Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:19:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe "thing" I'm working on...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The "thing" I'm working on...  (Read 1836 times)
kustomkool
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »

Here's a link to something I have been working on for the past few months.
http://www.cafemetropolis.com/video.html

It's a Flash game (tentative title "98 Problems") probably targeted not so much to hardcore gamer types as to kids (mainly girls) 7-11. If I had to pick a game that I'd admit to shamelessly trying to emulate it would be "Another World."

I appreciate kind words and encouragement but I'm more interested in hearing about what you think doesn't work in the game.

Hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I'm a bit of a lurking noob but I have found a lot of cool games and tons of great tips on this board.
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »

Frame 2?

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

Currently playing.

I had a bunch of trouble right after the long exposition. I clicked on a bunch of things, and my clicks were rewarded with animations and information, so clearly I was on the right track, only... Nothing interesting was happening. Right before I gave up I realized the arrow keys did stuff.  Facepalm I had assumed from the classic adventure-game layout that it was a mouse-only interface. I dunno whether you explained that and I just missed it, but maybe you should make it more obvious, or switch to clicking the ground to move instead.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »

The trash can has a very narrow hitbox. I wouldn't have found it if it weren't for cheating with the tab key, unless there will be some hint somewhere about it. I am now missing two keys.

Oh shit, I can walk past the trash cans now. I could've sworn that was a wall before. Maybe picking up the fourth key unlocked it, in which case it wasn't nearly obvious enough that the path was unlocked. Or maybe I'm just imagining things. I actually really like the dancing silhouettes, though you should probably move them into the background or something so that they're not stepping on the protagonist's feet.
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:48:12 AM »

Just checking you can't get past having two more keys to find right?

Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »

It reminds me a lot of those old living books things. Except with strange bugs and blue cats.

that is an old picture. It now says frame4.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »

This thread confuses me a bit.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
kustomkool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

Thanks to everyone for checking it out. I should have explained how rough and very pre-beta I am with this project and saved you guys some frustration. The keys do indeed unlock the rooms. Finding the keys is the thrust of the game. Also need to implement the function that gets rid of them after they are revealed. Also might need an indication of an actual door on screen left but I'm trying to streamline.

The punk rock club will be the final pay-off eventually (after completing a task in the donut store. Something "gamey" like dodging flying donuts maybe.)

The i-Phone screen text isn't implemented yet. Hence the nonsense screens.

And I never realized that using the arrow keys is less than intuitive. And d'oh! I didn't realize you could use tab key to cycle through hot spots. I assume I can disable that.

The exposition in the begining is probably longish...but I'm aiming for a decent story. I'd like to do something animated and cut scene-ish but I'm worried about file size.

Still debating if I need a time constraint in there somewhere. And/or an opposing, obstacle character seems likely. Probably in the guise of the annoying little sister mentioned in the intro.

I'm an animator and obviously not much of a programmer. Not a GREAT animator...but a better animator than a programmer.

And I value everyone's feedback. Every single response was smart and right on the money. Again, I can't thank you enough.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »

I think this is how to disable the tab key:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/flash/display/InteractiveObject.html#tabEnabled

And you should introduce yourself:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic