Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:15:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 90285 times)
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »

I'm up for getting involved in the code/design part of this competition. Is it a stipulation on the code side that ALL of the code be written from scratch in a month, or is it okay to build on the engine I already have? (I'm not talking about just slapping assets into an already-completed game, but using a pre-existing game engine to build the game on top of once the second month starts).

piyush86
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »

My first compo.... Evil
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 09:51:32 AM »

Sounds very cool.

Yeah, the legalities of what we're allowed to do with the assets is important to know. A Non-Commercial License means that a flash game can't be distributed through sites like kongregate that generate ad revenue..

Also: final assets should be sorted somehow, perhaps assign tags to each something like "Art, 3D", "Music, Sound"

A game of mine: Ten Second War
prof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

nice.
Maybe you could say an *almost-date* for the programmers ?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »

Yeah, the legalities of what we're allowed to do with the assets is important to know. A Non-Commercial License means that a flash game can't be distributed through sites like kongregate that generate ad revenue..

Couldn't this kind of thing be sorted out via personal communication between the programmers and the artists whose assets they're using? If someone made a really cool flash game using my graphics, I'd be really happy for it to go on Kongregate, for example, but I would expect a cut of any ad revenue. Hand Money Left Evil Hand Money Right

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 11:58:09 AM »

This is a great idea for a compo Grin  Think I'll contribute some sounds and music.  Is there a preferred sound file format?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »

Awesome little poster, this is a fantastic idea! Can't wait to see the (inevitably) hilarious results!
test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

Hi

I want to be able to use the art for the second month's code competition, should I start a topic or subscribe anywhere?

falsion
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »

What if we use original sound effects in our games? Do they have to be submitted before we can use them?

Sometimes I generate sounds in sfxr when I can't find an appropriate sound effect. Or create short, really basic, fanfare music by messing around in FL Studio (for things like item pickups).

I think I'll especially be doing this if I can't find those kinds of pieces in the submitted assets. I'll end up creating my own. But can I do that? Or are we only allowed to use submitted assets?
pgil
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »

4. Converting between formats should be allowed, I think, as long as the core work remains unchanged.

Yeah, I agree. And with lossy formats (like mp3), I think a programmer should be allowed to ask a musician for a version of their song in a different bitrate or whatever, since it's not really practical to upload 10 different versions  of each audio file. As long as they come from the same source.
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left I have a good feel about this Hand Thumbs Up Right

Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

Fucking ace!

Shouldn't the (relevant) code be open source too, since it's all about sharing? Smiley

(Not saying that someone shouldn't want to join in because they don't want to expose their previously built gazillion line code, but it should be encouraged atleast.)

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »

Wow, this is a super cool idea! I can actually just contribute the stuff I'm good at: ART!

I will throw down when I can, school is a little hectic this week, but this'll be a nice little distraction between all my monstrous art projects. I'll get started tonight :D
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »

Wow, I love the idea. I'm definately slapping some music together for this (when I'm not about to pass out on my keyboard from tiredness).
pgil
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »

So...

I've already been saving the posted assets to a folder on my computer. When the end of Part 1 comes around, I think I'd like to upload a zip with all the assets in it, organized in folders by type of assets. Music, sound effects, ambience, tiles, character animations, item sprites, fonts, hud/gui stuff, etc. If anyone has suggestions on how to organize stuff let me know.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »

How will exclusivity be worked out? Like, if someone creates a full set of amazing graphics that many people will want to use... say a shmup set or something like that. Will there be many shmups with the same graphics or will people end up collaborating together on one?

Not really a rules question per se, just wondering aloud how that will play out.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »

Does anyone else interpret the image like this?

the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »

This is an absolutely fantastic idea for a competition!  Looking forward to getting inspired from the artists' works.

Bill

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »

Does anyone else interpret the image like this?

That is exactly how I interpreted it until I saw the comment in the frontpage post and had vase turn into two faces thing happen.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Russell Fincher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »

So, would it be OK for an an artist to submit more than one "set" of assets?  Say I wanted to submit a groups of 3d assets in one style, and a set of 2D assets in a completely different style.  I guess if an individual can only start on thread, the two sets would have to be contained in that same thread.  Right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic