Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:01:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel Font Collection
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Font Collection  (Read 8260 times)
ChevyRay
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »

Alright, I'm working on finished a Flash engine that I want to go open-source with once I get all (when I find them) bugs out of it. Think Flixel, but with a lot more support classes and a bit differently structured, and I'll have stuff like pre-made platformer, overhead/etc. engines that people can use to code with and stuff.

While it has font support, I want to have a pixel-font system as well, in which you can use your own BMP tiles as fonts, because making font-files is bothersome and a lot of people hate Flash's font/text system (I'm not particularly fond of it). When I release the engine, I want to have it come with a bunch of pixelated fonts as well. so people can use them, use them as bases, or even just use the built-in text support without having to make a font for it first.

I thought it'd be cool to just have a bunch of fonts made by indies from around TIG, so if you've got any pixellated fonts you've made for games or whatever and don't mind sharing it around, or if you want to make one that'll be in the engine Smiley post it here! Feel free to give it a name (cool, creative names are encouraged), and I'll title it with the name and creator when I release the engine. Oh, and give us the tile size too.

Plus, pixel fonts are cool! I'll link to them from here as you post them Gentleman so people can browse through them all.

ChevyRay:

ZeuglinRush:

nooks:

Pietepiet:

Letsap:

FONT LAYOUT

Layout
If possible, arrange your bitmap font according to the ASCII order of characters. You can start with any particular character (usually #32, the SPACE [" "] character) and after that every character should be the next character as ordered by that list. If there are characters you want to skip, leave a blank space for them in the tileset.

Format
Please send them in either PNG or BMP format, as tiles with no spaces between tiles. They'll be considered "fixed width" fonts for now, but I'm going to add dynamic-width support as well, if your font is designed to look that way. I'll take care of placement for that, though, so don't worry about it. Transparency and or alpha-antialiasing is fine, but not necessary.

Special Characters
Any characters that don't appear on that Ascii table that you want to use, such as smile emotes, hearts, arrows, or whatever (fun or useful stuff) is fine, too. Just place them after character #127 [DEL] on the bitmap, and I'll worry about standardizing them according to what's common and stuff and fixing up the fonts so they're all arranged properly.

Peace!

PS: feel free to just post your pixel fonts here, too, even if you don't want me to share them with the engine. Just make sure to mention that you don't want it used when you post it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:42:38 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »

I made a 4x4 font. Dunno about readability, since I haven't really used it in anything yet:

looks a bit like one of those 2d barcodes at this size.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructions/show/zaratustra_bigital

If you like anything else in http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructors/zaratustra/fontstructions, feel free to use it.

ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »

Are these BMP fonts? I can't figure out how to download them...

EDIT: Holy, tiny font ZR! Nice, though, I'll put it in the engine Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:20:49 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
.Vic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »

8x9px button effect font

7x8px, inspired by Links Awakening

5x6px, with lowercase characters

6x7px, made for a NES mockup

12x6px, kinda unfinished

too lazy to think of names

Do they need to be in a specific layout or something? Dunno if they are actually usable right now.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »

a subpixel font created over here: http://www.typophile.com/node/61920

for those who don't know, subpixel relies on colors -- there's actually no black in the image above, zoom in to prove it to yourself

Jolli
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

i like the button effect font @noojs
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »

// pure awesomeness

Do they need to be in a specific layout or something? Dunno if they are actually usable right now.

Aw thanks man, you're a saint! Tears of Joy

Oh shoot, I can't believe I didn't mention that they should be in Ascii order. I can arrange them if they don't work. Basically tiles, counting from left-to-right and top-to-bottom. They can all be on one row, or in multiple rows, whatever works.

Thanks for that one, Paul! Subpixel is awesome. Amazingly readable for being so tiny.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:00:56 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:32 AM »

http://www.pentacom.jp/soft/ex/font/edit.html

This will come in handy. You can directly edit pixelfonts there and save them as a .ttf

Made this one with it a while ago, called Supertiny. 3x3 font:

Example:

Font file here:
http://pietepiet.legendofjelda.com/random/supertiny.ttf

[EDIT] I was lazy and don't have a bmp Sad
ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »

http://www.pentacom.jp/soft/ex/font/edit.html

This will come in handy. You can directly edit pixelfonts there and save them as a .ttf

Yeah mang, but if only I didn't need them as Bitmaps Outraged

Wink <3 lovin that wee font! We need a 2x2 font now, and a 1x1 one as well.

EDIT: that is a really cool tool, though!
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »

If you don't know how to take a screenshot of a font to make a bitmap out of it, I'm beginning to doubt your ability to make this engine.

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »

If you don't know how to take a screenshot of a font to make a bitmap out of it, I'm beginning to doubt your ability to make this engine.

Wow, what's up your ass?
Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »

I think this post lacks a huge amount of originality.

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
Renton
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »

Wow, what's up your ass?
I'm guessing
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »

8x9px button effect font

Lovely font.  Kiss  Would you mind terribly if I used it for something...?

ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »

Yeah I was just bein jokin at Pietepiet because he's my good buddy and I knew he wouldn't take it seriously Cry

And it actually is a lot of meticulous work to arrange the fonts on a bitmap when they're not done right; for example, nooks' tiles are lovely, but the the characters aren't placed evenly about in the first one, so I have to actually take each letter on his tileset, put it on a fixed grid, arrange all like 80 or so of them in ASCII order, and then save it again. It's not that big of a deal, but my wrist is sore from working and drawing on the computer so much, so any clickity work I can be spared is nice.

That being explained, I am quite capable of making this engine, which I have already finished, and is quite impressively fast and manageable if I do say so myself. It's being made not only for my use, but for the benefit of other people who have trouble getting started making Flash games as well, which I thought would be a pretty nice thing to do. Why any talents I may have are up for jibing investigation, I don't know.

So, sorry if I said something wrong. I actually really liked the look of the font you posted, and after some searching I think I just have to register to the site to download it, so I was just wondering if you have a bitmap handy is all (all the letters aren't viewable all at once on that little viewer thing, and it's scaled up so much).

Thanks for stickin' up for me guys, but let's not take it any further than this. Just post more lovely pixel fonts Smiley
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »

It's missing some particular characters since I use them for text command stuff like speeding up or slowing down, but if you like the font I can fill it out again! And if not, I'm looking for ways to improve it, too. Coffee

ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

Thanks Letsap, it's a nice font. Not particularly font of the shadow (maybe if it was darker, so it didn't produce that weird double-image effect), but it's nice and readable.

14x14 right? Or is there spacing between the letters? I like to crop them down as much as possible, because it makes a huge difference in the amount of pixel information is being copied when I do this in flash.

I'm gonna do another font today too, now that I got letter-by-letter printing and alignment working today Smiley yaay.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

Yup, it's 14x14. Darker shadows does kinda make sense. Thanks!

.Vic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »

8x9px button effect font

Lovely font.  Kiss  Would you mind terribly if I used it for something...?

Not at all , go ahead and have fun with it  Beer!

Just wondering, this is how you need them to be arranged, right?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:48:37 AM by nooks » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic