Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:12:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFirefly - a game controlled with a candle
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Firefly - a game controlled with a candle  (Read 6332 times)
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »

Hi!

I decided to make a game that you control with a candle in response to constantly appearing sophisticated and expensive wiimotish game controllers.

In this game you control a firefly, which  gets attracted by the candlelight and follows it. Your task is to simply guide it through numerous levels. Below is a screenshot and a link to youtube video. I hope you like it.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »

very interesting video. I would animate the firefly a bit better tho.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »

I watched the video. My Word! Wish I had a webcam and a candle so I could play this. It looks so well done and well, interesting! I look forward to seeing this completed  Gentleman Hand Thumbs Up Right
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:40:41 AM »

That's a very cute idea Smiley  I enjoyed the music in your demo as well.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:50 AM »

Graphics in the game are pixelated (like in my avatar) and I wanted to make the firefly look as in Frogs and Flies (reference:

But I'd gladly welcome your idea if you could give some details.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »

I remember playing the beta of this a week or so ago. How's the progress? New levels? Difficulty changes Tongue

also, the firefly looks just fine in-game. it's hard enough as it is to watch the firefly and your surroundings at the same time anyway.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »

I remember playing the beta of this a week or so ago. How's the progress? New levels? Difficulty changes Tongue

also, the firefly looks just fine in-game. it's hard enough as it is to watch the firefly and your surroundings at the same time anyway.

As you can see I took your point of changing the control scheme seriously Smiley

Using candle simplified the gameplay quite a bit, so it's not as difficult now, so you can take your time to explore / read.

I'm currently managing windows / linux port and finetuning the control system. When I'm done, I'll work some more levels out.

MaloEspada
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
This is too awesome to be true! I love the game idea, so original, haha. At first I thought it was similar to Beacon, but the gameplay is totally different, making it unique!

I look forward to it, a lot!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »

Ok, I managed to get a cheapo-tesco-webcam that actually works well under windows.
Now I'm looking for some betatesters who would like to hunt down some bugs for me.

If some of you would like to try, please reply here and I will PM you with link and instructions.
You need: Windows / Linux, webcam, candle or anything that you think will work as well.

And I'm off to make some more levels.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

go ahead and send me the info. I'd like to give this new mechanic a try. Just so happens that I have a huge bag of tealight candles in my bathroom. Why not use them for a video game?  Cool
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »

That's a genius idea!

I don't have a webcam though, so I can't test for you, sorry! Tongue
I'll keep watching this though, very interesting idea.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »

Very good idea! You should submit this to the Experimental Gameplay Workshop for the next IGF, or another such event.

A suggestion: Instead of getting the candle closer to the webcam to make the light stronger, make it so that moving the candle makes the light weaker, and staying still expands the visibility. This would actually provide an interesting, in my opinion, mechanic of looking around, then moving according to what you remember.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »

Graphics in the game are pixelated (like in my avatar) and I wanted to make the firefly look as in Frogs and Flies (reference:

But I'd gladly welcome your idea if you could give some details.

That has got to be one of the most boring looking games.

Its nice that you are referencing it, but since ur bgs are more detailed the firefly should match

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 02:25:46 AM »

Very good idea! You should submit this to the Experimental Gameplay Workshop for the next IGF, or another such event.

A suggestion: Instead of getting the candle closer to the webcam to make the light stronger, make it so that moving the candle makes the light weaker, and staying still expands the visibility. This would actually provide an interesting, in my opinion, mechanic of looking around, then moving according to what you remember.
IGF stuff is unfortunately US-only :/ But your idea looks interesting, I'll check that out to see if it wors as expected.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »

neat idea.

love the fly's animation.

what do you mean IGF is US only?
im canadian, and i went.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

IGF stuff is unfortunately US-only :/ But your idea looks interesting, I'll check that out to see if it wors as expected.

There are no country limitations for the EGW, which is not part of the IGF but rather a single session at GDC proper.  Games from other countries have been shown before, and selections seem to be purely on the basis of personal judgment from a couple people.  I agree, this fits the EGW and seems to fit Sense of Wonder, too.  Mark next year's on your calendar.

This is a cool idea.  I think the most important part of it is the touch/"game feel" of using a real candle.  I'm sure there would be times where molten wax would drip onto your hand.  That would be a cool thing to experience while playing a game.

The game looks appropriately medieval, and although it's hard to tell from the video, it does seem a little plain looking.  It'd be great to see more images.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
deathtotheweird
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »

Seriously, this is a great game for the Workshop. As an actual game, it depends on what you would like to do with it. Longer levels would be uncomfortable in my eyes. And having interesting levels to look around in doesn't work as well, I always die when I move the candle around looking for things and looking to the path ahead. Also it's uncomfortable sitting down and holding the candle up. Not too practical for a more fleshed out game, if that was what you were going for.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 03:59:38 AM »

Yeah, I know that, thus the game will be short, or feature an autosave feature. And as you said, looking around does no good, thus what you see are only the obstacles that are on the way, I'm trying to make the levels fit this idea. Anyways, thanks for trying allen.

Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 04:12:49 AM »

It looks great! Mock Anger
The way I see it (at least at this point of development), it opens gates to some very intimate or/and atmospheric game projects. Candle light in a dark room gives specific feeling, old one, sentimental one, I would say.

I would really love to see where this is heading.

Best of luck with the development  Beer!

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »

Just a little screenshot

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic