Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:44:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is your least favorite video game genre?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What is your least favorite video game genre?  (Read 8151 times)
Seth
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »

I know this topic seems specially crafted to start a debate, but that's not what I'm trying to do here.  I think too often we only hear from fans of a particular genre when we are talking about types of games, which is fine, but I think it would be useful to hear from people who don't like a genre and what keeps them from liking them--and then examining if the causes for fans flocking to a type of game and others shying away actually have to go hand in hand.

So: what is your least favorite genre?  Why?  Are there any exceptions?  What would you like to see more in those types of games?

For me, it's shmups.  I hate how they seem to me memory based, like I am expected to play through several times just to be able to get through.  And then the idea that once I do, it's easy.  I much prefer games where I feel awesome because of my mastery of the controls and dynamics of the game, rather than my memory.

Also, they're completely linear.  Perhaps my biggest draw to video games is seeing the world that is created.  Shmups, to me, don't do this at all.  I've never played a shmup the world didn't feel contrived to me... like the world only exists for that level.  If there was a game where you drove around a planet and could go exploring like in a Zelda game, but it just so happens everywhere you go you have to play like shmup... well, I think I'd play that game.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:28:24 PM by Seth » Logged
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

I don't know about least favourite, but one genre that a lot of people are into and that I could never get into no matter how hard i tried is japanese-style RPGs like Final Fantasy. I know they're good games. I get excited about them. I just can't seem to manage to have fun playing them.  Cry

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »

Casual upon casual clone  Angry

I don't have a problem with Casual games per se (I actually like a good Casual game here and there) the thing I have a problem with is that there is a total lack of originality in these games. They just keep pumping 'em out and putting new names on them, instead of Bejewelled it's Cool Jewels or the Pharaoh's Gems or something equally redundant. This genre has been so horribly diluted it just makes me sick.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »

I can't get excited about racing games, arcade-y realistic, forget it, it's boring. The exception being of course, Mahrio Kart. steering wheel perifrials help, but not enough to get over how I would rather be driving a real car then a videogame one.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »

"realistic" sports games; team sports or automobile, etc...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »

Not sure. Either sports (just can't get into them), MMORPGs (more addicting than fun) or JRPGs (too focused on boring battles and pointless development of stats).
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »

Strategy games for the most part, I just find plain boring. Maybe I just know I'm not a good strategist so I steer clear but I also find the general presentation of many to be uninspired.

Also sports games like FIFA 2008 blah blah blah. Couldn't think of anything better to rot my brains out with boredom.

Other genres that I find 'hard' to get into but can on an part-time basis: Racing games and RPGs.

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »

Never had any interest in sport, racing and strategy games. Also most 'traditional' RPGs bore me.

Well, ok, for a while i liked Age of Empires, but what i really liked was the editor not the actual game :-P

~bs~
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 04:40:42 PM »

Sports games are probably my least favorite genre.

I play certain titles with my friends sometimes, but overall it's my least favorite genre.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »

I've never been able to get into RPGs properly, the only one I had any success with was FF7, and I only got to the second disc before I got bored.

I pretty much loath MMORPGS, I like the concept, but I've yet to find one which is actually fun. I don't know how people get addicted to these things!

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:39:48 PM »

Not that I hate but I don't have the patience or time to play anything that doesn't bring me right in. That's why I never play point and click adventures or some bloatedish (this to me means that the main hurdle is to learn tons of rules and stuff) strategies or huge open ended exploration games.

I like slick strategies and exploration games though a lot... by slick I mean that rules are totally short and uncomplex and the main gameplay is in using those rules and not learning them at all. (I also made such 2player online game a while back but nobody plays it... I have to make the 1 vs AI mode)

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

Sports, especially Madden Anything. They could make Madden Explores the Works of James Joyce 2008 and it would still make me throw up in my mouth a little as a conditioned response to the word 'Madden.'

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 05:47:59 PM »

Pretty much what everyone above me said combined, only I enjoy strategy games and shmups (NOT bullet hells). Starfox was awesome (in fact, I've been playing -64 all week).
But to mention one that hasn't been said, (don't shoot me) Roguelikes. I haven't a problem with ascii-based graphic games (I like alot of ZZT and MZX stuff) but that if you're completely unacclimated to the genre and the standard symbolism, you (I) don't know a P from a P. (and don't really feel like a) looking it up or b) being afraid of every P for fear of it being a Demonic Purglord when it's actually a Pie. And then after that the whole thing just turns me off, so I can never get over that hurdle. You won't believe how much I want to get into Dwarf Fortress - it sounds so engrossing - but then I look at it and it's like, one of those pages that pops up in a language you haven't got the font installed for or something and it's just a jumble of indecipherable symbols and you're all like - what is this? what is this? what is this? what is this? I don't feel like finding out, I just want to know.
And it's not just roguelikes, you know? It's more akin to a foreign language entirely. Just imagine if the Ps and Qs were replaced with kanji and those other Japanese symbols. I don't know Japanese, and I don't feel like looking up the symbol for Burning Devil to figure out that I'm up against an Ember Demon.

This has turned into more of a vent, I'm sorry. Embarrassed
No disrespect for those who like RLs and such - in fact just the opposite: I admire your ability to not be so concerned about appearance as I. I'm so pitiful. Sad

Jolli
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 06:14:48 PM »

I don't like any turn based RPGs. Even if they come up with some new combat system, its still... turn based.  Embarrassed
Calanctus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »

"realistic" sports games; team sports or automobile, etc...
This.

I'm down for some Mario Tennis any time, but real tennis? Forget it.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 08:17:05 PM »

I'm down for some Mario Tennis any time, but real tennis? Forget it.

Seconded.

Most "realistic" sports games are not very appealing to me (although I must say that I have enjoyed Madden and Fifa on occasion). I played a lot of Madden mainly with friends on multiplayer but other then that I can't see myself buying Madden (insert year here)every time they release another, it is the same bullshit since about Madden '02 (and if you want to get technical: since the series started).

Actually, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty I feel like a lot of games from the genres that we have mentioned so far are severely stagnating. For example: I love me a good RPG but anymore nowadays it seems a good number of RPG developers are staying very, very traditional with their approach to the genre. I would like to see some genres taken in new directions.

I don't necessarily write of any genre, in fact I would play anything be it Sport, Sim, RPG, Platform etc... as long as it is fun.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
kitty
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 12:05:54 AM »

Sports, especially Madden Anything. They could make Madden Explores the Works of James Joyce 2008 and it would still make me throw up in my mouth a little as a conditioned response to the word 'Madden.'
Agreed. I'm not a fan of sports games. And in order to play Madden I'd have to turn down the sound in the first place 'caues GOSH that guy is annoying! "Here's what I would do in this situation." No thanks, I don't CARE.

First person shooters hack me off when I see the same old stuff over and over.

Basically it's not any one particular genre I don't like. It's just when games are generic clones of each other.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:49 AM »

Least favourite would also have to be sport games as well. Only few I find interesting, and those tend to have interesting themes (ie. Re-volt), wonderful style (Wipeout :D), or... once again... be any of the Mario sport games--they're awesome. I haven't played one that was as good as Mario Tennis for gameboy, yet, though. Mario Tennis for DS, please!!!

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:02 AM »

I hate sports games in general, but I don't think it's the genre. A really technical simulation with a whole bunch of tweakability would be something I could get into. I remember a friend playing some racing game on his 486 that had some basic customisation, which seemed neat as hell at the time, but as far as I know they've never really advanced more than that. If you're lucky you can spend money on speed++/handlng++/whatever and a pallette swap, but that's about it.

On the other hand a racing game where you could build your own vehicle by designing a chassis and sticking bits on it, maybe going so far as a physics simulation allowing you to fuck around with the inner workings of your engine(s!) and managing the actions of the pit crew during races would be swell. Similarly, a football game that lets you pause and zoom in to fiddle with your player toribash-style when it comes to kicking might not suck. Plus in reality the performance of a team has way more to do with off-the-field stuff like training methods, social dynamics, and illegal cyborg implants.

Mario Kart transcends all that, natch.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 02:56:51 AM »

Simulation 'games' and realistic sports 'games'. Anything that doesn't leave anything to the imagination. I play games for escapism!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic