Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411863 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58470 Members - Latest Member: AuroraMaster

June 04, 2024, 12:13:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Flash/MySQL
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash/MySQL  (Read 1185 times)
synapse
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

I'm interested in developing a persistent web-game that uses Flash for the interface, but also accesses a MySQL database to save and load various user data.

Additionally, I'm interested in the pipeline for combining art assets with the actionscript.  My understanding is that art in a Flash project is more tightly integrated than in a typical C++ game (correct me if I'm wrong).

More specifically, I'm interested in eventually paying a programmer and a sprite artist to help me develop this type of game.  I'm a C++/Java/PHP/MySQL guy, but I no longer have time to learn an entirely new language, and I still want to be able to set realistic goals for the project.

Short version: I would love to learn as much as I can about the production pipeline of a Flash web-game that hooks up to a MySQL database.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »

Flash can send variables to a PHP file with get or post
Flash can read text outputted from a PHP file

flash cannot access the database directly
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:53:21 AM »

A really easy way is to pass the parameters with via GET, using a URLRequest and adding URL Encoded parameters

There's a 255 character limit I believe, but that's a good start.

Then do everything MySQLish by PHP.
You can even load an externally generated XML/plain-text file to Flash this way, like, to check if the upload was successful or tu retrieve the hi-score list or something.

Regards
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »

Regarding MYSQL - the PHP approach described about will work fine, but in fact you can use any kind of sever-side CGI that you could with a browser. (For example, I generally write server side code in PERL for no better reason than I'm familiar with it.)

Additionally, I'm interested in the pipeline for combining art assets with the actionscript.  My understanding is that art in a Flash project is more tightly integrated than in a typical C++ game (correct me if I'm wrong).

Art is typically embedded in the SWF at compile time (or even before), but it doesn't have to be.

The reason it is normally done this way is because it keeps the delivery of the game nicely encapsulated in a single file.

synapse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

Art is typically embedded in the SWF at compile time (or even before), but it doesn't have to be.

How much does it increase loading time to have it pull images individually from the hosted website?
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

Not much. Just what your browser would take. You could even add that to the preloader state, checking all combined downloaded bytes against the whole total.

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic