Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:03:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShmups!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shmups!  (Read 2939 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »

Lately I have been playing a lot of R-Type and have been branching out and trying to find more Shmups. I used to play the genre a lot when I was younger on my Genesis with Lightning Force and such but now I am slightly out of the loop. It would be great if anyone here could point me in the direction of some intense twitch-based action. Brownie points for indie shmups Smiley Haven't played very many...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:28:50 PM »

If you haven't checked it out, I recommend reading the doujin shmups feature http://www.tigsource.com/features/doujin-shmups.html.  That has a good selection of indie games.  There's also Shoot the Core, a ginormous database of shmups http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/.
On the non-indie side, I can name a few off the top of my head... Gradius V, Mushihime sama (check out videos of that on youtube), Dangun Feveron (sp?), Guwange, Ikaruga, DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou, and Espgaluda.  They're for various systems (mostly PS2 and arcade), but those are all very "twitchy"... well, maybe except for Dangun Feveron.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »

I was about to say shootthecore.

But

Someone beat me to it, and is therefore verily a bastard.

Smiley

(Smilies make insults socially acceptable on the nets.)

idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »

Cool
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »

Thanks for the info man Smiley

Time to shoot some shit.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:10:28 AM »

I love shmups, except I have no skill nor reflexes to match.

Still on level 1 of R-type...  Cry
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »

Here's a shmup me and thewreck created during two days, during an event in Malmö, Sweden, called "Spelfest".
Spacefest
And this is how fancy we looked while working on it (warning! pre-monocle-era):
Depiction

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:37:21 AM by Kinten » Logged

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »

the2bears is another indie shmup blog you might be interested in, since the writer is a fan of R-Type. You should also try the modern, canonical, Japanese indie shmups of Kenta Cho (a developer to which some people have given a god-like status).

Currently, my favorite favorite Japanese, indie shmup is Electric Bird because of its unique pace and atmosphere. It might seem to be a bit slow for some, but it can be either somewhat-twitchy or thoughtful depending on how you play it.

Although there is much shmup development around the world, a majority of these games come from Japan, so you should definitely checkout the doujin scene.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »

the2bears is another indie shmup blog you might be interested in, since the writer is a fan of R-Type. You should also try the modern, canonical, Japanese indie shmups of Kenta Cho (a developer to which some people have given a god-like status).

Currently, my favorite favorite Japanese, indie shmup is Electric Bird because of its unique pace and atmosphere. It might seem to be a bit slow for some, but it can be either somewhat-twitchy or thoughtful depending on how you play it.

Although there is much shmup development around the world, a majority of these games come from Japan, so you should definitely checkout the doujin scene.

If you'll show me how to download out of that crazy japanese website...

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:04 AM »

Kenta Cho has an English page for most Windows games he has released, so I'm assuming you are referring to Electric Bird (the direct download for now). As for Cho's games, it would be better to focus on everything from Noiz2sa to the present.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »

No forgetting the Shanghai Alice shooters; Perfect Cherry Blossom if nothing else, for it is fantastical insanity. Basically I'm a sucker for anything of the bullet hell variety.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »

ProtoType is pretty R-type-ish... Smiley

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:44:46 AM »

cactus has made several cool schmups (Clean Asia is up for a couple awards at this year's IGF).  Kenta Cho of course has already been mentioned, and he does awesome stuff.  Then there's also Varia and Ablation (an artsy 4-color gameboy style shooter).

Outside the indie sphere, there's a bunch of really cool obscure Genesis shooters.  I'm usually pretty terrible at bullet dodging, so I don't actually play schmups that often, but I love the way they look :O.

@doomlaser, mark johns
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:51:04 AM »

Yeah the genesis has the best shooters for some reason, but I wouldn't call Musha/aleste or thunderforce "obscure".

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic