Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:53:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDisappointing final bosses
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Disappointing final bosses  (Read 22420 times)
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

in the first one you can get the thing to suicide

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »

Same goes for arcanum and planescape torment

Hijongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »

On the topic of the Mario bosses, I agree that the ones in the "main" games are crap, but I quite liked the RPG Mario game bosses (with the exception of the one on the snes which I never played so I can't say, and the one at the end of Super Paper Mario, but isn't that basically just one of the regular platformers anyways?) especially the end of Bowser's Inside Stories with the Bowser stage of the fight and the music making it superbly awesome. Can't forget either Cackletta's final fight in Superstar Saga... Mock Anger Partners In Time was just a meh-game in total.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2010, 04:37:50 AM »

I can't say I'd have enjoyed the final fights in Partners in Time or Superstar Saga. Indeed, PiT was overall quite lame, but Cackletta didn't feel that special either.

anosou
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:08 PM »

I will not lie, I think bosses are overused and quite annoying. To have such a roadblock in a game instead of making a nice, smooth difficulty curve will forever be a mystery to me. I guess that's why I like arcade-style shooters that just grows harder and harder by other means.

Some of the worst bosses are those cheap JRPG bosses that has some silly trick up it's sleeve like they'll petrify you. The only thing that does is make you die once, then you equip some stupid bangle that protects you and rape the boss. That is NOT good game design, the bad form of trial-and-error.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

I feel like the least disappointing final bosses are the ones that have two forms, the second of which are screen-filling monstrosities.
Examples: Boktai and LOZ oracle of seasons.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:08:58 AM by necromian » Logged
Lime
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2010, 06:40:20 AM »

I can't say I'd have enjoyed the final fights in Partners in Time or Superstar Saga. Indeed, PiT was overall quite lame, but Cackletta didn't feel that special either.
Facepalm I'm still playing partners in time...

That's how the game goes,
That's how the lime rolls.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »

I just finished Gitaroo Man today, and was pleasantly surprised by the final boss. The solos were break-off-my-hands hard, but it messed around with the sequence of phases to compensate, which allowed me to feel awesome even though I was playing quite badly. The solos also got easier as I started to get the upper hand, which seemed to mimic Gitaroo Man's change into his final form. Well-thought out, and only slightly mean-spirited in the beginning.

On the other hand, I am currently stalled on the boss run in Final Fantasy 3 because I haven't ground my characters up to the level that I need them to be at. I can beat three of the four bosses and then I usually run out of Shuriken and die. Not a fan of the massive hp bosses with the one attack that invariably kills one member of the party, where success depends on the random number gods not selecting that attack. Seriously, I am totally done with this game and just want it to be over. I enjoyed it up to this point, but I've done this run maybe four or five times.

|
siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »

did anybody say Prince of Persia:Sands of Time yet? That almost ruined the game for me.

He just stands there and tries a few attacks while you wail on him. Its so pathetic.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic