Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:21:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Assemblee: Part 1!  (Read 89861 times)
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:16 PM »

Also: question to anyone potentially considering 3d: what filetype do I save the models as to allow them to go into your game? Just in case I get around to making something in 3d.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »

I think Derek mentioned that the .obj type is the easiest to use and convert?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »

I adore this concept. Making things for other people, and working with other people's gifts.  Tears of Joy

Sorry if this was already covered, but when making a game out of other people's assets in Part 2, are you allowed to create any other assets yourself? For example if you wanted a castle but nobody had made such a background or sprite.
If the answer is no, then I presume you'd be allowed to build a castle out of existing sprites (eg, stacking a bunch of "dude with gun"s up on each other to form a castle, or finding a "brick" tile and mapping out a castle with it)...?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:08:57 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »

I personally plan on using ALL ass.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »

I adore this concept. Making things for other people, and working with other people's gifts.  Tears of Joy

Sorry if this was already covered, but when making a game out of other people's assets in Part 2, are you allowed to create any other assets yourself? For example if you wanted a castle but nobody had made such a background or sprite.
If the answer is no, then I presume you'd be allowed to build a castle out of existing sprites (eg, stacking a bunch of "dude with gun"s up on each other to form a castle, or finding a "brick" tile and mapping out a castle with it)...?

I'm not sure, but I believe you should only use assets provided in Part 1 (would be more awesome and creative, in my opinion). And yes, your second idea sounds hilariously ace.

NotWorthy
Level 0

W/e doesn't kill you; simply makes you....STRANGER

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 01:30:46 AM »

Hlo there - is "Reply" the same as making a new thread?

Also - i didn't bother to read the TOS just check agree - if i have a tendency to be a narcissistic asshole - will that get me banned eventually? :X

EDIT
NVM about the thread - i see it now

Last question there - all i see there is ART or SND - i dont see no ART/SND - and from what i understood people can be in teams in regards to the resources - so do I just mark it as ART and insert all the audio my mate made - or is there an ART/SND button there somewhere
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:34:22 AM by NotWorthy » Logged

300 characters is too much - I'd go freaking crazy and freak you out - let's stick to the pic's personal text
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »

there's a generic "Assemblee" icon you can use.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »

Just found out you CAN use your own stuff. Guess Derek needs to make it clearer on the main rules, since he only mentioned on the Idea Pool thread.

Lets just hope no-one uses mostly their own stuff. Otherwise what's the point?

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »

Oh...

Just one? Beg I mean, the man is a machine, he could probably fart a song while still working on something else, and it'd be glorious still.
A couple solo piano pieces, perhaps?  You'd think that would be easy/fast enough.  Wink
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »

Also: question to anyone potentially considering 3d: what filetype do I save the models as to allow them to go into your game? Just in case I get around to making something in 3d.

.blend is recommended since Blender is free and it has exporters for most other formats.  Please don't export to .obj if your content is animated.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

Just found out you CAN use your own stuff. Guess Derek needs to make it clearer on the main rules, since he only mentioned on the Idea Pool thread.

Lets just hope no-one uses mostly their own stuff. Otherwise what's the point?

I don't want to encourage it, but I don't want to deny it, either.  But I seriously doubt many people will just use their own graphics.  You'd have to make a complete graphics set and do all the programming...
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »

I've seen one or two that seem likely.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »

Ah, that's good to know.

I suspect (or rather, hope) that somebody will be crazy enough to make something that somehow incorporates EVERY ASSET SUBMITTED.  :D
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

You're looking at him. Well, hello there!

androidlove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »

.blend is recommended since Blender is free and it has exporters for most other formats.  Please don't export to .obj if your content is animated.
Hi, I just joined the forum because of this collaboration. I'm an artist and musician. I don't use Blender because it confuses me. I'm pretty good with what I have; Bryce6, trueSpace7, and a lot of free tools. I won't be animating the models. I'll just post characters in spread eagle for boning (I assume that's what programmers do with them). What standard 3D format should I post? What 2D format should I post? What format should I post music loops in?

Thanks.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

There is a stickied thread inside the Assemblee: Part 1 forums that should detail some of the things you need.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »

About using your own stuff I don't really think a rule is needed, because if you made all your graphics yourself just bouncing them on the forum, in the end, who'd vote for you? Shrug
genericuser
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »

You're looking at him. Well, hello there!

He's looking at me?  Who, Me?
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »

Hi, I just joined the forum because of this collaboration. I'm an artist and musician. I don't use Blender because it confuses me. I'm pretty good with what I have; Bryce6, trueSpace7, and a lot of free tools. I won't be animating the models. I'll just post characters in spread eagle for boning (I assume that's what programmers do with them). What standard 3D format should I post? What 2D format should I post? What format should I post music loops in?

Thanks.

Programmers traditionally do not rig and animate models, that's usually on the content creation side.  In commercial titles, artists specialize in modelling, rigging or animating but for the purposes of this compo all of these should be done in part 1 by the artists.  Nothing is stopping you from providing static models but be aware that a model in a spread bind pose probably wont get used since animating it requires people to modify the content.

androidlove
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

Thanks.

Programmers traditionally do not rig and animate models, that's usually on the content creation side.  In commercial titles, artists specialize in modelling, rigging or animating but for the purposes of this compo all of these should be done in part 1 by the artists.  Nothing is stopping you from providing static models but be aware that a model in a spread bind pose probably wont get used since animating it requires people to modify the content.
Ok, I should rig them. Bones seem easy in trueSpace. I would have no idea how to include animation files for a walk, much less all the moves a fantasy character would be capable of. Is this possible in trueSpace? I'll take a crash course in Blender if that will help. Anyway, I have ideas for the style I want to create. Maybe I'll just create items in that style and hope a character emerges who fits. What format should I post the props in?

I have a folder of songs I couldn't find a use for. They actually sound like video game music. Would it be cheating if I redid them so they all could dissolve into each other? Should I post wav? Are there programmers who want midi instead?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:19:42 AM by androidlove » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic