Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:54:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGame Making Competition, Anyone?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Game Making Competition, Anyone?  (Read 22578 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »

I'm not suggesting that the resource pack be mandatory just a resource that it is approved for us to use .
just like a folder of submitted pixels and sounds and whatnot that COULD be used if you don't have pixel talent ?

Ya, that's exactly how I envisioned it. Maybe down the road, a restricted pack compo would be fun, but for now let's open it up a bit and work the kinks out

axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »

I hate competitions where everyone starts with the same art  Sad

I agree. Restrictions are fun, as long as they aren't too... Um... Restrictive.
How about a gameboy theme? I'm talking low resolution, green 4-color graphics, chip music, etcetera. Not too original, maybe, but it'd still be fun Smiley

Chainsaw surgery.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »

I would be very keen to enter a competition, I very rarely completely finish any of the games I start to make... Something like this would be great to, well, help me get a finished game made and out there.

Theme ideas:

Abstract, lost, escape, fever, chain reaction.

Restrictions on size/colours/music/resolution etc are always fun Grin

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

Yes!  The point is to finish a game.  A finished product, even if it's very small, is better (imo) than having an unfinished sprawling epic that never sees the light of day.  Especially because small != not fun.  And I'll make sure that everyone who finishes a game gets good feedback.

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking for the first competition:

• 1 month time limit!
  • Size restriction.  Probably something like 4 megs?
  • No color or resolution restriction!  I want to see diversity, really... and would putting restrictions on the graphics really make the games more interesting?  Maybe for a future contest.
  • One general theme (I'm leaning toward "swarms") and a list of mini-themes from which you must pick at least one but can choose to use all of them for mad bonus points.
  • A graphics pack will be made available with really really generic and kind of abstract (but clean and cute) pixel sprites for people to use for prototyping or if you can't do graphics yourself.
  • Prizes: at the very least a link to your game and a website (if you have one) on the TIGSource front page and on the forums.  The site is getting heavy traffic these days, so it's a good opportunity to get noticed.  A custom title on the forum if you don't already have one ('cause that's always fun! Smiley).  A tangible prize might be nice, too, I'll look into it.

How's that sound?  And I can promise good feedback on all the (finished) entries from the judges, and when the compo's over you can also open your game up to the feedback forum. Grin
jaredbloom
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »

Okay assuming we were to later vote on the restrictions and whatnot, can anybody persuade some sponsors to help us out with the prizes?

We should ideally be able to do the prize giving over the internet (sponsors email registration keys for their games to the winner of the competition) so nobody will end up getting ripped off.

EDIT: As I wrote this Derek made a post: Derek, I agree with everything except the size limit; how about instead of a size limit the entrant is required to have a reliable server to host the file on?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:06:06 PM by jaredbloom » Logged
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »

(I'm leaning toward "swarms")
Nice, everyone that entered LD48 #8 can resubmit to this :D.
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »

How about instead of 'swarms' (which has been done before), we have 'leadership', which could possibly lead in different directions... possibly.

Such as:
- an RTS as Arne suggested where you have some sort of general of an army
- a Lemmings clone where you're a Pied Piper figure and all these lemmings are following you
- a game where you start off with no peons and you start attracting people using a persuad-o-tron (straight outta Syndicate!) to gather a cult

... I won't ruin any more ideas, but there are loads more I reckon...

Last release: sync::routine
jaredbloom
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2007, 05:13:13 PM »

Yeah I do not like the sound of swarms at all.

How about something with a gameplay focused on obstacles or movement, like Paroxysm or Nikujin?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »

EDIT: As I wrote this Derek made a post: Derek, I agree with everything except the size limit; how about instead of a size limit the entrant is required to have a reliable server to host the file on?

The size restriction is to keep the games small. Smiley

@Impossible and Jimbob: Whoops!  I thought that "swarms" as a contest idea sounded familiar.  Jimbob, your idea for "Leadership" is a lot more interesting, actually.  Thanks for the heads-up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:16:29 PM by Derek » Logged
jaredbloom
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »

Oh yeah... right. Sorry, wasn't thinking there, haha.

I actually like the leadership idea as well, it's broad enough to be interpreted in many different ways.

We could also do "Social Impact" based, stuff like that What A Fart game.
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »

How about we write a "Rule-O-Matic" that generates the rules randomly each month based on a combination of concepts that we all submit to it. The Allegro Speedhack competitions used a similar mechanism. Fun stuff. Smiley
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »

There's far too much discussion about this, someone just make a damned competition already! :D

jaredbloom
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »

There's far too much discussion about this, someone just make a damned competition already! :D

Heh, that's what I had planned on doing when I made the topic, it looks like it's out of my hands now.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 11:55:59 PM »

I love zombies. And ninjas. So it would suck to put a restriction on them. I'd hope the rules would allow for artistic freedom on those details, and more define a general theme, such as Survival, Rotation, Attraction, Swarms, etc.
I don't think zombies and ninjas and other clichès would/should be banned, just not mandatory/encouraged.

And nice ideas, Derek. Me gusta mucho.
I like the broadness of the leadership theme.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »

Gosh. Sort of glad you're not going with swarms. Don't want more competition for the game I'm doing  Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2007, 06:21:16 PM »

Alright, I'm stoked.  I'll plan on announcing the competition officially after GDC next week. Cool

And let me know in this thread if you're interested.  I'm curious how many entries we can look forward to getting.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2007, 08:07:49 PM »

I'd like to hack something out in pygame.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »

depending on the rules and where I'm at with my current game, I'd say I'm a lukewarm yes. Tepid even. Altho pixels scare me, never done anything 2D before.

jaredbloom
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2007, 11:47:12 PM »

Alright, I'm stoked.  I'll plan on announcing the competition officially after GDC next week. Cool

And let me know in this thread if you're interested.  I'm curious how many entries we can look forward to getting.

Not sure whether the winners will be decided by a vote or by judges; considering it was my idea, though, can I be a judge if it turns out that way? I still want some involvement in this Smiley
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2007, 12:16:25 AM »

I'd be interested, thought not for sure if i can participate. If time/school permits I think it'd be fun. I've never actually finished a game yet!  Cool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic