Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:43:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlatformopolis
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformopolis  (Read 2175 times)
Topher
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:23:37 AM »

So I'd made a soundtrack for a concept I had rolling around in my head for a Sonic the Hedgehog parody called Jasper Jackalope.  I really liked the sound (even though I still need to do some work on it), so I'm building a real game to go with it.  It is not Jasper Jackalope but it will probably use similar level names from the songs.

I want this to be a fun, colorful 8 and 16 bit platformer pastiche, taking a cue from my favorites and remixing them into something new while adding in some original ideas.

So step one was to create a basic movement engine which you can download here (for Windows):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zozm45twhng

You can walk around and jump and butt stomp and wall jump and slide down slopes.  I'm probably going to take out double jump (except maybe as a bonus) simply because it's easier to design a level around a regular jump.  The shirt being asymmetrically reversed like a bad sprite is on purpose. 

I have some ideas about the physics, but tell me what you think and if you find any weird bugs.

Meanwhile, I'm going to whip up some different kinds of platforms...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:09:15 AM by Topher » Logged

Topher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »

Okay new engine test.  Still using placeholder graphics.  The background is from  Disney's Home on the Range.

Now that I have the main engine in a decently playable state, I've added some different kinds of regular platforms:

Auto Movers:
Horizontal: moves from side to side
Vertical: moves up and down
Diamond: moves in a diamond pattern
Square: moves in a square pattern

Reactors:
Sinkers: sinks when you stand on them and respawn when hitting a background or bottomless pit
Sinker/Risers: sinks when you stand on them, rise when you step off
Pressure Sinker: sinks when you stand on them, stops when you don't
Crumbler: is destroyed when you step on it
Scale: when you step on one side, the other goes up

I might add some more but these are a good basis for any other kind I might make.

Here is a kind of stuttery video of it in action:

You can play it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?l2yoya5y32i

Tell me if you find any bugs or if you don't like the feel.

I've got some new ideas for the design as well.  What if you had to push around giant buildings or stomp them into the ground to get to the right area.  I also am thinking about maybe making some state change platforms with fire/ice balls.  For instance you could turn ice into water to get to new locations (or vice versa).  You could also cool lava and turn it into stone.  I haven't really decided on any kinds of weapons yet though so I dunno.

Next I have a few basic level gimmicks planned.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

Everything works really well, good job Smiley

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:46 AM »

It all seems to work well, but for me I found it far too drifty and slow - maybe play around with the physics and tweak it a little.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink
Topher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »

Alrighty, you can try out the new version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zuiyq1zm1nn

Most people who tried it agreed that it was too slow and slippery, so I upped the speed and deceleration.  I still think part of the perception of slowness is the weird walking animation.  Also, later I might lower the jump strength a little bit since he's faster.

I fixed a bug where you couldn't duck on the moving platforms and added a drop down  so in game if you duck and press the jump button while on a jump-through platform that's on the ground you fall through.  You can try it on the first stripy platform.

Mainly, I added a few new gimmicks for use in-level.

There are SMB style trampolines that bounce you higher the longer you stay on them, rider platforms that follow an automated path when you step on them, tunnels to crawl through, and conveyor belts.

I think a few more gimmicks will give me a good basis for pre-enemy level design.  If you play it, tell me how it feels and any bugs you might find.

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »

I still think part of the perception of slowness is the weird walking animation.
Yeah definitely, though the new build does feel better it still looks slow. Also going up the slope while jumping is a bit weird, I think I even managed to wall jump off it.

Otherwise you seem to have a good engine going, well done.   Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic