Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:53:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[unnamed platform exploration]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [unnamed platform exploration]  (Read 2089 times)
Copyrite
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »

(No name yet)

Here it is! This project is now far enough that it's safe to say there will be something playable sometime. It's a platform exploration game in spirit of Seiklus, Painajainen and An Untitled Story. Not terribly original, but don't fix what ain't broken, and of course this one, too, will be unique in its own way.

The objective is to explore the game world and collect all of the orbs of various colours. Sounds a bit too familiar? Fear not, there's a twist! While there are multiple small orbs scattered around the landscape, there exists a special orb for each colour.
This larger sphere grants you special powers and can be activated at will - but only for a limited time. When you run out of juice, you'll be back to your normal, extremely vulnerable self. However, this is where the smaller orbs come in. Each of the small orbs allows you to use the power of the respective type longer.

Entering mysterious places allows you to write your story so far in stars. In other words, doing so saves your game.

The game will feature (that is, if I'll ever finish it) six differently themed areas, with all collectibles of the same colour appearing in the same area. Save points will come in handy in transportation between areas. There's one in every room where a special orb was. Just activate a power-up you took from the place you want to go, and a portal will open for you. If you're going back to the starting area, just deactivate your special power.

The obligatory fire-themed platformer level.

Then, some words about the design philosophy. This game is going to be mainly platform exploration. For most parts, the player will be given time to think their next move. That's not to say some areas need a bit faster thinking and reflexes, but majority of the game can be played nice and slow - enjoy the ride and clear the obstacle when you're ready. That said, another principle I had in mind is that the player can not defeat any monsters. I believe platform explorations can be made challenging while making the player go pacifist through the game. Last, and possibly least, I want to try to have no words outside the main menu. You don't need any more explanations than what I show from a possible intro (and ending) cutscene.

So there you have it, some mockup backgrounds and a whole lot of words. That's all for now, folks! Beer!

Current development status:
- Everything is fully functional (but with placeholder graphics)
- Player physics might still need tweaking, possibly leading to changes in level design

A demo will be released when:
- Graphics Hand PencilCrazy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:33:49 AM by Copyrite » Logged
Ashmaran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »

Is there some sort of goal in collecting these orbs, or are they merely to use their abilities to grant access to the next levels?

Are you building the engine yourself or customizing something else?

I like the painterly style of the first mockup background.

Current project Stargazer devlog
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »

I like the backgrounds as well.

the story sounds a bit weak, and gameplay could be boring.

dcco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

Looks cool, but yeah, gameplay above all. I've played some games with awesome graphics that still manage to play awesome.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:26:03 PM »

Art's nice, gameplay is iffy.
Copyrite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »

Is there some sort of goal in collecting these orbs, or are they merely to use their abilities to grant access to the next levels?

Are you building the engine yourself or customizing something else?
The special ability orbs will be available even with no power-ups. You can access all levels immediately. The special abilities will be needed to 100% the collectibles and access endgame.

As for the engine, I made it from scratch in Game Maker and it runs like a dream. I'm really proud of it. I have none of that built-in crap, all collisions are handled so that I have full control of things. (Additional explanation for GM users: I don't use collision events, only step.)

the story sounds a bit weak
All you will get is an intro cutscene, which won't be present in the first demo. Can't say my sources of inspiration had much more story.

Those worried about gameplay: I can't promise anything, but I'll do my best. Shrug All I know is that level design has a major role, and this is the first time I'm doing it seriously.
+peter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:11:31 AM »

Ooooh, fun to see this move out of the mockup stage.

Certainly, level design is crucial. I have to want to see/play what is on the next screen. Almost equally as important, player control. It has to be fun just to move that little dude around.

blog traylorpark.com tweet @peterspalace
Copyrite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »

And heya again. For those still interested, I have good and bad news! The good news: it's not dead yet! In fact, pretty much everything that needs to work works as intended. The bad news?

Right now it looks like crap.

Alright, that's an exaggeration. I have actually done some graphics, but not much. I need twenty-ish backgrounds, and I've at least started to work on five - that's to say, they may be done, there may still be modifications in place, or they'll be remade from scratch.

Then there are the sprites. Those are completely untouched, which worries me a bit. Most of them will be easy, such as the power-ups, but for example the main character will have a lot of frames and finding the method to make them all look good can be tricky.

Now enjoy this progress screen, featuring what little placeholder graphics I have bothered to make.

What you should see in this picture: A functional but ugly minimap, a minimalistic power-up selection menu, a Knytt ripoff savepoint, and once again our hero's hitbox. I want to emphasize that everything apart from the BG will get replaced in one way or another. Finally, just to name another nifty thing(tm) from the game: the interface opens by pressing enter, and you can choose your power with left/right - the orbs will rotate around you.

K, that's it. Be patient!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:37:13 AM by Copyrite » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »

interesting. cant wait for more

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic