Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:03:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWorldPlay! (Working Title) // Feb 26: Level selection preview vid up
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: WorldPlay! (Working Title) // Feb 26: Level selection preview vid up  (Read 10134 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »

This is MY game. I love this.  Kiss
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »

I'm sure this game will be a huge indie success. Very cool execution.

You might need some feedback when the player manages to fulfill the bonus requirements. This'll make it cleared and encourage the player to get those every time.

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

I'm sure this game will be a huge indie success. Very cool execution.

You might need some feedback when the player manages to fulfill the bonus requirements. This'll make it cleared and encourage the player to get those every time.
Yup, that's next on the list - when a word is played, the word, base score, multiplied score, and another as-yet-unannounced-bonus (suspense! Grin) will all be displayed. Just trying to work out the best way to present the info.

I'm also looking at making the gauge a little bit clearer - it can be a little hard to tell exactly how full it is at times.

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »

Big day of work today (at least it felt like it). Piked on heading out with the wife to a friend of hers for the arvo to work on the game -- guilt it a great motivator Giggle

Anyways, today's highlights:
- the game displays the number of points earned / the amount of the bonus gauge filled for each word played.
- full re-write of the summary screen, with additional functionality (now allows you to review all the words played in the game), and new, different bugs!
- a better loading screen (including a few new systems to give me more flexibility with loading, and spending less time with the main thread blocked).
- lots of playing (play testing *cough*), and a few new PB scores :D

Anyways, while there's still a lot to be done, there's a largely playable game in there now, and as such...

Call For Testers
I'm looking for some people to put the game through it's paces, tell me how awesome or otherwise it is, and find all manner of hitherto undiscovered bugs. You'll need an iPhone OS device (iPhone/iPod Touch) running v.3.1.2 of the OS.

If you're interested, shoot me a message with your device's ID. If you don't know it, you can find it in iTunes -- connect the device, go to the summary page, and click on the serial number and it should show you the 40 character UDID. Alternatively, you can find helper apps on the store to get it.

I'm aiming to have the test build ready for the weekend -- I'm gonna throw together a quick tutorial and a few other bits and pieces.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:58:33 AM by Zaid Crouch » Logged

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »

Work continues!

I've been polishing a few things, chasing up and adding in more art, and finally turned my attention to one of the parts of the game that I've been avoiding: the "stage" part of the game. Most of the work so far's been on the mechanics of the game itself, but recently I've been looking a bit more at home I'm gonna stretch this out into a full game, and change things up a little.

Adding in NPCs and more in context feedback is part of that, and you can see the first version of that in moving pictures here:

The comment selection is a bit rough at the moment, and in the future I'll be changing the way it works a little, but the idea is there. I'm also thinking of adding in a few easter eggs and stuff in there too.  Smiley

There's a ton of new artwork in there too (mostly little odds and ends), and most of my little programmer art additions have been removed. \o/

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:13 AM »

Haha, love the running commentary in the new video :D

ChevyRay
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 01:30:15 AM »

Is there going to be an option to put the letters in alphabetical order as well? I can type like a mofo with an actual keyboard, but when letters are arranged like that on cell phones or screen buttons like that, it's just annoying for me, when I'd prefer just to have the letters in order where I know immediately where to find them all.

Mostly because I type words with a keyboard, not letters.
Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:59 AM »

Is there going to be an option to put the letters in alphabetical order as well? I can type like a mofo with an actual keyboard, but when letters are arranged like that on cell phones or screen buttons like that, it's just annoying for me, when I'd prefer just to have the letters in order where I know immediately where to find them all.

Mostly because I type words with a keyboard, not letters.

Sounds easy enough to do, will chuck it in :D

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 05:45:30 PM »

Soooooooooooo................................. This thread's been quiet for a while now. Embarrassed

The project took a bit of a hiatus (well, I took a bit of a hiatus), but the last month has seen a resumption of progress.

Yay. \o/

My recent focus has been on expanding the game out from a single stage to a full game. I've been specifically working on the design and coding of the stage selection mechanism, and planning out the progression of levels. There'll be a bit of narrative around that, and I'm trying to decide how far I take that, although at the moment I'm thinking the game will be better served by something quite simple.

I do have a couple of concerns about how to change up the gameplay enough to keep it interesting, but dealing with those kinds of things is half the fun, right?

Expect more updates soon, and hopefully next time there'll be pretty pictures (mayhap even pretty moving pictures) attached. Wink

Zaid Crouch
Level 0

*doink*

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

While I've been pretty quiet recently, a lot of progress is being made. Basically, the way I had the game built before was great for that one level, but it was a little inflexible. So my main focus over the last couple of weeks has been rebuilding a lot of those systems, whilst making them more flexible and dynamic. There's been (as always) a lot of new learning for me along the way, so the last couple of weeks have been  a bit of a rollercoaster, but fun.

As mentioned in my last post, I've also been working on the stage selection screen, and just received a bunch of (amazing) new art to go along with that and some of the new stages I have planned. So I thought I'd chuck a quick vid together, 'cause it's always nice to have stuff to show off. It's got a few quirks and oddities, but hopefully it's enough to give a sense of the look and feel of it.

Hand Any Key

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic