Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:15:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"Green-Grey World"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: "Green-Grey World"  (Read 11173 times)
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »

Hey, I've just recently found out my game, Being Struck By Lightning is Probably the Best Way That You Could Die On Account of All of Its Awesomeness was ported to Flash and has been floating around for a while under the name "Green-Grey World."

BSBLiPtBWTYCDoAoAiA:

Green-Grey World:

The developer of this port used most of my original graphics and level designs without contacting me. I did attempt to contact the developer, and he really didn't seem to understand why I was upset with this, and he hasn't gotten back to me since.

While somewhat flattered that someone would even bother to do this with my game, I am upset that someone did this without any consent from me.

I actually want to try and ask this guy if he'd consider turning it into an official port, but I can't find a good way to contact him.

Anyways, has this happened to any of you, or something similar? I remember something like this with a blatant Tumble Drop rip off on iPhone. I realize my games simple, and therefor easy to steal (obviously had no innovative concept or anything), but still... Not cool.  Mock Anger

My games on  GameJolt.com

Codemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:11:07 PM »

On the contrary, I would say it's VERY cool.  Beer!

Still, the guy definately should have contacted you. Jerk.  Hand Shake Right

I bet if I filled this up with 300 characters someone would bug me about it.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »

Its cool, and not cool at the same time. Tongue

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »

The guy is making money from your work, so it is definitely not cool.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »

Not sure when he changed it, but it looks like he credited you as "original inspiration," without even linking to your site. He's taken far too much of your game for it to be merely an inspiration. He didn't even bother changing the tiles or player sprite. What a dick.

agj has a good point. It's on mochi's site. It has mochi ads. The guy is making money from your hard work. You should probably bring this to mochigame's attention.

the advocater
Level 0

Ah! I'm falling!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

Yup, a dink alright. He needs a cyber beating.

ASHAMED
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »

I read about this on the Scirra forums. Such a shame people do this. Seems like more games get ripped off in flash then most other areas (even game maker) due to many ways you can actually profit from it.  I'd guess that if he refused to remove it there isn't much you could do. If it's on flash portals like Kong or NG then you could have it removed. Your game isn't original, I've seen other games like this-he could have just as easily made a game with the same play style with his own levels and his own ideas. Like those two games Jesse Venbrux did (you made it, you probably won't make it). Ah well.

I saw a Tanaka's Friendly Adventure ripoff over at FGL yesterday (it's gone now, I reported it). Ripped off sprites and the menu looked the same, etc. You navigated through a deadly maze to save your friends, instead of finding friends for a party. It was quite rubbish though, and very unflattering to Bento-Smile. Looked like it was programmed by a 12 yr old..at least your ripoff was done a bit better
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »

I'm all for taking inspiration from other games or even creative cloning but this one is pure ripoff.
And he did money from it, you should get in contact with "agame.com" or "mochimedia" who seemm likely to be sponsors of the game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jazmeister
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »

You've actually got legal rights in this case. Sounds like he owes you money, anyway.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »

There's not much to add since it's clear you should contact the sponsors to get this taken off.

I offer my support.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 10:10:45 PM »

You've actually got legal rights in this case. Sounds like he owes you money, anyway.

Well, good luck getting that from him. I'd say his best bet would be to contact the sponsors and mochiads. Legal action would take it too far and not worth the effort as far as I can see.

Maybe it's time for an e-beatdown  Cool

Personally, I agreed with the folks over at the Scirra forums. Contact him, and maybe see if you can make an official port? From his site, it seems that he is Russian.

his email is  [email protected]  (© 200x Студия дизайна «Boom!») and his site is boomstudio.ru obviously. I got that info from the source of the page hosting the ripoff game. Well, it may just be hosted there but I can't be sure (do not read russian). Either way, perhaps if it IS hosted at the above site you could try contacting that fellow and he could possibly point you in the correct direction.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:28:41 AM »

Thanks for all the help. I did contact "mochimedia" and I'm waiting for a reply on that. I'm going to try that "boomstudio" email adcress and see where that gets me, I'll let you know.

st33d
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:27:46 AM »

It's not a case of "inspired by", the levels are exactly the same. They couldn't even think up their own levels for crying out loud.

It's one thing to take an idea and run somewhere else with it, that's forgivable. This is blatant plagiarism.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:16:13 AM »

It's not a case of "inspired by", the levels are exactly the same. They couldn't even think up their own levels for crying out loud.

It's one thing to take an idea and run somewhere else with it, that's forgivable. This is blatant plagiarism.

we know, we know  Tongue. it's been mentioned already. refer to Cheater's post

anyways, agame.com does not have a contact link but again, I looked through their html source and saw that they are owned by a company called Spil Games (euro based, they own many crappy low quality flash portals: www.spilgames.com/portals/portals_where.php)

Main contact page with addresses and phone numbers:
http://www.spilgames.com/contact/

general contact link:
http://www.spilgames.com/contact/contact_request.php

email addresses listed here (marketing/public relations):
http://www.spilgames.com/presscenter/en/index.php

good luck  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Codemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »

The guy is making money from your work, so it is definitely not cool.

Ahhh, never mind then. It's not cool at all.  Facepalm

I bet if I filled this up with 300 characters someone would bug me about it.
mirosurabu
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »

Coincidentally, I saw this on FlashGameLicense long time ago and when I played the game I was like "Isn't this by the lokijki dude?". That's definitively not cool because he sold primary license to SpilGames AFAIK.

Additionally, I am in contact with a licensing manager from SpilGames so I can report this for you if you haven't already?

I saw a Tanaka's Friendly Adventure ripoff over at FGL yesterday (it's gone now, I reported it). Ripped off sprites and the menu looked the same, etc. You navigated through a deadly maze to save your friends, instead of finding friends for a party. It was quite rubbish though, and very unflattering to Bento-Smile. Looked like it was programmed by a 12 yr old..at least your ripoff was done a bit better

Oh, I want to see that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:15:39 PM by Miroslav Malešević » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 03:15:28 PM »

Yeah, I am aware of your port. This one was removed just a few days ago. That's why I said deadly maze and saving friends instead of finding them. He just ripped off the sprites and started from scratch, it had an Health bar and enemies but no graphics other than those an the Tanaka character. The main menu was laid out in a similar fashion but misaligned and awful. It also had no music.

Don't worry, your flash port is very faithful. I don't even remember the name of that ripoff game. But like I said, it showed up top of the new arrivals I reported it and left a comment and checked yesterday and it was removed.

The problem with the tanaka ripoff was he directly copied sprites, the menu layout, friends, and the 'party' mode idea but he called it something else and he was trying to sell it with a slightly violent twist and nothing else. I doubt Bento-Smile would give him the okay on that piece of garbage.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:18:40 PM by allen » Logged
mirosurabu
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. After re-reading it, I edited my post.

Still, I wish I saw the rip-off. Smiley
deathtotheweird
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 03:19:46 PM »

Oh, indeed. I wish I kept it but it was site locked so I deleted it. It was really hilarious.

(off-topic again, sorry)
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »

Additionally, I am in contact with a licensing manager from SpilGames so I can report this for you if you haven't already?

Yeah, go ahead, I haven't contacted them yet. I did contact MochiAds (I think that was what it was) and the "developer" of this and I haven't been getting replies.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic