Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:35:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)PEC (Image heavy)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PEC (Image heavy)  (Read 2916 times)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

Since it's not really a project yet, I figure I should post it here.

This last one is modelled by a friend with whom I'm brainstorming/creating this.
fat princess/Team fortress 2/diablo/unreal tournament clone?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:48:49 PM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
Godspeed You! Gabe Newell
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »

What are you planning on making it with ?
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

What are you planning on making it with ?
still in early concept / dream-state. Xbox live arcade was our thought though.

I'm a 2d artist, my buddy is a 3d artist. -> we're gimped.
We figure if we make enough cool assets we'd either get tired of the project, or get really pumped and eventually attract an awesome programmer or two. Too early to tell though  :D

I AM FREE!
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »

And no: there wouldn't be one model per class - people would be able to choose gender, haircut, some face features etc. I think. Maybe.

I AM FREE!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »

The secondary abilities seem pretty random. Wouldn't fighters (being close ranged) want to build walls, and shooters build sentries (which shoot)? And those seem to fit in the support class better than those classes. Idea is really awesome though, don't worry about that.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »

The secondary abilities seem pretty random. Wouldn't fighters (being close ranged) want to build walls, and shooters build sentries (which shoot)? And those seem to fit in the support class better than those classes. Idea is really awesome though, don't worry about that.
The idea with the secondary abilities is to compliment the classes.

The fighter helps define fronts by putting up a few sentries (with an upper limit to how many you can build ofc). A few sentries backing you up can also save you from an evenly skilled opponent, and enables them to deal damage to shooters before getting to them.

The shooter putting up walls affect melee combat and movement, and help them survive.

The supporter building a huge tank/mecha leads to there being no healer/less healers in the battle for a while, and when they do get there their role is reversed (can't heal whilst in tank/mecha) and switching from support to (heavy) offense.

All of these abilities costs "action points" (replenishes automatically over time). The same action points can be used to do a stronger strike (in the supporter's case, it'll stun and/or knockback, we're not sure yet).

The idea is for every class to be able to both be defensive and offensive - while making sure they all have very similar controls .

Oh, and thanks for the input Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:12:06 PM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »

Ah, I see. You purposefully gave them abilities that don't suit, since by doing so they can defend against their very own weaknesses. Clever!
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »

Ah, I see. You purposefully gave them abilities that don't suit, since by doing so they can defend against their very own weaknesses. Clever!
Yeah, pretty much  Smiley
It's supposed to be smooth, cute and fun (= casual?), and if everyone can do a little bit of everything no matter what class they play it's hopefully a bit easier to make it fun for everyone.

I AM FREE!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

I like the concept and art direction. But I must know, is it real-time or turn-based?

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

Woohoo!  I love your concepts, especially the 3d model, im a sucker for low(er) poly 3d art.  I have to be honest though, im slightly put off by the "clone" kind of feel this seems to be starting with, with the same classes as tf2.  I would hope that it evolves away from copying those exact typical roles, and I see that it already is beginning to. so I Can't wait to see this come to life!

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

I like the concept and art direction. But I must know, is it real-time or turn-based?
Thanks a lot  Gentleman I'm still trying to work on the feel and shapes, but it feels like we're pretty close to some kind of art direction.

It'd be fast-paced and in real-time.

Quote from: Caliber9
Woohoo!  I love your concepts, especially the 3d model, im a sucker for low(er) poly 3d art.  I have to be honest though, im slightly put off by the "clone" kind of feel this seems to be starting with, with the same classes as tf2.  I would hope that it evolves away from copying those exact typical roles, and I see that it already is beginning to. so I Can't wait to see this come to life!
Yeah, my buddy is pretty kickass with the 3D stuff. Smiley

I completely agree with you - we initially thought of several classes, builders/fighters/brutes/shooters/snipers/healers - very tf2-ish  Facepalm . The concepts posted in the first post is the whole journey of concept art from initial sketch to more focused drawings (we sort of designed the game based on the concepts and vice versa) . We're still working very basic things out, though I think the shooter/fighter/supporter trio is a pretty workable formula with an interesting enough twist.

I AM FREE!
Renton
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »

For characters, I say do it like TF2 and give them personalities while retaining a certain amount of customizability*, like clothes, maybe haircut; as long as the character is recognizable by certain features. You wouldn't need to set genders in stone if you make two characters for each class, either.

Having played a good amount of TF2 and it's clone Battlefield Heroes, I have to say that the biggest thing lacking in Battlefield was personalities in characters. You could make them however you liked but they were still empty husks of men.

*(is that a word, I don't know)
Renton
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »

I mean if the female shooter had red cheeks, blue eyes and blonde hair, you could still recognize her under most clothes. If you saw a red cheeked girl with a few blonde strands of visible under a beanie, you'd know that it was the female shooter. Or a red cheeked woman in overalls and sunglasses who wears her blonde hair in a bun. Again, recognizable.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 03:06:15 AM »

or a blonde woman in a ninja suit and a space helmet.. wait, not

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
hydrophoenix
Level 0

Maybe on Earth, maybe in the Future.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:53:26 AM »

Don't have any constructive to add to this. Spherical head axe-man looks rad though, think you should explore further down that concept path.

Maybe on Earth, maybe in the Future.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »

The big challenge is - as Renton pointed out - recognizability. Being able to customize your character (hair, facial features, different-looking weapons) and making recognizable silhouettes for the different classes - and even teams - will be a bit hard in the top-down perspective. I'm confident we'll find a way to make it obvious to see what is what on the battlefield in the end, but for now what seems to be the most logical decision is that your hair colour is determined by what team you're on, as well as the tint on your clothes (but with some customizability of course).

If we make the weapons big enough there won't be any hardships noticing what class people are playing, but that's just a sudden thought. We haven't really worked on weapon design yet, and though it can be really cute with over-sized weapons it might be a cop-out. Only the future will tell, but in the meantime:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:24:57 AM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic