Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:42:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMagus Magus : Shmup&Fighting Hybrid
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Magus Magus : Shmup&Fighting Hybrid  (Read 6213 times)
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 06:38:18 AM »

This looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Wartech (Senko no Ronde for those less American), only probably a bit better done.

I look foreword to this!
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

Fighting game with projectiles. bah. Have you never seen the Touhou fighting games?

Not that it's a bad idea, obviously. Those games are currently among my favorite games.

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »

Fighting game with projectiles. bah. Have you never seen the Touhou fighting games?

Not that it's a bad idea, obviously. Those games are currently among my favorite games.

Personally, my complaint with those was that they were more on the fighting side than the bullet-dodging side.  There was some (non-official) one that I can't remember the name of, which looked closer to this, but the fighters seem more like projectile-heavy street-fighters than vs. shooters.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »

My point was more that the idea is not unprecedented.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

Of course, I do know that the idea of combining fighting and shmup genre has been done already. Still, the hybrid of these two genres hasn't been explored much, since there are not many games that take on this concept.

From what I researched, there are three Touhou fan games that take on this concept and focusing more on shmup rather than fighting. They are Touhou Rekkaden, Touhou Gensokyo Rensa, and Acceleration Of Patchouli ( which is a parody of the game that also take on this concept, Acceleration of Suguri )

However, Touhou Rekkaden isn't complete, since it's only 1 player even though it's 4 people brawl.Touhou Gensokyo Rensa is also a bit slow IMO. Acceleration of Suguri was great, but again, it's 1-on-1. Even though Acceleration Of Patchouli make it possible to fight against 4 people, but I think balancing of Acceleration of Patchouli is pretty terrible. I haven't tried Senkou No Ronde, but I have downloaded all the videos and system and mechanic explanation and studied it to see how the design work.

My point is that, you're right that this idea isn't unprecedented. But there aren't many games that take on this idea. And I personally think another addition to the hybrid of these two genres wouldn't hurt :D

@Makai
I'd LOVE to make the network play, but my network programming isn't enough to pull that off at the moment. Cry I'll try to finish the offline version first and learn more about that later and makes a network play patch or something. Or if anyone has any suggestion on how should I take this matter, I'd really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:25:13 PM by hima » Logged

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »

Considering the stage size and everything, we have decided to change the style of the model to be somewhat similar to Namco X Capcom.

Also, Piti got some animation done. Just click on the image below!

And I feel like the process of prerender this into 2D is kind of tiring. Maybe I'll just go ahead and learn how to load 3d model properly. Crazy
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:52:24 AM by Hima » Logged

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »

My point was more that the idea is not unprecedented.

Sadly, at this point, extremely few ideas are. Tongue

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 05:50:02 PM »

And I feel like the process of prerender this into 2D is kind of tiring. Maybe I'll just go ahead and learn how to load 3d model properly. Crazy
I think that would be a better idea.

This looks to be pretty darn cool. I agree with all suggestion already given. One question though, what are doing for controls? This looks like something would benefit from dual analog or something like it.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »

If it was full-on 3D you could pull off so pretty awesome camera angles, and such.

I say go for it, man! :D

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »

And the decision has been made! I'll go for full 3D. I forgot about alternate costume/color for players with same characters. Changing a texture seems so much easier than prerender the same model x number of costumes X(

Hopefully I can pull off awesome camera angles Mock Anger

One question though, what are doing for controls? This looks like something would benefit from dual analog or something like it.
I wholeheartedly agree with the dual analog. And yes, the game support that! You can use normal gamepad or keyboard, but that would allow you to move only in 8 directions, whereas the analog stick will give you much more natural control.

I'm going to buy hori fighting stick today. Hopefully it'll work with my game because then it would be really really cool. At least it can give me and illusion that my game is ported to arcade. Tongue

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »

Hima!  Hey, it's cool to see you over here... I just signed up today.  I had no idea you were making another game!  As always, the art is looking really great ^_^  Good luck with this project, I'll make sure to check back for updates!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »

Laura! Haven't seen you for like forever :D I thought you're too busy with Plants Vs Zombie and your next music project XD  Still looking forward to your game Wink

Also I still own you arts so don't hesitate to ask if you need any  Gentleman

Soooo I have been learning how to handle 3d model and all. And even with the help of a game library, I still manage to screw up. How nice.

Aliens Fight! Very cool...not. lol.  I think it's pretty funny so might as well post it here.

Anyway, I've fixed the problem and here's the video of the game so far. I think the animation management still need some works and I might move that to scripting side instead ( I'm using AngelScript ) Since I can spend all the time that I wasted on recompiling everytime I tweak animation parameters on something else.

Video 1 :

Video 2 :

Again, the white sphere is not a barrier but a lock-on placeholder. The barrier is an animated sphere one.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »

Good choice of music, very fitting. Giggle
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 12:58:37 AM »

Thank-you Smiley  I'm actually almost done with my game!  Although there's still a ton of little things left that I have to take care of... it's so overwhelming >_<  I'm having fun though with some of the late game cutscenes.  And yes, I still want to work with you guys for art!  Hopefully once my game is finished I can get back to making more music so we can work on that MV together Smiley

That 3D picture is hilarious... how did that happen??  And that's cool you like Atari Kousuke.  I've been getting more into enka-influenced music lately.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic