Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:53:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMy Game Synopsis - is this any good?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Game Synopsis - is this any good?  (Read 1883 times)
klabelkholosh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »

Hello! I’m utterly new here, having been sucked in by first Spelunky, then Derek Yu’s tutorials on game creation. I was just trying to think of a good idea for a platformer and starting writing the below blurb. I have no experience writing game synopsis..ees (plural sic..) so I have no idea if this is good or bad, so perhaps some kind or even ruthless individual could give me some pointers. Also I’m aware that this is not a good idea for a first game… I’ll definitely stick with the existential space shooter for now, but I was wondering if this could have a microscopic glimpse of potential.

The Saga of Glizzard, a lizard creature from the planet Herpis.

Glizzard is a typical fry chef at Chez Gres Spork. Capite Chef Limbergard has assigned him the additional role of general gofer and monkey boy for all menial tasks , and as such Glizzard is due for his next semi-humiliating and deflating undertaking, namely; tracking down a pair of highly-prized undershorts as an appropriate and impressive gift for the Capite’s most esteemed and valued restaurant patron: the feared Herpian food critic Monsieur Haup.

However, the errand goes awry when Glizzard is hit by a Misinformation Beam meant for the local metropolitan superhero, Vrungiji-Moot-185 (all superheroes in the Herpentine society are genetically engineered and assigned to a local metropole), that was designed to lead him on a fools errand as a distraction, while an evil gang of ne’er-do-wells proceed to evilly engorge themselves on a potentially record-breaking baked spam in the hero’s absence. (The record that the record-breaking spam is due to break is the Record for the Largest Baked Spam Ever Baked. They are doing this to protect tourism interests in their home town of Little Spamton, The Home of Herpis’ Largest Ever Baked Spam. (Formally Little Spewton, Home of the 5-hlizor Egg Breakfast.))

Glizzard believes he is a superhero bent on protecting the ‘Wooden Trophy of Excellence’ from almost certain theft (an erroneous mental implant from the Mis. Beam). His damaged mind interprets the highly-prized undershorts as the ‘Wooden Trophy’, and the ‘Holy Trophy Repository’ in his mind is, in fact, the Male Herp section of the undershorts store in the local mall. Much hilarity (hopefully) abounds as Glizzard’s holy quest of undershorts purloinage gets underway.

Thinking of this as a story driven platformer in the ‘wacky humour’ vein (not sure if this is too popular, or even a vein, but hey) with some expository cutscenes mixed in, colourful characters, etc.

The player will have a clear view of the situation unfogged by the dementia affecting Glizzard, yet the game will progress towards the perceived goal of obtaining and protecting the ‘Wooden Trophy’ as Glizzard has been brainwashed to believe he must undertake with all haste and importance. He could start feeling better, or at some stage the game might turn 180 degrees and he would have to take down the spam self-engorging gang with his spatula.

Possibilities for interesting situations may be store personnel becoming in Glizzard’s mind evil henchmen in need of suppression, mall cops becoming the same, etc. Glizzards ‘superpowers’ could become menial abilities enhanced by obtained items, eg. A ‘mind ray’ is a clump of penlight laser pointers taped together with which he can heroically blind bored/underpaid store employees attempting to half-heartedly obstruct him.

Does anyone think this is a worthwhile idea, or even have potential for humour..(unintentional..)? I was thinking Space Quest type humour. I don’t pretend to think this could or should go for Monkey Island level. I don’t really know if platformers should be purposefully funny.. well, I mean, Spelunky is pretty much constant and awesome schadenfreude. Maybe I should stick to programming?  Smiley

That chick let my frog out
I mean it hopped and hopped, out into space
Adrian's gone, gone
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »

It's was a great read actually, but the only games I find fun is the ones that manage to convey the story through the game elements, such as World of Goo.

Always stick with programming but look at ways you can get this story accross through elements in the game, such as that mind ray =P

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:11:01 AM »

I like the non-hero, pointless quest, deluded into thinking he is on a grand mission bits. I like movies when the deluded-hero accidentally manages to save the day despite being up against real dangers. The odds&ends gadget superpowers are cool too.

I think this could be fun if you can keep the gameplay moving along quickly without having to slow down too much for backstory/gags. If you could mix it up with a wacky art style and wrap up the gags in optional popups, info-boards, speach bubble conversations that could help.

sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

Another example of how a story can be conveyed using the elements is Yoshis Island. The whole story you carry a baby Mario on your back, and whenever you are hit by an enemy the mario goes flying off your back and if you dont get baby mario back in time the Kamek's toadies capture Mario and the player loses a life.

Through all this, the fact that you carry a baby throughout the game and that your always being chased by Kameks, it gives you a real sense of a story line without every making you stop and read.

klabelkholosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »

Thank you internet friends for your opinions! The idea about revealing the story through natural gameplay elements rather than pointed cutscenes is a great idea. After playing Machinarium I have to admit that actual words in that game would not have made sense to the story revelation.

Like a heroic yet apprehensive shark who hopes to earn his shark military medals through the pursuit of guerilla warfare against the aggressor gorillas, I will stay reasonably determined to produce some art assets for this at some stage, and if so I will update this post if that is cool. Smiley

That chick let my frog out
I mean it hopped and hopped, out into space
Adrian's gone, gone
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »

and if so I will update this post if that is cool. Smiley

I'll be watching out for ya Wink

Pages: [1]
Print