Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:59:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"Green-Grey World"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: "Green-Grey World"  (Read 11174 times)
mirosurabu
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »

I've sent her an e-mail with a link to your game. They will probably get back at me tomorrow, so I'll let you know.
mirosurabu
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »

Oh, yes, it is on FGL. It's just under different name. Jump, run, jump-stop-jump-run

It's by the guy who made Higher.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »

I got a reply back from Michi, telling me that "Green-Grey World" predates my game. -.-

The website claimed the game was released 78 days ago, which I think is July 13th. Mine was put up on GameJolt 6/14/2009, and I was suddenly confused, until I realized that was June 14th, not July. Tongue

Anyways, he's credited me as the "original inspiration" on his game, so I don't think they have much of an argument there.

My games on  GameJolt.com

ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »

I am surprised people have the guts to rip-off other creators work like this. Surely most would get caught. Things on the world wide web tend to always get found... or am I just insanely ignorant?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 05:16:59 PM »

I got a reply back from Michi, telling me that "Green-Grey World" predates my game. -.-

The website claimed the game was released 78 days ago, which I think is July 13th. Mine was put up on GameJolt 6/14/2009, and I was suddenly confused, until I realized that was June 14th, not July. Tongue

Anyways, he's credited me as the "original inspiration" on his game, so I don't think they have much of an argument there.

Did you just say that MochiAd, the "established" company actually gave you the finger and defended a ripped off game?
That's important because I sense a potential cyber-lynching coming up  Evil

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
CROS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »

Apparently Mochi forgot that June comes before July. o_O
deathtotheweird
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »

They may not care because they get money from the ads that ripoff will generate. Every penny counts eh?

I just saw that FGL page for the "new and improved version" or whatever.

Commencing rage in 5..4..3.....Angry

just noticed I still have the same zip when it was released, was 5 days late though..sue me  Cool

can i haz cookie?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:57:19 PM by allen » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »

get me my fucking e-club

lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »

They may not care because they get money from the ads that ripoff will generate. Every penny counts eh?

Thats not the impression I got, I think they may have made an honest mistake. I'm still waiting for a reply; don't start the e-beating yet. Tongue

mirosurabu
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »

This is his avatar over on FGL. You should feel honored.

mirosurabu
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:21 AM »

Quote from: Spil Games
HI Miroslav,Thanks for letting me know. I did not know that game, so I did not know that Green Gray World was a bit of a clone.

We’ll keep a close eye on the game and any legal developments.

Thanks again.

Reply from Spil Games.

I sent them another e-mail pointing out that GGW is not just a bit of a clone and that if I ported original game and tried to look for sponsorship I will be rejected for simple that it is way too similar to GGW.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »

"bit of a clone?" yikes. Screw Spil Games.

keep a close eye on the game? wow... they could just avert any "legal developments" (ho ho  :D) by simply removing it.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »

Got another response from the guy. (A few more, actually.)

So now he's refused my offer to change the game to a port, and he's also said that he can't remove "his" game because its already on 100+ websites.

Its getting very frustrating, as most of his replies assume everything's fine because he's already put my name in the credits page. (Without a link back to the original game, of course.)

But I have gotten into contact with several other people besides him about the game. Steve from FlashGamesLicense.com said he'd look into it, and MochiAds said everything checked out and I asked them to see what they could do about removing the game. Still waiting for replies back, but hopefully everything will work out ok.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »

that sucks hard I figured there would be nothing you can do..although I believe the "100's of portals" would just be all of the sites Spil Games owns (company that sponsored him).

if anything, I hope that MochiAds and FGL at least come around.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »

Technically MochiAds is making money off plagiarized work.
A good frontpaging could be useful here Well, hello there!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mirosurabu
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »

Huje Tower was removed from Kongregate because it played like World of Goo (and in no way it is a port of WoG) and author had to get the permission from 2DBoy to release it. But that's WoG.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »

Yeah I played Green-Grey BEFORE playing Lightning.  Then I tried Lightning to see the similarities.

WOW.  It's basically the SAME game, except for a few bugs introduced by Green-Grey.  The same levels, same graphics, same blah blah blah.  I mean, the music is different.  Hurray?

You know I didn't realize how many outright steals (I ain't calling it a clone) exist out there.  I had no idea how pervasive it was until I started going through the forum on this site. 

It's ridiculous.  Why would a programmer waste his time creating an exact duplicate of someone else's work?  And then pass it off as his own on *the INTERNET*?  What kind of mish-mash of somewhat-intelligent and awesomely-stupid is this human being?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »

Alright, got another reply from MochiMedia, basically saying its not their problem.

They told me to work it out with the developer, and looking at his replies so far, that probably isn't going to work.

I think at this point it would be really helpful if you guys just started emailing people; the developer ([email protected], posted a page back), Kongregate (Who I haven't contacted yet), MochiMedia, and any other big site where this game is being hosted. I've contacted a lot of people, and really no ones taken any action yet.

Also, I was pointed to MochiMedia's copywrite dispute page. If anyone thinks they can help decipher it and do something with it, please do. I'm really no good with this sort of thing. Smiley

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »

We're actually looking into it again.  I was truly hoping something could be worked out outside of Mochi as the Flash developer seemed somewhat willing to compromise.  It seems like this isn't the case.  Thanks for bringing it into our attention.
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »

The game is now disabled for both ads and distribution.  Unfortunately, the game has spread quite significantly and needs to be taken down manually.  As an indie myself, I'll also do my part in e-mailing the appropriate parties to see what we can do to resolve the situation.  Again, sincere apologies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic