Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:15:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSal & Caramelle in: Saving Professor Caffèlatte [WIP]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sal & Caramelle in: Saving Professor Caffèlatte [WIP]  (Read 2265 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Sal & Caramelle in        
  Saving Professor Caffèlatte   

I'm working on this little puzzle game. It's about a hard candy and a smoked salt canister trying to save their friend, the professor.
The gameplay resembles the lost vikings style, characters depend on each other's abilities to overcome obstacles.

Caramelle: Fast and little, he can get through small gaps and jump.
Salahumad: He's the strong, indestructible and... dumb character. He can't jump or move fast but blasts his hat with great power and endures almost anything.

I hope it to be fun to play, but it's not the work of my life Smiley

It's still in it's diapers but, as always, any comments are welcome.

Best regards
-Martín Coffee
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:52:51 AM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

Haha, I thought for sure he was a salt shaker, and was shooting out salt haha.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »

only got as far as the spike lookin part
pretty fun

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Yah, the pink spike things have me stumped also.

Could you bind a key to retry? It feels weird swapping between the mouse and the keyboard. A Lemmings-style suicide on retry would be cool too. I always felt it helped vent my frustration at failing to solve a puzzle.

Looking nice so far.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »

Thank you guys! Yes, you got to the end. I must add a lever (that retains it's state) for that last part so Caramelle can also use the wind boost. Alpha 0.2 is an obstacle test prototype.

I thought of binding to reset, R, but I wanted to do some gameplay tests first (because I have to hack Flixel a bit to use more keys)

Cheers

Working on HeliBrawl
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »

If you want to avoid adding a key you could instead make sure the player could always kill themselves through in-world device (spikes etc). It'd be extra work of course, but it'd also ensure you always had red herrings near the puzzles.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

Hey, that's a great idea!, I'll keep that in mind
Thanks!

Working on HeliBrawl
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »

Awesome. More games should follow The Lost Viking's lead. Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Smiley

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »

Hi there Noyb! Nice to know you're still alive... how are you? Smiley

Ok, I've uploaded Alpha 0.3.
It has levers, springs, blobs for points, and an end of level star
No sounds/music yet.

I've renamed it to Sal & Caramelle. What do you think?

Regards!

Working on HeliBrawl
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »

Doing well. Working on a puzzle platformer with a group of friends for a game design class.

I like the character these designs have. Especially the look of horror on the salt shaker's face when the caramel dies.

I like how you gave the player control over togglable switches through movement rather than an action button. Might be some interesting puzzles with them based on Sal's inability to jump.

The bit at the end of the first level is really tedious when Caramelle is on top of Sal, but doesn't move when Sal moves.

You might want mid-level checkpoints if the levels get any longer or more difficult.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »

Doing well. Working on a puzzle platformer with a group of friends for a game design class.
Great man!

I like the character these designs have. Especially the look of horror on the salt shaker's face when the caramel dies.
Thanks, I'm proud of that myself  Embarrassed

I like how you gave the player control over togglable switches through movement rather than an action button. Might be some interesting puzzles with them based on Sal's inability to jump.
Yes, or for both if the ceiling is too short, for example, to jump and skip a lever.

The bit at the end of the first level is really tedious when Caramelle is on top of Sal, but doesn't move when Sal moves.
It's because of Caramelles slipperyness (?)... ok, that's actually a excuse, I never faced that because I usually make caramelle just jump as soon as it touches the hat and jump over the whole pit fast. But I'll keep an eye on that matter, because I found that part (spikes) is really hard for most people.

You might want mid-level checkpoints if the levels get any longer or more difficult.
I'm not really sure on this matter. I don't know if I'm gonna keep the levels relatively short or put mid level checkpoints all over the place.

Thanks for your answer man, I hope to see you puzzle soon!

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic