Skype (duh), and be able to show up at 3 PM this Saturday. As Dock has said, we'll be doing both a mixed-track and individual-track recording of the session just to be absolutely sure nothing bad happens. Topics will be whatever we decide on beforehand.

Everyone welcome! Limited slots this time, though.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »

...wait, why is audacity required?

EDIT: To specify, why is it required as opposed to other software?

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »

Because its free and good, and it will allow for a similar sound from all podcasters is my guess.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »

But the microphone and sound card affect the sound more than what software is being used. Seems a bit weird to draw the line at using audacity.  Undecided

Dragonmaw
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

But the microphone and sound card affect the sound more than what software is being used. Seems a bit weird to draw the line at using audacity.  Undecided
Use whatever you want to record, I suggested Audacity because it's free. You just need to record your mic input and then send the track to me. Use whatever you want, as long as it is not Windows Sound Recorder.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »

Oh, sorry, didn't understand what you meant.  That "must" threw me off. Tongue

Dragonmaw
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »

Oh, sorry, didn't understand what you meant.  That "must" threw me off. Tongue
It was totally my fault. Just some software to record your own voice is fine. Dock will have the normal skype recording software, and we'll go from there.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2009, 06:51:17 PM »

For people unable to install Audacity (like me right now), is that okay?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »

You need to have some sort of sound recording software besides built-in sound recorder. It's for quality reasons.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2009, 07:08:42 PM »

This should help those who need alternatives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_software_for_audio#Recording_and_editing

YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 12:34:10 AM »

3pm... 8Am for me... sounds good, I'll get up at 7 then.
3Pm as in we start recording at 3 or start preparing at 3?
Also my skype username is YagerX. :]

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »

You need to have some sort of sound recording software besides built-in sound recorder. It's for quality reasons.

Ah, can't do this until I get a real computer then. :|
Dragonmaw
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »

We will start the conference call around 3 PM PST. We will probably discuss what topics we want to talk about, make sure everyone understands what to do on the technical side, and go.
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2009, 03:09:17 AM »

Cool.
I'll see what I can do with Podbean then.
It appears to have a free option with limited storage, but I think I can host it just use podbean as a portal?

Anywho, I'll mess with it out tomorrow since it's 12am right now.

EDIT: Or we could do something like Tigcast.yagerx.com (Best I can offer for now...)

EDIT: After some researching it seems that podbean is using wordpress to power it's system, so I think instead of uploading files, and using their interface, slipping in a url *should work* (PS. I have no idea how "podcatchers" parse the feeds, is there an attachment tag?)
Emailed podbean on using existing hosting (100mb is seriously not enough)
Looked at the structure for some existing podcasts, nothing special. I think we can patch a solution together where I host the files, Podbean publishes the posts with show notes and what not (used for the free url? E.G. Tigcast.podbean.com) and...For rss...this?
We'd have to manually update it at first, but hopefully someone with more webdesign skills could make a script of some sort?

Uh after some more editing, seems I can do this with some php scripting and some cron scripting, both of which I can provide. (It'd be a fun lesson to learn both)
So. I think I can use php or cron grab the post from podbean for each .mp3 file in a directory and make a rss that way?
I think I can modify this script

Best option I've found is to use this @ Tigcast.yagerx.com (Until we get a new domain) Fastest and simplest solution i think.

If who ever's got tigcast.com will *lend* it to us, the I can host it.

Sad Somebody post so I can stop editing!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:08:43 AM by YagerX » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:09 AM »

All you need to populate it to iTunes is an RSS feed, as far as I know. To get officially recognized by the iTunes store and available through it is a different matter altogether. Both require RSS feeds, but iTunes Store population requires a submissions process.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic