Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:26:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Qubicle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Qubicle  (Read 2084 times)
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »

So, im not sure if this is the right section, but i found a cool little app currently in development that you artistically inclined guys and gals might want to keep tabs on.

Its meant to design 3d pixel art, basically low res trixel  Tongue voxel objects (yeah ok so its not really voxels just a lot of stacked cubes but still). Theres also supposedly going to be a Maya plugin with the same funcionality, and a VERY cool feature to top it off, the fact that you will be (allegedly) able to export animated meshes to a 3d cube matrix; which means animated 3d pixel art (is there even a term for that?) will become a feasible possibility (i suppose as prerendered sprites initially, but maybe with the right game engine it could be true ingame 3d).
And, yes, all this reminds us of Fez and 3D Dot Game Heroes and the myriad mockups around the internet depicting retro games in voxelly 3D, so its not really groundbreaking stuff or any such thing.
In any case, heres some sample art.

Its slated for release in 2010, and in closed beta right now, so im basically just teasing you with it.

http://www.minddesk.com/?page_id=60

[Now, if im allowed to be picky, something that just rubs me the wrong way is the fact that when rendered it projects a shadow for each cube individually. There should be an option to use or create some sort of underlying mesh, and use the surface normals of its polygons as a guide when it comes to shading the whole object. I think it would give it a more consistent pixel art look. But im just ranting here.]

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »

Trixel ripoff*
*j/k, that looks really sweet!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »

It would be really mindblowing if someone used this tool to create models and then, render these models to use them as sprites in a lofi game

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »

This looks great.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

This sounds like a ton of fun. I'd love to take a shot at this.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »

Wow!

'Nough said.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:37:14 AM »

Voxels   Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:40:44 AM »

Holy expletive, Batman! There some videos as well. I missed those at first.

http://www.minddesk.com/?cat=5    Coffee

One would think im getting paid a commision for pimping the thing or something.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic