Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:24:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 238127 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »

good to know I was just writing a little article series about awesome flash games. I'll wait until it's totally complete before releasing the one with Red Rogue in it.

killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 15, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

Are you going to add any achievements or whatever to the Kongregate version? Not sure if newsgrounds has a system like that or not...
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 15, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »

ANYONE GOT LINUX?

I'm running a PC with Ubuntu, but I don't really understand how to use it.  I installed it not too long ago out of desperation when my family's Windows install kicked it, and I've been feeling my way through ever since. I'd be glad to help, though, what I can.

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY 4TH DECEMBER 2012

That's also the day Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion releases. I don't know if that news will affect your decision.

That's the day after London Indies. I intend to have a mighty hangover.

Beer!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 16, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »

ANYONE GOT LINUX?

I'm running a PC with Ubuntu, but I don't really understand how to use it.  I installed it not too long ago out of desperation when my family's Windows install kicked it, and I've been feeling my way through ever since. I'd be glad to help, though, what I can.
Maybe you can help reproduce a bug I had when I tried to make an executable for st33d.
st33d
« Reply #1264 on: November 16, 2012, 01:07:23 AM »

Someone else has msged me a linux build (link is broken though). I'll mirror all of them over this weekend and we can compare notes. I notice that the indie bundle usually has several linux builds. Not sure what that's about. If people could try with the "debug" desktop projector then it may spit out any errors, then I can put in a patch so Linux people get a smoother ride.

I won't be doing flash portal achievements until I have a confirmed stable release build (there's bound to be bugs). Even then it'll be whether I can really be bothered.

Skyrim DLC isn't much of a threat - their last DLC didn't get great reviews and I think most people have moved on to other games. Not knocking Skyrim though - it's quite an amazing piece of work.
antoniodamala
« Reply #1265 on: November 16, 2012, 01:54:49 AM »

Just posted to say this game is a masterpiece and i'm waiting for the release.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
More
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 16, 2012, 02:07:44 AM »

Looking for last monster/trap/chest to clear the level or backtracking up to the overwolrd to drop some scrolls and loot is kinda boring, though.

My buddy says it's my own fault, because clearing levels and identifying all spells are not the goal of this game, finding the Amulet is.
But eh, old habits is hard to break.
st33d
« Reply #1267 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »

that's what portal and identify runes are for
More
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »

They are not always available.
st33d
« Reply #1269 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »

Such is the will of Rng.

(note to self: Balrog needs to be a level higher than normal when playing as the Immortal)
Ryland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

Here's the 32-bit linux build I sent st33d: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23228112/redrogue

I might take that link down once he's mirrored it. Running out of space in my dropbox. Smiley
st33d
« Reply #1271 on: November 17, 2012, 06:52:56 AM »

Update:

fixed swallow sound delay
minion now makes eating noises
xp rune now adds 1-3 levels when enchanting
settings can now be saved to a file from the debug menu (requires a restart when loading settings in)
Balrog is now one level higher than normal after the player has ascended

If you want to keep your game from the browser version and transfer it to the desktop version then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter whilst the game is running and use the debug menu to save out the settings. You can then load them back into the desktop version. This can technically be used to cheat a bit but someone has already ascended the game and it would be unfair to rob him of his immortal status.
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1272 on: November 17, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »

More by accident (or so I think) I stumbled into the overworld. It's a lovely scene, can't you do more of that than just the grey underworld?

st33d
« Reply #1273 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »

When I upload all the assets then people are welcome to have a crack at making colour versions of all of the animations and graphics. As well as adding new areas and writing the massive amounts of code and extra rules on every single object in the game that would be required for them to exist. By all means make a bigger and more colourful game than I have.

But Red Rogue is about the dungeon. The overworld is its entrance, the underworld its end. There is one more place you visit at the very end of the game and you only see 16x16 pixels of it.

That's the story I'm going to tell.
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1274 on: November 17, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »

But Red Rogue is about the dungeon. The overworld is its entrance, the underworld its end. There is one more place you visit at the very end of the game and you only see 16x16 pixels of it.

Sorry yes of course you're right, but you'll make the final game start in the overworld or will that be something one has to discover?

st33d
« Reply #1275 on: November 17, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »

The game is pretty much in the shape it will be released in. I'm just applying tweaks and fixing bugs, I don't want it to be any bigger than it is right now.

When you learn what the story is then it becomes clear why it starts with the rogue entering the dungeon proper, it could begin no other way.
st33d
« Reply #1276 on: November 20, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »

Bug fix update 460:

did some work on missile weapon AI - for some reason they were instructed to stand still if the target was below them  Huh?
missile weapon characters are also set to default to melee when close to an enemy
put a physics destruction check into the chaos walls - unable to reproduce the invisible wall bug, the bug may still exist
tidied up grammar of story (a friend helped proof read)

Oh, and here's a link to Ryland's Linux build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr1zv4y4odk3oio/redrogue

I'll ask around again the weekend before launch. There's not really anything left to do on the game that I can think of just right now. I will give it a playthrough for bugs over the weekend. I'm also asking Emigre what the deal is with the font I've used for the title. Some sales guy said it was just $39, but on their site it says $39 every 5 years. I'm already paying for redrogue.net every year, fuck paying for a raster of some font every 5 years. I might as well redo the title on my own based on the in-game font and at least have the text consistent throughout.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:55:44 PM by st33d » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »

Taking Ryan's build for a spin, will let you know if any bugs show up.
Ighalli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

I didn't find any bugs in the Linux build just now, but it seems like Identify runes are vastly more common than they were in the build from the 16th.  I think I found 5 or 6 in the first 11 floors compared to none at all in the first 9 floors (twice) when I played yesterday.  Maybe it's a fluke, but it seemed significant.

Thanks for making this game!
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

I didn't find any bugs in the Linux build just now, but it seems like Identify runes are vastly more common than they were in the build from the 16th.  I think I found 5 or 6 in the first 11 floors compared to none at all in the first 9 floors (twice) when I played yesterday.  Maybe it's a fluke, but it seemed significant.

Same here. The sudden abundancy of identify runes was really, really nice, though I don't know if it's what you wanted.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic