Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:07:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStargazer - [Updated with new video]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stargazer - [Updated with new video]  (Read 2093 times)
Ashmaran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

This is a game I've been developing the past 5 months or so. The basic premise is to link stars together to create pictures, like you were looking up at the night sky.

This plays out in the following ways:

Challenge Mode: You are given an image to recreate using the stars given. You can start from any star, but you must recreate the image by connecting the right stars. You can view a hint at any time, which not only shows you the image again, but it marks any incorrect moves in red. If you are completely stuck and haven't made any moves, showing the hint selects the first star for you. Players are given a gold, silver or bronze award based on how long it took them to complete the image.

Free Mode: In this mode you are given a random assortment of stars and you can create your own images. You can even move the stars around to more interesting positions.

Custom Challenges: You can play any player created challenge (from Free Mode) in this mode and get ranked on it just like the challenges that come with the game. Right now to distribute challenges to friends you just need to make sure the appropriate files are dropped into your Challenges directory.

Video:

Beta demonstration video is available here:

Development Diaries:

To read up more on the game and how it has developed so far, you can check out the website:

http://www.ashmaran.com/stargazer.htm

I also have an entry for the game on Mod DB with some more screenshots:

http://www.moddb.com/games/stargazer

Platforms:

Right now I'm developing it on the PC using XNA. I guess this means an Xbox version is possible, but I'm not sure how well it would work. Plus you wouldn't be able to distribute your own challenges to friends as easily. I do want to make a version for mobiles, like iPhone or Android. I think this would be a great game to kill time on the go.

Latest Developments:

Added more stat tracking and profile switching. Focusing on polishing now to enter some Indie game comps. Looking for feedback from people.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:49:27 PM by Ashmaran » Logged

Current project Stargazer devlog
ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »

Origina? Isn't this essentially what "connect the dots" is? Sorry, not dissing the game, it just seems odd to put "original" in the title. That's sort of like calling a game of Xs & Os game original.

Welcome to TIGSource! We do have an Obligatory Introduction Thread just so you know, where it's usually appreciated people stop to say hi and tell us a bit about themselves before pimping their stuff. Also, this is also a good thread to check out before posting much.

Peace Smiley
Ashmaran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »

Done and done.

Speaking of the original angle, well to be fair yes I haven't designed something never ever seen before. But then again I haven't seen any games like it, and I've definitely been looking. Plus every puzzle game I see these days (especially indie stuff) seems to revolve around the match 3 things mechanic, so I wanted to appear a little different.

Ashmaran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »

Wow there hasn't been a lot of interest in the game. Then again it is a lot more interesting to play, rather than look at or read about. I have a version playable by people, are some interested in giving it a go?

The latest work on the game has involved adding in more stat tracking and profile changing. I've noticed that different people play the game in different ways, and I'm hoping to analyse and communicate this to players.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic