Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:31:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNew Indie Company - 'We Are Colin'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Indie Company - 'We Are Colin'  (Read 2115 times)
DavidLeverton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:03:45 AM »

Hello all,

First about me, I'm a 20 year old student in the UK and studying Computer Games Programming at Derby University. I'm currently in my Placement Year (3rd Year) and was approach by my lecturer about starting up a new company for the year. First of all I jumped at the chance to be part of building a new company and creating indie games since this has always seemed the route that I've wanted to go down.

The company is owned and was founded by John Sear, he has been programming most of his life and is experienced in the Games Industry, working at such companies as Codemasters. After working on a project that never saw the light of day, John then turned his focus to setting up 2 Games Courses at Derby University, he wanted to create the best Games Courses in the UK, a Programming Course and a Modelling and Animation Course. After running these courses for 4 years they have been hugely successful, being nominated for awards and getting lots of press attention.

After building the courses reputation and working there for 5 years, he decided that it was time to do something he’s always wanted to do, which was to set up his own company. This company is 'We Are Colin'.

He took on Myself (David Leverton) and another placement student Justin Alexander, both of us are programmers. The 3 of us make up most of the company and we are currently working a number of games. We are focusing on XBLA – Indie titles, which can also be released on the PC at a later date, and iPhone games since the use of touch screen and the Accelerometer can produce some original game ideas. The rest of the company consists of a few freelance artists, musicians and play testers!

Thanks for taking the time to read about ourselves and I invite you to look around at the projects we are currently working on:

Our forums can be found at: www.wearecolin.co.uk/forums , The forums hold information on all projects, you can ask us questions there and look at what we’ve been up to each week.
One of the projects can be found at: www.CavemenVsAliens.co.uk , this is the current main project for XBLA-Indie.
Also follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Are-Colin/139855149060?ref=mf or on Twitter http://twitter.com/wearecolin or http://twitter.com/cavemenvsaliens.

Thanks,
David Leverton, We Are Colin Developer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:00:15 AM by DavidLeverton » Logged

David Leverton,
We Are Colin - Developer.
www.wearecolin.co.uk/
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:07:43 PM »

Cavemen vs. Aliens sounds awesome. Don't screw it up like Stalin vs. Martians!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »

I'd bet on the aliens

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DavidLeverton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 11:41:40 PM »

Haha, the Aliens are the bad guys so unfortunately your have to be against them at all times  Sad. There may be multiplayer later where you control the aliens but at the moment it seems a while away.

Glad you like the sounds of it Grin.

David Leverton,
www.wearecolin.co.uk/
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:51:17 AM »

Man, aliens get a bad rap in these games. All cavemen do is hunt animals and club women over the head. Tongue

DavidLeverton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »

I suppose they do yeah  Tongue. Maybe we should make a sequel in which you are aliens trying to take the world by peaceful means while Men try to kill you, that could work Grin.

David Leverton,
www.wearecolin.co.uk/
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:00:39 AM »

Sounds like Star Gate! (Andre Norton)

|
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

ugh men go low with that fake bloom, seems you got some pretty graphics but you're killing it with that lame bloom filter!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
DavidLeverton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »

ugh men go low with that fake bloom, seems you got some pretty graphics but you're killing it with that lame bloom filter!

The bloom is temporarily on all object, we aimed to use it only on the alien objects finally and bright lights of course, it's not the game I'm working on directly so i can't explain why Smiley. It's nice that you pointed it out though, we didn't think it looked too bad as it is but thanks for the input, we will make sure it gets changed now! Grin

David Leverton,
www.wearecolin.co.uk/
Tumain
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »

Cool. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm also a developer at We Are Colin.

Don't worry about the bloom Eclipse. That bloom probably won't be used to the high intensity you've seen in the latest media on the website.

Please keep giving feedback to help us build on the game (although the deadline for the release is coming very close; its just around the corner).
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »

Good luck guys, both the concept and the art style looks interesting Smiley

To achieve a better looking bloom try to do a contrast pass before blurring the image and then set it in additive blending over the screen, this way only bright colors will be lit and shady zoned will be untouched (as the contrast makes everything closer to black or white).
Looking forward for the release!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic