Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:23:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCAVERNS - Flash experimentation game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CAVERNS - Flash experimentation game  (Read 3040 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »

Ok, this game has reached it's peak. I'll be working on a better second version from now on.
I'm posting it here as a finished game (perhaps it has a few bugs but it's good to go).

Thanks to TIGS users who left comments and feedback, to the LudumDare community for being the anti-procrastinating fuel juice I needed, and to everyone else that needs a hug.

Best regards and I hope you like it if you haven't tried it yet.

Btw...I surely could use some press Tongue

Caverns: An experimentation game.
It's about tiny life forms coexisting in a cavern.

Try to find them all!
Mess around with the enviroment and free your imagination.

Click here to play

With the mouse you "paint" the cavern with different materials that can be selected from the palette at the bottom.

This game started as an entry for LudumDare (A contest where you have 48hs to create a game).
It slowly grew up to be what it is now, which is not much, but I hope it entertains you.
There are thousands of improvements that could be made, that's why there is a second, much more complete version being created.

Without further due, I hope you enjoy it and find all races!

-Martín Wizard

Working on HeliBrawl
Curseman
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »

For some reason, the second time trying this, it "clicked."  It's an interesting pseudo-puzzle game.  I think it would help to give the player a little bit more introductory information, like maybe telling them about how dying on certain elements makes new creatures before the player accidentally creates their first fire bat.

I also think that the player could probably use more space to work with.  It's hard to fit everything you want in there.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:16:50 AM »

This seems really interesting. It felt a bit random and tough to grasp the mechanics so I didn't get very far in it. Like I could get a few new dudes but then they died and I couldn't get them back.
Curseman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »

Here's what I can remember of how to get the creatures I found (spoilers obviously), don't read this if you want to discover for yourself.

Sand monsters grow up out of sand.
Ooze monsters grow up out of the black tar stuff.
Water monsters drop down out of water suspended in the air.
Fire bats are made when ooze monsters die on lava tiles.
Purple blobs are made when fire bats touch water monsters.
Purple blobs make green worms if they die on grass (I think that's what happens anyway).
Sand trees are made when a water monster touches a sand monster on sand.
Sand blobs are made when you water a sand tree.
Green trees are made when a water monster touches a sand monster on grass.
Tomato monsters are made when you water a green tree.

It's possible that I've gotten some of that wrong, but that should be a good starting point for someone who can't figure this game out.
Alex2x
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »

Fantastic game, very charming Smiley

It's relaxing to play in small doses and just watch life unfold in the confines of that small pixel world.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »

Thanks!
Do you guys see the v0.98? Because it has baloons that pop to explain somewhat that's going on (creature spawn, dying on material creates new creature, etc.), I thought that was good enought to get anyone "started" in the logic.

Regards
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic