Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:08:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 236809 times)
st33d
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »

Holy shit I think I've cracked the map generator basics.

• place rooms on a grid - the grid is just a bit bigger than the amount of rooms we're going to use
  • randomly pick a partner for each room
  • randomly pick a side for a door on each room
  • connect the rooms by starting at one door and moving towards the other - However - we always favour paths we've already cut out, so any square that would involve cutting new holes has a distance penalty added to it. To force the tunneller to dig out at all, we mark the squares we've already been on, those will appear to the tunneller as walls that haven't been cut and will take more energy to move to.
  • when we reach our destination we flood fill to turn the route we took into empty space

The result looks a little like a printed circuit board (thin tunnels with blots of rooms), and there's little of tunnels touching, because the tunneller prefers to use old paths.

I think that the lack of windy tunnels into dead ends is probably preferable for a platformer, giving the player the chance to run around and explore chambers, every route leading to something interesting.

I thought that just randomly connecting rooms would give me broken maps, but it hasn't happened once. I have had to write a quit into the tunneler if it exceeds 200 cycles, but even on large maps I've never had isolated map portions occur once. I'll post up a demo later.

Next I need to lay over a framework of drop-thru platforms and ladders. Then we can see about introducing monsters, traps and items.
[/list]
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

Sounds like you've made quite a breakthrough their ^^.  Gentleman

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »

Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »

Shoes will replace gold. There will be many pairs of shoes to collect.
Hahaha... that's pretty awesome.  Despite being a girl, I don't have that many shoes... although my sisters both have a ton Tongue

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 05:58:18 AM »

For the first time in my life I have more than 2 pairs of shoes. I feel like half a man Sad

amountOfMan = 1.0 / (pairsOfShoes - 1)

Wich makes you:

Half a man if you own three pairs
A man if you own two pairs
Infinite man if you own 1 pair
A negative man(??!) if you don't own any shoes
Also it makes you two men if you own a pair and an odd shoe, and it says nothing about how to be a manbaby. This system doesn't make any sense.

So sorry for derailment Facepalm
st33d
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 06:03:58 AM »

A complex infinite man to be precise
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »

Nice Smiley  Well, when you put it that way, maybe I do have a lot of shoes compared to a guy, hehe Tongue  I hope things work out with your dungeon generator... dealing with those things can be very frustrating at times, but it sounds like you're on the right track.  Looking forward to reading more about your project! 

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
st33d
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »

One dungeon generator

The rooms seem a little spaced out, but I can always play around with the variables. It's all about getting in there and running around. Still trying to figure out how to distribute ladders and drop down platforms and make sure there are no game breaking pits to get trapped in.

I need logic that will get you around the whole dungeon. Randomly adding ladders and ledges can only come after the trusted routes from room to room are in, not before.

Trouble is, even the tunneller only makes a connected network by accident most of the time.

Huh?
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »

wow yea that's quite impresive, makes me wish I knew how to program sometimes -_-!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »

Oh, the generator you posted is fun and very thought provoking! This looks like a pretty fun challenge.

So I take it the really tall vertical passageways are going to be either one-way drops or ladders? I was wondering how those were going to be navigable.

Regarding placing drop-through floors, what about detecting loops after the basic shape of the map has been established? If there's a loop, one of the passages can become one-way, while the other remains possible to climb out of.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »

This is looking pretty damn awesome. I'm now lurking in this thread, manually!  Ninja

I AM FREE!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »

I've watched the generator tons of times, and have yet to see it have a disconnected room.
Using floodfill, can you tell what parts are separated, or does it just tell you that they are separated? If it's the former, than you could make another tunnel between the separated parts.
st33d
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »

I floodfill from room one and then check the upper left pixel of each room to check they are the same colour as the floodfill. I could force another tunnel between separated sections, but I've already got a Las Vegas algorithm by running it till I win.

I managed to get ladders and ledges by looking for L shapes of empty space - where the player could walk off and get trapped. There I would slap a ladder and ledge, and that gave me the opportunity to run around the dungeon!

But the light source is fucked, and it really needs the field of vision lighting to make you feel like you're exploring. I'm trying to port a shadowcasting algorithm from Python right now.

WTF
st33d
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »

Shadow casting implemented, and 1st gameplay demo up.

I've put all the demos into the first post.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »

Nice!

The shadows and the greyscale graphics create a interesting atmosphere. The map generator seems a little ladder-happy though. Maybe you could do another pass and consolidate neighbouring ladders with a platform "junction"? Maybe this wouldn't fit the game, just an idea innit  Giggle

Also, I discovered the inventory in that build  Ninja

st33d
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 12:42:34 PM »

Yah, I just set the cliff finder to add ladders to every cliff it could find so I could verify the whole dungeon could be explored.

I think there's a lot more that could be done to it to create interesting levels, but I've still got monsters, items, magic and traps to do yet and I need to get the basics of those in before I refine stuff.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

True. I find it frighteningly easy to get bogged down in refining the world-gen stuff...

Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »

I reallly liked that spent a whole just running around. game has a nice feeling about it.

well depending on where you are and environments you could have ropes or elevators notches in the walls to clime etc instead.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 08:17:34 PM »

It's a little confusing whether a tile is black because you don't see it, or because it's solid.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

Giving walls some sort of texture would be neat. Make it so texture only appears on the side of the block you can see. Just some sort of grey line on the outline of the wall would be fine, but I would go for a fade to black.

EDIT: Something faint too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:33:00 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic