Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:54:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTobe's Vertical Adventure (Patch playtest - XNA member help needed)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Patch playtest - XNA member help needed)  (Read 17324 times)
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »

those controls are kicking my ass o.o

i love everything else tho

Sytanic
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:58 AM »

Hey Ray, whoa thanks for the fan art!  Grin

-Sian Yue
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 03:13:10 AM »

Bah.... I'm sure by now, it's rude to post more Tobe stuff, but I figured this idea might be useful for other developers too, so why not.

I did a digital instruction menu for the game. It can be found here
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/gallery/instruction-manual/ or
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/download/digital-instruction-manual/

Since 80% of the replies goes "aww, if only I own a 360", I decided to do this so players who don't get to play it, at least get to see what it's about. Same for myself, I often check on some NDS games, I wish I can play, but I don't have a NDS, so I end up reading the instruction manual Smiley

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:03 AM »

Bah.... I'm sure by now, it's rude to post more Tobe stuff, but I figured this idea might be useful for other developers too, so why not.

I did a digital instruction menu for the game. It can be found here
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/gallery/instruction-manual/ or
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/download/digital-instruction-manual/

Since 80% of the replies goes "aww, if only I own a 360", I decided to do this so players who don't get to play it, at least get to see what it's about. Same for myself, I often check on some NDS games, I wish I can play, but I don't have a NDS, so I end up reading the instruction manual Smiley

Pixel 06 Pixel 30 Pixel 06
 Pixel 06 Pixel 06 Pixel 06
 Pixel 30 Pixel 06 Pixel 30

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »

Why as in...
"Why is it rude?"
"Why the instruction manual?"
"Why am I here?"

I didn't get it... Why the why?

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Why as in...
"Why is it rude?"
"Why am I here?"

Did he mean <3?
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »

Why as in...
"Why is it rude?"
"Why am I here?"

Did he mean <3?
lol, yea, now that you mentioned  Facepalm

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »

lol, yea, now that you mentioned  Facepalm

lol after I've sunk so many hours into playing TVA and dieing a lot at least I know that although I may be out smarted by your game, I shan't be outsmarted by it's creator! MWAHAHAHAHA! *ahem* . . .
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:23 PM »

now i want to make tobe and jables art combo

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »

lol after I've sunk so many hours into playing TVA and dieing a lot at least I know that although I may be out smarted by your game, I shan't be outsmarted by it's creator! MWAHAHAHAHA! *ahem* . . .
Lol - Great to know you've been playing! Was it too hard? Or was the controls too wonky as some have pointed out? Btw, which area did you kept dying?

Jable - yea, let's do that. I'll go first Wink

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »

Got the game, couple things about the controls that bug me: When I climb a ledge in a platformer, I instinctively press towards the wall and jump. This however, sends me jumping away from the ledge. It would be better if towards and jump climbed up, and away and jump jumped away.
The jumping seems really slow. His horizontal speed in the air is a lot slower than his running speed, which seems odd. When you wall jump, your character stops in mid-air halfway through the jump. All the controls seem a bit slow, like theres lag while I'm playing.
Overall, the controls aren't that bad, they just aren't what I expected them to be like. I expected something more fluid, Like N+.
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 05:04:29 AM »

Got the game, couple things about the controls that bug me: When I climb a ledge in a platformer, I instinctively press towards the wall and jump. This however, sends me jumping away from the ledge. It would be better if towards and jump climbed up, and away and jump jumped away.
The jumping seems really slow. His horizontal speed in the air is a lot slower than his running speed, which seems odd. When you wall jump, your character stops in mid-air halfway through the jump. All the controls seem a bit slow, like theres lag while I'm playing.
Overall, the controls aren't that bad, they just aren't what I expected them to be like. I expected something more fluid, Like N+.

I couldn't put it better than Mokesmoe. Hasn't been a game breaker for me but it has caused a lot of deaths when I'm rushing to climb back up and I keep throwing myself off stuff when I'm trying to climb up lol.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »

As soon as that double kick hits in I am scrambling past every god damn chicken (save em dont save em I'm looking out for Tobe here!)

But yes, had it on the XBOX since before Christmas, but being in Ireland for family christmas I only started playing it this week. Great job mate  Gentleman

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »

Ah.... you guys are definitely not the 1st to mention about the climbing up. Pressing up is definitely the only thing that came to mind when I was working on it. Few others mentioned press the jump button to go up, but I can't remember which game did that. Any example? I'd like to try if it works better for future reference as I intend to make more games based on Tobe and Nana.

But yes, had it on the XBOX since before Christmas, but being in Ireland for family christmas I only started playing it this week. Great job mate  Gentleman
Good thing you started late, cause the analog patch just came in, lol. But glad to know you enjoy it too!

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »

The most recent game I've tried that had the A the climb up option would have been Dark Void (a horrid hoooorrid game...sorry I'm just trying to save everyone £35), you pressed A to climb, or B to drop.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »

I do agree on this point. Metroid Fusion/Zero was up to climb up, along with all 3D platformers I can think of that feature grabbing ledges.

And yeah it feels a bit weird how he slows down in the air, especially after you wall jump sometimes you can barely reach the ledge you're aiming for because your momentum just vanishes.

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »

I do agree on this point. Metroid Fusion/Zero was up to climb up, along with all 3D platformers I can think of that feature grabbing ledges.

Yeap,that's what I thought! I felt kinda weird when many send me mails telling me it should be done with a jump or forward button actually.

As for the wall jump... I've always wanted to talk about this. I'd imagine, a realistic wall jump was a kick to push you off the wall, which means that once the energy of the kick is over, the player should automatically falls down, as per a normal fall. In tobe, I made him such that he goes into "falling" once that "kick" is over. Should I just allows him to perform a normal jump?

Also, I felt it added slightly to the game, so I'm not sure if this is about bad control, or should I just make certain movement easier.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »

Oh sorry I meant they were jump to climb up. Or in some cases up as well. But generally I would expect jump to go up rather than backwards. Smiley

For the wall jump, the air would have to be super-dense to remove all your horizontal velocity so quickly. I know plenty of games including mine allow the player to just stop moving in mid-air but TVA is more about momentum so it feels a bit strange.

I usually model stuff like this all as basically one "in-air" state with different velocities, so there wouldn't be any difference in behaviour between if you jumped, wall-jumped or just ran off a ledge. If you want to restrict the wall jump behaviour though for gameplay reasons, fair enough. It just felt a bit inconsistent to me.

Been getting into drawing lately.. did we once mention a Treasure Treasure / TVA cross over thing? I might sketch some cross-game fan art (if it's possible to do fan art of my own game).

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »

I'd imagine, a realistic wall jump was a kick to push you off the wall, which means that once the energy of the kick is over, the player should automatically falls down, as per a normal fall.

Something like that would make seance in something like Mirrors Edge i guess but in a game like Tobe it feels out of place because...I mean...your a guy collecting treasure and chickens who floats on balloons...realism hath no place! lol
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

It's a little rough and could probably do with colouring but I'm not sure if I will. Quite happy with it though Smiley

I was gonna do Nana and Trixie fighting over a diamond but co-op is more in the spirit of things.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic