Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:37:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Inform 7
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Inform 7  (Read 3895 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »

Hey,

I'm trying to make my game for Text the Halls, but I have a couple of problems that got me stumped. I figured I'd not be the only one with questions, so I'm opening this thread for anyone who's interested to ask, answer and maybe get drunk in the process.

These are my questions:

• How can I have two doors leading to different rooms, but in the same direction? Like a corridor or something, with more than one door on the same wall.
  • How do I make a concealed object that is not being worn, such as a message on the wall behind a curtain (or whatever)?

I hope someone can answer those, because I couldn't find an Inform support board anywhere, hehe. Thanks. Wink
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »

Afraid I don't know Inform well enough to answer those questions, but I do know somewhere you could ask for help and get it (presuming someone here can't help you of course):

rec.arts.int-fiction

(I'm actually programming my entry from scratch, despite my Inform advocating, heh)

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:24:55 PM »

Speaking of which, there just was a thread on doors in hallways:

Connecting many rooms to one

How do I make a concealed object that is not being worn, such as a message on the wall behind a curtain (or whatever)?

You could do this specific example a couple of ways, either making the message part of the room description after the player looks behind the curtain (or making it part of the curtain description), or making a message object that the player can examine after they examine the curtain. For example:

Code:
"Secret messages - first example"

The Boudoir is a room. "Red velvet curtains and smoky candles. [if the curtains are examined] Behind the curtains someone has scrawled in sooty black, 'Beware the Man in the Black Masque!'[end if]"

A thing can be examined.

Carry out examining something: now the noun is examined.

The red velvet curtains are in the boudoir. "As dark as blood. What's this -- a secret message!". They are scenery.

test me with "look / x curtains / look"

Code:
"Secret Messages - second example"

The Boudoir is a room. "Red velvet curtains and smoky candles."

A thing can be examined.

Carry out examining something: now the noun is examined.

The red velvet curtains are in the boudoir. "As dark as blood. What's this -- a secret message!". They are scenery.

A secret message is a thing. "Behind the curtains someone has scrawled in sooty black, 'Beware the Man in the Black Masque!' "

After examining the curtains for the first time: now the secret message is in the boudoir.

test me with "look / x curtains / look"

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm a little wary of Usenet because of the need to divulge your e-mail, but I'll try anyway. Smiley
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:44:19 PM »

I meant to add that there's also an Inform help board here:

http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

While it's a newer board and most Inform authors still use Usenet, there are a few people hanging out at the Intfiction forum.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:32 AM »

You could try looking through some Inform extensions for some of the functionality you need.  This one on secret doors might help the hidden message scenario.  This example from the docs is good for making complex doors, although that usenet thread may be more relevant to your situation.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »

I already managed to solve everything, but thanks anyway. Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic