Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:10:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeRidiculous music / productivity pairings
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ridiculous music / productivity pairings  (Read 3511 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »

I was listening to Black Tambourine and feeling really nice, doing some sprites for Cloud Cats, but the album finished when I was in the middle of doing a lasso and went to Blood Brothers. I would ordinarily change it, but I left it, and got an amazing amount of work done while also feeling pleasantly ridiculous.

So this is a thread for ridiculous music feelings that nevertheless result in productivity. This has happened to me before with Andrew W.K., but that's a little more intentional.

Edit: Here is the resulting sprite. A spazzy teleport!

|
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »

I love playing music to keep me busy. Right now I have two playlists:

Bitchin' Tunes- New Bomb Turks, Flogging Molly, and adding in a little bit o' Talking Heads in

Chill the Fuck Out, Brah- Coldplay (of course), some of OK Go's mellower tracks, bunch of tracks from Dark Was the Night (awesome indie compilation album), and a couple Puffy Ami Yumi tracks

...Don't judge me.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »

I used to watch Powerpuff Girls solely to see the Puffy AmiYumi nonsense contained therein. I love MAKIN FLIPPY FLOPPY for a nice "yes, I am working, for sure" vibe.

Also, Crystal Castles makes me get stuff done. If there is stuff to do, I will do it, and there will be Crystal Castles.

|
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »

Does anyone else remember that song "Signal in the Sky-O" that one band made for the Powerpuff Girls? It reminded me a bit of early OK Go, and was a really nice poppy tune- perfect for the show and a good working tune.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:13:53 AM by Theo » Logged
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »

I love Apples in Stereo! I used to listen to them a lot, and then my computron was stolen.

|
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:00:38 AM »

Being a musician, I cant really listen to other music while.... well, making music.

I do listen to certain music BEFORE making music though.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »

I like to listen to bleemix2/3/4 by Darkhalo. Also, similar to that but a bit ruder, Girltalk's Feed the Animals. I find somehow a nice club vibe works wonders, maybe because it helps me not to feel like I have no life!

When I listen to club music, I can pretend I'm going dancing, which means I'm happier to just sit at my computer! Woo!
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 07:06:01 AM »

I don't have any "ridiculous" pairings, but music is my main source of inspiration for making pretty much anything. Without music, I'm not very creative at all.

Loveless has been great in that respect recently. Same with most Neutral Milk Hotel songs. Radiohead also works when I'm doing something creepy or depressing.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »

I like Loveless, but I've been overusing it as my middle-of-night, I-hate-this-but-I-have-to-finish-it music, so I associate with a very particular feeling that is a gross feeling. Like, having too much coffee and not having eaten enough food.

|
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:43:33 AM »

My taste in productivity-music is all over the place, but the most ridiculous thing I listen to for productivity is Passenger of Shit.

Yes, Passenger of Shit. No official genre, but usually described as "erotic speedcore". Has song titles such as "Staple Tape Worms on my Penis". Intensely uncomfortable to listen to.

For some reason,

- "Staple Tape Worms on my Penis" - is actually pleasant for me, and it makes me work very fast.

I don't really know what's up with that, but it works for me!
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:22:56 AM »

Depends on the season/mood.

John Frusciante (curtains),  Tom Waits, David Thomas Broughton, Have a Nice Life (deathconsciousness), Opeth (damnation), ISIS (panopticon), Joni Mitchell, Damien Rice/Ray LaMontangue for depressed/self-loathing (Winter)

Shugo Takamaru, Sigur Ros, Múm, Unwed Sailor, Album Leaf, Paavoharju, NIN (ghosts), Eluvium, Explosions in the Sky (the rescue) for relaxing (Fall)

Incubus (morning view), Starflyer 69, Radiohead, The Dissociatives, The Eels,

Nevermind, the only thing that doesn't work well for productivity is if it doesn't fit the mood i'm in. Usually rap isn't conducive with working. It's better for driving. Tribe Called Quest and a sunny day with windows down. I left my wallet in el segundo... Smiley Somehow though, working doesn't work out while listening to q-tip.

sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »

Being a musician, I cant really listen to other music while.... well, making music.

Yeah, don'tcha hate that?  I get pretty annoyed sometimes by that.

My music:
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 07:12:03 PM »

My pairing only occurs late at night when everything is ruined forever but it needs to be goddamn *finished*.

Broken by Nine Inch Nails.

And, of course, when it becomes clear that I can't actually get it finished in time - the song Gave Up is faintly comforting. Well ... at least appropriate.
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »

Me + finntroll = productivity.

alspal
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

Me + finntroll = productivity.

yes!
Kekskiller
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »

Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »

I've always been a fan of trance and techno - it gets the blood pumpin' and doesn't distract you with smart lyrics!

Cascada, Groove Coverage, DJ Encore. Coffee

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

Here's another random song-

, a tune written for The Powerpuff Girls. It's by Devo, which explains why I found it so damn catchy as a kid.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

That music video is at least five kinds of amazing. My favorite right now is the MOJOLATOR.

I think I'll put on the Powerpuff Girls movie.

|
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic