Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:43:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 89862 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »

Can we enter in both Part 1 and Part 2?  If so, are we forbidden from using our own stuff?

hi
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »

Can we enter in both Part 1 and Part 2?  If so, are we forbidden from using our own stuff?

1. Yes.

2.  Let's find out:

General consensus is that it's okay as long as you don't use your own assets.

Just found out you CAN use your own stuff. Guess Derek needs to make it clearer on the main rules, since he only mentioned on the Idea Pool thread.

Lets just hope no-one uses mostly their own stuff. Otherwise what's the point?

From the rules:  "- Onlookers are allowed to make suggestions and comment on the assets, but if you plan on participating in the part two, you cannot share your game ideas in detail with the artists and musicians."

So, apparently, you *CAN* use your own stuff, as long as you don't share your game ideas with yourself.

Also, it's frowned upon, because that makes no sense at all, and it seems contrary to the spirit of the competition.

But wait, there's more:

I don't want to encourage it, but I don't want to deny it, either.  But I seriously doubt many people will just use their own graphics.  You'd have to make a complete graphics set and do all the programming...

That just raises further questions!

Also from the rules:

2. In the second part, designers and programmers will have a month to take the assets created in part one and make games with them (assets used need not be limited to one person or team).

Aha.

So by "you'd have to make a complete graphics set", Derek meant, "in order to make a game using ONLY your own stuff".

I think we have a clear picture now  (official people, please correct me if I'm wrong):

For Part 2, you can use your own assets created for Part 1, but they should be only a small part of the assets you're using.  And they should be created for everyone or anyone, not for some specific game you plan to make.

People will probably vote partly based on the spirit of the competition, so don't think of what you can get away with under the letter of the rules.

Think of Part 1 like bringing a dish to a potluck:  you can of course have some of your own dish, but you shouldn't mostly eat what you brought, nor bring something that nobody else is likely to eat.

There are lots of talented cooks at this party, so you should fill your plate with wonderful variety.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2009, 02:17:07 AM »

Does it really matter that much? It's not like there are cash prizes Shrug
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2009, 03:02:29 AM »

yes it's more important than water

hi
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2009, 06:28:04 AM »

So, apparently, you *CAN* use your own stuff, as long as you don't share your game ideas with yourself.

After making your assets, just hit yourself on the head really hard so that you forget why you made them.

Personally, I think people would prefer to have someone contribute cool assets in the first half and then use them themselves rather than just not contribute at all - but maybe that's just me.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »

Personally, I think people would prefer to have someone contribute cool assets in the first half and then use them themselves rather than just not contribute at all - but maybe that's just me.

Me too. After all, even in the 'worst' (least spirit/community-oriented) case of someone making a game they were going to make anyway and dressing it up in the garb of Assemblee in passing, then hey - they're still contributing a load of assets that other games get to use, right?

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

Games are meant to mix and match assets. Yes, they'll look fugly, but that's the fun of it! Bad looking games can be just as great as good looking ones.

Especially with humour. I hope to see some hilarious mashups going here.

Also, yeah, Derek seems to have decided to leave that small part of the rules nebulous, so lets not think too much of it. People that mostly use their own stuff will probably not get many votes anyway.

Your prize for winning a TIGS compo isn't money, it's GLORY.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
enalios
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »

With regards to only modifying sprites at runtime.

Say a coding team chooses a game engine which can only do animations from separate files? Would they be permitted to cut an animation or sprite sheet into separate files, and just not change anything. Or is this a hard rule that will have the judges running a diff on the resource files?

Or should we just use another engine?
pgil
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2009, 05:50:36 PM »

From my understanding you're allowed to convert formats and slice the images wherever necessary. As long as you're not modifying the actual artwork.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »

Yeah, I think that's well within the spirit of the competition, enalios.
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

Something tells me a lot of entrees are going to resemble typical RPGmaker games.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »

But with awesome. Kiss

Like Barkley's Shut up and Jam Gaiden.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

entrees

I had to look it up to be sure, but great typo.

And yeah... this competition set itself up for a lot of joke games.  I'm not really complaining, though.

-PENCERKOFF

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »

Or is this a hard rule that will have the judges running a diff on the resource files?
WHOIS TEH Judges? Scary!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »

The Judges, they who sit within their shadowy halls, reviewing the compo entries with the piercing gaze and sharp mind of a narwhal.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »

I don't mean to be a pain in the nuts double-poster douche, but have you checked the asset organizer I made?
It could be a convenient way to give ratings to vote part 1 and to tag/filter if you want to use the assets for the part 2.

Regards

Working on HeliBrawl
Slide20xl
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »

Alright, I think I just figured out what I'm looking at in that poster.

If you want to see what I saw, imagine that eye as a mouth.

Yeah.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »

Will released assets be under a CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license or somesuch? I ask because I have one of those anti-capitalist days. Yeah, I know boring legal stuff.

I might do some Moon Patrol paraphrasing.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »

I believe they will be released somewhat like that. You can use for non-commercial purposes as long as you give credit and shit.

Also it's good you're here. We've been in a terrible shortage of panty-related assets.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

We've been in a terrible shortage of panty-related assets.

... what?

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic