Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:30:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 236838 times)
st33d
« Reply #940 on: May 11, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »

Bugfix 373

Gate/key game breaker fixed (credited in one of Red's dreams). Pretty much caused by a hard to see typo, the logic was fine.
Up/Down headstones added to stairways (a playtester at London Indies couldn't parse what stairs down were, now I hope it's obvious).
st33d
« Reply #941 on: May 12, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »

Update 374

Fixed game breaker selecting new game.
Added mushroom traps (appear in sewers zone and later zones - some dart trap types have been replaced with mushroom traps, a heal trap is now in the chaos zone).
Light rune now emits maximum light when thrown.
Content progression shuffled by zone.

This last one is a big change. The first level still has kobolds, light runes, knives and flies. Every level afterwards the new race, armour, weapon and spell that is added is now random.  Not completely random, content is broken up by zone and then shuffled in each set.

This means there's still content type progression by zone, but progression within a zone is random.

You might get to level 2 and have to fight orcs or level 6 and fight werewolves. You might find shortbows on level 3. This should help introduce people to more of the game quicker and make it harder to guess what things are.

Here's the podcast I was on talking about Red Rogue:

http://roguelikeradio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/episode-34-red-rogue-with-creator-aaron.html

Not listened to it yet, been too busy fixing stuff, I'll check what made the cut later. Apologies in advance for any poor sound quality, my computer was fighting Skype.
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

It's awesome you figured out that bug, I was kind of wondering if it would ever show up again. How do you debug flash games anyway? Can you add breakpoints and step through the logic?

Also, about having "more diverse combat": I think adding more runes rather then set effects on more weapons, though regarding the 180 attack thing, it seems like whips would be a good candidate for it, based on how whips tend to work in the Castlevania games, where swinging them causes you to hit a tiny bit behind you. Another possibility to spice up the combat is to add elemental runes with some special effects, like fire runes that cause enemies to be set on fire and run around for a while setting other enemies on fire, or ice runes that cause them to freeze in place for a bit and can possibly be used as platforms metroid style, or even lightning runes that cause quickening like bolts when you attack. Introducing elemental resistances could let runes attached to armor defend from some types of attacks, andgiving some monsters resistances and weaknesses may improve the strategy when fighting them, though it's something of a common trope in rpgs, though I don't think roguelikes do it that often. There could be a rune that let's melee weapons fire off a projectile attack using the shoot command if you aren't equipped with any throwing weapon, and you could always have rules for increasing the attack speed of weapons or your running speed for armor, and power rules which similarly increase attack/defense power.

Also also, just wondering, but what is your opinion of splitting up armor into head/body/accessory slots and let you wear one of each at once? Would that be too overpowered?

Edit: Just read about the new progression by zone, and I have to say it's a really awesome way to mix stuff up and not have the early levels be quite as predictable. Neat!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:07:49 PM by killozapit » Logged
st33d
« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »

Update 375

room quantities revised yet again
fixed teleport darts not working
fixed minion not spawning from underworld portal
dart gun trap now has a visible gun on the ceiling (pit traps and monster traps still invisible - going with a partial visibility theme now to cut down on searching)
actions bound to hotkeys now show the keyboard key in their name - this is bound to have bugs but I'm sure it is a welcome feature.
game is now silent when paused (the music will return in the title menu)
st33d
« Reply #944 on: May 14, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »

Update 375

mimic rate increased to 1 in 5
fixes item going invisible from testing darkness of wrong tile
coloured xp/light/leech/chaos runes when thrown
xp thrown rune emits quickening (still turns into a grindstone anyway)
fixed leech rune cursing blood and leeches (not supposed to)
changed Effect transformations to conform to new content progression

Did fun bit of math the other day. For the rogue to reach level 20 by using the grindstone alone would require 44 consecutive days of playing.

Right - hopefully the game is stable for now. Most of the major bugs have been fixed. I'm off to play Diablo 3 for a while. Cheerio.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: May 15, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »

Does that number include having your minion grind with you?
st33d
« Reply #946 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »

Ah, didn't consider that.

That would probably halve the time. And if you were both wearing max-haste armour it would halve the time yet again.

About 11 days then.

Of course if you made a grindstone in the dungeon you could take on goblin form and reduce the time even further.

This is all assuming there is no memory leak in the game that will cause it to crash before running constantly for a week and a half. Given my track record...
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:02 AM »

Wow... they were really critical on that podcast.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 16, 2012, 05:25:44 AM »

Quick question, do the hidden rooms have any use? I never find anything inside them.

st33d
« Reply #949 on: May 16, 2012, 05:32:29 AM »

You get a chunk of experience points for revealing them. By revealing secrets and disarming traps you can get ahead of the standard experience curve.

Not sure about guaranteeing content in them though. I'll consider it since you found it odd.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 16, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »

Haven't played this in a while, now I am addicted Apoplectic

I am in awe of the amount of work you've put into it  Hand Clap Smiley

EDIT: I found a bug maybe? I started a new game after dying in the sewers, and my minimap was gone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:31:12 PM by Belimoth » Logged

st33d
« Reply #951 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:03 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

I'll look into that issue, thanks for letting me know. Might take a short while to fix, Diablo 3 multiplayer is a lot of fun  Hand Any Key Shocked Hand Any Key
st33d
« Reply #952 on: May 25, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »

up to disarm or still have it through the menu?
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: May 25, 2012, 02:26:21 AM »

The room I played in had a chest colliding with a ladder (I could'nt open the chest because up made me go up the ladder..

st33d
« Reply #954 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:47 AM »

that's odd, chests on ladders usually open anyway - it's not picky, it should let you climb and collect at the same time

yep - just tested it, works as expected.

probably a different bug?
killozapit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 25, 2012, 03:06:45 AM »

up to disarm or still have it through the menu?

As nice as pressing up to disarm would be, up has quite enough functions. Maybe down to disarm would work better. In the rare case a trap appears right on the stairway you should be able to disarm it without actually touching the stairway.
bartholomew
« Reply #956 on: May 25, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »

chest over ladder happens to me all the time but it has never been a problem, it always opens.
I was just browsing through your source code (i wanted to get an idea how to set up all the relations between items, characters, active effects etc., thanks for having the code open btw) and found this:
Code:
if(character is Monster && (character as Monster).brain.state == Brain.PATROL){
  (character as Monster).brain.state == Brain.ATTACK;
  (character as Monster).brain.target = sender;
}
can that be right?
st33d
« Reply #957 on: May 25, 2012, 03:26:28 AM »

No.

What file?
bartholomew
« Reply #958 on: May 25, 2012, 03:33:56 AM »

missile.as
function hitCharacter
st33d
« Reply #959 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:53 AM »

That's supposed to draw aggro when using missile attacks. Thanks for letting me know. I'll fix that in the next build.

There's no such clause during melee combat because the Brain checks for an enemy touching the character and attacks them during the PATROL mind state.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic