Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:07:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 89858 times)
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2009, 08:41:20 AM »

An extra week or few days would be a much appreciated extension to Assemblee Part I
Agreed. I had to work like crazy to meet the deadline, but I have to admit even a couple extra days would give me time to finish up my robot dragon and maybe make another sound pack.

nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »

Ergh. Voting against extension. Extending deadline misses half the point of the competition. If you got a late start, or didn't have time to do everything you wanted.. oh well! Nothing is stopping you from still working on whatever you were doing, and releasing those assets publically at a later date. But for purposes of Part II, no more assets should be allowed, and the Part I forum should be locked/frozen already.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »

Anyways, treated by innumerable artwork, I want to start making them games asap. It's toruture to sit and wait.

So, can we start NOW?

IceGladiator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »

I agree with Sos, I can't wait to start working on the game! Are we able to start?
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »

the Part I forum should be locked/frozen already.

By all means be against an official extension, but locking/freezing the forum is nothing short of obnoxious.

For example, I spent many of my evenings over the last month working on sprites for this competition, for the benefit of other people on this forum. I may make something for the second half of the competition, but I definitely won't be using any of my own sprites; I gain nothing from having made them but a bit of animation practice.
Due to real-life issues beyond my control, I wasn't at a computer with internet access on the 29th and didn't have time to upload my work before this evening; if you're honestly suggesting that my hard work should just be lost, and those evenings I spent should be rendered totally pointless, then I would like to suggest that you're being a bit short-sighted. It wouldn't benefit anyone at all and would only serve to piss me off and make me unlikely to volunteer to help my fellow forum-dwellers in the future.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »

No locking the forum (I don't think I can even do that). TIGS compos aren't even for real prizes, so being that strict would just grate on people's nerves.

Sure, we find ourselves needing to trust people more than usual. But that's probably a good thing.

So those of you needing to upload stuff in a hurry still, just go ahead and do it. If anyone doesn't like that, don't use those assets/vote for the creators.

Of course, I'm not saying that we should let people upload stuff several days after the deadline, but one day won't kill anyone.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

I admit to being pretty draconian. Wink FUN MUST BE REGULATED, CITIZEN.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »

And that's a wrap for part one!  I'd say it's a tremendous success!  I'll post an official announcement mid-week on the front page about part two, but the plan is for it to begin this weekend.

In the meantime, I need to start rounding up all of the entries to put on a single page...
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »

Alright, Assemblee: Part I has been awesome.  
Is there a place on these forums where we can continue to share assets?  Would be lots of fun.  Feedback area?  Projects?  I am not so sure.  Some where maybe were we can show case our work, share with others and get feedback?  Hmm...
Can hardly wait for Assemblee: Part II!

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »

While Part 2 doesn't start, what do you guys say we make some mockups using the assets?

This one was done in just 20 minutes, so it's pretty crappy:

Wonder Pup Against The Plutonian Iron Men: IN SPACE.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2009, 01:05:15 AM »

Nice! :D

I hadn't thought about using the hollow balls to go over things. Makes a nice looking energy shield.

Also, when is Part II going to be starting? I thought it would have been December 1, but obviously not. Any ideas?
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »

This huge collection of assets could work frighteningly well with the Video Game Name Generator: http://norefuge.net/vgng/vgng.html

Awesome. Big Laff

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2009, 12:44:32 PM »

Is Creative Commons the best public license to use for the artwork and music?

What I think we're looking for is:

1. Use/remix freely for non-commercial projects
2. Give attribution to the original author somewhere in the project itself

CC seems tailored more for a single type of work/single artist...
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »

Is Creative Commons the best public license to use for the artwork and music?

What I think we're looking for is:

1. Use/remix freely for non-commercial projects
2. Give attribution to the original author somewhere in the project itself

CC seems tailored more for a single type of work/single artist...
Sounds good to me.
Something like: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/us/

The freedom to remix, share and required to give attribution seems like it would be necessary for this competition.  Probably best to go with a more restrictive license and default to Non-Commercial and leave it up to each author/creator of the assets to decided whether or not to allow Commercial use.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:02:42 PM by BigLon » Logged

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »

Mushroom Killer Deluxe

hi
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »

Also, when is Part II going to be starting? I thought it would have been December 1, but obviously not. Any ideas?

Yeah, I thought Part I was supposed to end on Nov29 or something? - been checking every day to see if a Part II forum was active yet...

I don't think anyone's against Part I being extended, just let Part II get going, with an overlap maybe - maybe a chance to can request a few assets we realise are missing?...

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »

Personally I'd either like Part 1 officially extended a couple of days or outright cut off. It's a bit uncomfortable restraining myself from finishing one of my sprites because I don't want to be the last one to slip past the deadline, but more and more people keep doing so.

I think an extension with overlap would make everyone happy. If the other artists are like me, we all have something we regret not finishing/adding and know exactly how we'd spend an extra day. Admittedly the "You still have plenty of time to enter Part1" on the main page is a bit misleading.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:30:42 PM by Kazerad » Logged

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »

Yay mockups.

Oh No! The World Ended Again!

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »

[image]

Wonder Pup Against The Plutonian Iron Men: IN SPACE.
So help me god Melly, if you don't make this game using Klik and Play I will send hitmen to track you down.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »

yeah make gam not mockups.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic