Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:33:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMagus Magus : Shmup&Fighting Hybrid
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Magus Magus : Shmup&Fighting Hybrid  (Read 6231 times)
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »

© GPTouch

GAME INFO

Magus Magus is a multiplayer fighting video game with shooting video game
elements.
The game focuses more on long-range attack rather than a close combat like other
fighting games. The play controls are also greatly simplified in comparison to other
fighting games. The game area resembles an arena shooting game, which allow
player to roam around the area freely in all 8 directions.
The game also feature bullet hell elements from bullet hell/curtain fire shooting
games. This ranges from a barrage attack to a special move that turn a character
into a shooting game boss, with the player be able to control the attack pattern.
The game can be played with as many as 4 players at a time, make it suitable for a
light party game. However, the game mechanic is also designed to be deep
enough for hardcore gamers to enjoy.

SETTING

In the future, a super smart dust called 'Magia Dust' was invented. The devices
have an ability to control the natural world within their range, which resembles
something people in the past used to call ‘magic’.
Over the time the art of fighting with Magia, a magic created from Magia Dust,
becomes the world’s most popular sport called “Magus Battle”.
The story starts with a rumor of a secret Magus Battle Tournament with a prize
being ‘one wish will be granted’ has been spread around the world. After all the
elimination rounds, only 8 Magus were able to go on to the next round, which will
be held on an island, far far away. The real tournament has just begun.

CHARACTERS

GAMEPLAY VIDEO
Old GM Version
http://www.youtube.com/v/2JC3mMN3QQs

New C++ Version
http://www.youtube.com/v/qA7EYMrzxwo

And old project that I decided to pick it up again :D I'll come back with more info.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

really awesome looking art and logo.

the game looks interesting, but also kind of hard to see. I'm not sure how to dodge all the bullets  Shocked

haha

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »

Great art, and good engine progress from what I can tell. However, FOUR people doing bullet hell attacks? Wouldn't that be even more near impossible than a regular bullet hell game?
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

As for the difficulty, you have a barrier to protect you from all the bullets Smiley  And only one player can use the special skill, which turn them into a bullet hell boss, at a time.  I'll try to balance the game to not make it too impossible.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »

This is an insanely interesting idea. A four player multiplayer bullethell schmup, why hasn't anyone thought of this before My Word!

You also seem to be pulling it off very nicely, the size of the arena feels great and I love the style of a cut out piece of ground floating around. What you maybe should consider is making the terrain a little more detailed, and I think it would add a lot of feeling if it was also destructable. All you need is to make three or four models for each object such as a tree, and switch between them when the object takes damage.

Character designs are awsome!

Have you considered that instead of a spheric shield you could have a shield that is only covering the player from one direction, and you need to rotate it the right way to block bullets? Would be slightly more skill-based.

I'll keep an eye on this, now: continue!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »

The character designs look great, and the game looks like a lot of fun. Do all the different characters each have their own unique bullet patterns and such?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »

Nice!

As someone who has been spending a lot of time staring at bullet patterns lately, let me just say, I like your patterns a lot!  This looks like a lot of fun!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »

Thanks for all the comments, especially about the arts! They are done by Piti So all credits should go to him Smiley

@JLJac
Your destroyable map objects are very interesting. I'll try and see if I can implement that without problems. Shouldn't be too hard. Right now there is really no collision between anything with the map objects so I have to deal with that first.

Also, yes I have considered that barrier option. However, since you cannot guard forever with the barrier, I think it would be too difficult for players to use. Barrier drains your magic power,which is used for attack, instead of taking damage. If your magic power ran out from guarding too much you'll be stunned.

Another reason is that the game has a 'Reflector' system which is like parry in Street Fighter 3. Activate the barrier just before you get hit will create a reflector instead of a barrier that will turn all the bullets nearby into your own and shoot them back at your enemies. With a directional shield option, it would be too difficult to perform this when the game gets chaotic, I think.

But of course,I'm still considering that option. The game still needs a lot of testplay and it could be changed in the future Smiley

@Destral
Yes, they do. Also, their battle style and strategy are also unique. Some characters can launch options that will aid in their battle. Some characters can cause bad status alignment like in RPG game or modern fighting games ( reverse movement/ seal special move / seal barrier etc. )

@Montoli
Glad you like the pattern! It might not be as fancy as ZUN's, considering the nature of the game, but I'll try my best Smiley

As for the progress, Piti finished one of the character model :D

Kon Crete is a close combat fighter. Though attack range is poor, his power makes up for it. His moves allows him to get closer to the enemy which you can follow up with his normal attack in close range. He can boost his attack, defense or speed temporary with his special move, which allow players to change his playstyle depending on the situation. He use Electric magia, which most of them has a 'penetrate' attribute that will penetrate through enemy and continue dealing damage until the bullet leaves the enemy completely.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

Nice design! I like how it isn't just BULLETS, but stuff like SUPER SPECIAL EFFECT BULLETS and MOVES TO HELP BULLETS.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

Very awesome modeling!  I can almost see his manly bits.  Corny Laugh

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

Very awesome indeed, hima. Cool to see you posting this on TIG.  Cool

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »

Wao, are you working on an extreme makeover and changes all the character to such details? That would be stunning though

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »

haha nice V-line ;]

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 09:01:59 PM »

he looks ready for penetration all right

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »

I just noticed... That guy's pants look a bit low, according to his anatomy and where his pack ends.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »

I thought all rappers/bboys wear pants that low  Tongue If it isn't true I'll blame my friends for giving me that impressions.  Embarrassed

Got map obstacles done. Now you can hide behind trees or other obstacles that can block bullets to keep you safe from people's attacks. Will implement hitpoints to obstacles that are destroyable so you can't hide forever and it is more fun blowing things :D

I'm still having a problem with obstacle and pixel movement though. Right now if you walk and hit an obstacle, you stuck there until you change direction. But what I want is to let the character trying to go around the obstacle, if possible, without changing the direction. I guess I have to look into that later.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »

I thought all rappers/bboys wear pants that low  Tongue If it isn't true I'll blame my friends for giving me that impressions.  Embarrassed

Got map obstacles done. Now you can hide behind trees or other obstacles that can block bullets to keep you safe from people's attacks. Will implement hitpoints to obstacles that are destroyable so you can't hide forever and it is more fun blowing things :D

I'm still having a problem with obstacle and pixel movement though. Right now if you walk and hit an obstacle, you stuck there until you change direction. But what I want is to let the character trying to go around the obstacle, if possible, without changing the direction. I guess I have to look into that later.

Welll uhhhh, low is one thing. But they generally have underwear/boxers to cover the space lost. That.... Just looks like his trousers are ready to drop and unleash 'the mighty jungle' on you.  Big Laff

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

That model is amazing, especially if it has so few polys that I think it has. How many are there? You could maybe put a pair of boxer shorts on him though :D

About shields, maybe it would be interesting for one specifik character to have the directional shield, but as a compensation it is always up and drains no energy. If this is combined with very low health you would get an interesting character that is very hard to kill with attacks coming from just one side, but very vulnerable to attacks that strikes from many different directions.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »

I think it's pretty high but we're using it as a pre-rendered sprite, so I'm not worried too much about polygons. I don't want to go crazy with loading and rendering model for this game. And most of all I don't know how to count polygons X( I'll ask Piti the guy who did this and come back with the number later :D

Also he actually have a pair of boxers on, maybe the angle make it difficult to notice. Don't worry, you won't see anything in the game. I don't want my game to get AO rating lol  Gentleman

The shield idea is pretty neat. Having each character has theirown shield type would be pretty difficult to balance though but that's an interesting idea. It would also fit as a special move of some characters that should be played defensively. Thanks for the idea!

Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:52 AM »

This just looks like it would be an incredibly fun game to take to a LAN party.
I'll keep an eye on this for sure! Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic