Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:33:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesVVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]
Print
Author Topic: VVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)  (Read 95249 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »

Eufloria did that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Terry got the idea from them.

Bingo Smiley I got talking to Rudolf Kremers about it at the Eurogamer Expo last year, and then later that day saw Rob Fearon talk about accessibility. I think it's a great idea, more games should do it.

I'm of the opinion that as a game option, it actually makes the challenges in the game more meaningful - "Doing things the hard way", for example, becomes even more optional when you know you can just flick a switch to get its reward, and becomes all the more satisfying as a result if you do manage to do it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:30:34 PM by Terry » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Terry
I'm of the opinion that as a game option, it actually makes the challenges in the game more meaningful - "Doing things the hard way", for example, becomes even more optional when you know you can just flick a switch to get its reward, and becomes all the more satisfying as a result if you do manage to do it.

Hm, never looked at it that way. But you have a point.

Bingo
yeah I know I'm a genius Smiley
Gnarf
« Reply #502 on: September 11, 2010, 01:53:13 AM »

I think "accessibility" makes sense when you're talking about the basics. If you have to read through a manual and have a degree in space rocket science in order to figure out how to move your dude, then the game is a little inaccessible. (Not that I have a problem with games being inaccessible. Easy to learn and hard to master, or hard to learn and hard to master -- it's really the hard to master part that is most important.) But these days when people talk about accessibility it's as if every part of the game must be immediately accessible. Mastery of the game must be accessible (i.e. it must be a shallow game), or at the very least all those things you get from mastering the game should just be given to you at the start.

I'm kind of with you on that. I think. Unlocks are often a little uncool, because people end up doing stuff because they get a wallpaper or some shit like that for it rather than because it is awesome stuff. But it's still cool if the game recognizes the awesome stuff you're doing. If the game says that you did X and that's just amazing, then that's pretty nice. If there's a princess in one of the castles then that's kind of cool. Bragging rights stuff.

So really, I'd prefer it if the unlocks (game modes and whatever else that "mattered") were just given to you at the start. Not put in some options menu or anything, just nothing to unlock. And then have bragging rights stuff, achievements-like stuff, in the game.

People value money differently. It's pointless to discuss.

There's little to discuss. But it's a pretty dumb way to criticize a game and it's worth throwing a little ridicule their way when people start complaining about the price. Imply that they are poor people who live in boxes and stuff like that Smiley
st33d
« Reply #503 on: September 11, 2010, 02:55:12 AM »

Time Fcuk let you unlock levels at will if you couldn't be bothered to play them. In fact there's quite a few games that do that.

Also, this is relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h060tKzaDhg#t=2m11s
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:28 AM »

the people saying that it's worth the price tick me off.
it wasn't worth it before?

to some it wasn't worth it's price at 15 dollars. no big deal, no reason to discuss it further. it's not like their opinion on the worth of the game is universally true. it's just how some people feel, and that's ok. no need to get ticked off about it.

I got it for $35, and it was definitely worth it.

Great game, Terry.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 11, 2010, 06:36:21 AM »

Time Fcuk only let you skip levels twice. Attempting to do so more than twice gives you a message that you are being lazy. That's pretty traditional game design in my opinion. You can play custom levels if you like, but you can't see the ending that way.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: September 11, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »

I've played VVVV (the 16k demake) a few times, and if VVVVVV is anything like that, then it would be intense!

Now to find a way to buy it without my dad knowing that I'm working with that "shifty internet business." (he thinks that buying games online is a fraud to get your credit card number.)

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 11, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »

Terry is going to be hearing from my lawyers...

My... MURDER LAWYERS.

It's okay. Eventually I got the trinket, and I've called the law firm of Stabby, Stabby and Krebowskowitz and told them to cool their jets. You can probably stop looking over your shoulder now.

I mean, assuming they check their voicemail.

Seriously, though, great game. I still have the music stuck in my head.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: September 11, 2010, 01:12:54 PM »

It's okay. Eventually I got the trinket, and I've called the law firm of Stabby, Stabby and Krebowskowitz and told them to cool their jets. You can probably stop looking over your shoulder now.

I mean, assuming they check their voicemail.

Seriously, though, great game. I still have the music stuck in my head.

Speaking of the music. I posted a short review of PPPPPP on tigmn this morning after playing the game. The music rocks. Been listening to it all day today. :D

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: September 12, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »

I think "accessibility" makes sense when you're talking about the basics. If you have to read through a manual and have a degree in space rocket science in order to figure out how to move your dude, then the game is a little inaccessible. (Not that I have a problem with games being inaccessible. Easy to learn and hard to master, or hard to learn and hard to master -- it's really the hard to master part that is most important.) But these days when people talk about accessibility it's as if every part of the game must be immediately accessible. Mastery of the game must be accessible (i.e. it must be a shallow game), or at the very least all those things you get from mastering the game should just be given to you at the start.

I think there are two uses of the word accessible here. On the one hand, there can be a sense of "dumbing down" or making a game too easy in order to appeal to a wider audience. That might mean a real sacrifice to your vision or the quality of the game, and/or might even be seen as a bit insulting. But there's another sense, which I think is what Terry was meaning:

Many people have disabilities or conditions that make it difficult or impossible for them to play many games. One easy example is color blindness; there was a writeup recently I think on gamasutra talking about how certain puzzles in BioShock 2 are impossible or near-impossible for a color blind person to defeat. Not nice if you're color blind!

Other people may not have the motor control required to beat certain parts of an action game. So a slow-motion mode or an invincibility mode can be really helpful for them and allow them to enjoy a game they might not otherwise be able to.

Anyhow, here is the article that I think states things more clearly than I am doing here:

http://www.retroremakes.com/access/

If you think of it, it's especially cool that a super reflex-challenging game like VVVVVV contains accessibility options for people who might already have challenges with their reflexes in day-to-day situations. This is exactly the type of game that such a person would be normally written completely out of, so it's nice to think of it opening up to a new audience.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »

there's a way to unlock the secret ending in eversion without playing it
it's called youtube

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »

there's a way to unlock the secret ending in eversion without playing it
it's called youtube

What is this mystical place of 'youtube' that you refer to? Is it a place of gods where you may see into the future? Or is the pit of the damned where the evil of this world watch from the shadows?

Yeah... youtube saved my ass when my PS2 chewed up my Xenosaga disc half way through the ending. I had to finish it on youtube.

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »

That's a really good resource, thanks for posting it! Smiley

Regarding the game, regarding the game I just beat it and loved every second! So many things to commend Terry on for this game. In particular I loved the way that the challenges were so nailbightingly hard, but the frequent checkpoints and fast respawns meant it never got frustrating. And you still get that awesome feeling of accomplishment when you beat a section.

And the level music's some of the best I've heard in a game. Really gets me pumped!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »

I felt like the "overworld" between the main levels was underutilized. More background details like lab equipment or space creatures (non violent ones, of course) would have made it more interesting to explore. Level names also were an attractive aspect of the game, it was a disappointment that the overworld lacked them.

I like how each "intermission" level has different dialogue based on who you bring with you. That is a nice touch that adds a little replay value to the game.

Is this intended as a one-shot deal, or will there be a sequel (spiritual or standard)?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic