Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:30:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 67549 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2009, 01:04:37 AM »

Rules for Part One (Art and Music)

- Assets should be started and ended within the time frame of the competition to be considered for judging (but it's OKAY if you start thinking/prototyping a bit earlier).

- Assets must be made for the competition only.

- To submit assets, start a thread for yourself in this forum.  Each person (or team) is allowed only one thread.  Post all final assets in the first post of the thread.  If possible, post every individual asset, even if you are making a single zip available!  This will make it easier for people to evaluate your work.

- Please break up your artwork into the relevant pieces.  Do not just post mockups!

- You may submit as many assets as you wish, and of any type or mixture of types (art or music).  In fact, THE MORE, AND THE MORE DIVERSE, THE BETTER!

- Onlookers are allowed to make suggestions and comment on the assets, but if you plan on participating in the part two, you cannot share your game ideas in detail with the artists and musicians.

Suggested Assets

Here are some basic assets that would be useful for the designers and programmers!  But feel free, of course, to deviate from this list.  You can even make stuff where you don't know how it could be used!

Graphics:
- Characters
    - Idle Animations
    - Walking Animations
    - Jumping Animations
    - Attacking Animations
    - Death Animations
- Character Portraits
- Backgrounds
- Projectiles (Bullets, Lasers, etc.)
- Particles (Smoke, Fire, etc.)
- Collectibles/Power-Ups
- User Interface Stuff
    - Menus
    - Icons
    - Cursors
- 3d Models
- Sprite Fonts (examples)

Audio:
- Music
- SFX
   - Impact
   - Explosions
   - Beeps and Boops
   - Voices

Suggested Formats:

- For 2d graphics, PNG is suggested.  If possible, post animations as a strip or sprite sheet, and not as an animated gif.

- For 3d graphics, .obj is suggested.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:46:47 PM by Derek » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:14:41 AM »

Maybe .obj is a more common one for 3d models, as you can save in obj from whatever software you use. For skinned meshes could be better to provide them in a pack of different formats if the artist can (.fbx, .x ect)

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

What's the ruling on fonts? Do they also count as art assets? And if they do will the programmers and designers be allowed to use only fonts provided by the artists for the competition?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »

I think a sprite font counts as an art asset.

No, you could use regular PC fonts if you like.  You just won't be able to use any sprite fonts not created by people in part 1.
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:23:57 AM »

Also, if anyone has external textures for their models, the .dds format would work well.
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »

Question. Am I allowed to change a song a little bit for the game creators after this month? Like making it loop so it fits more in the game. That would be practically no work for me. It's just a matter of five clicks.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:04 AM »

Could I enter something I started on the same day as the competition started (a few hours before)?

I'm assuming not.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:07:53 AM »

C418> If you make it loop at runtime it's allowed by the rules.

raiten
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »

What about 2d vector graphics?
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »

something for animators to keep in mind, not all engines support animated gifs. I'd recommend breaking your animations out into png sequences if you have the time to do so. You can even go a step further and provide timing information for each frame to make sure the programmers keep it looking how you intended it to.

Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »

Are we allowed to change the images to get the right transparent color or change the format? (like using .png and alpha channel instead of the usual purple color)

I like this a lot! I always get stuck doing my own horrible artwork when I all I want to do is code.
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »

I think that moderate editing and converting file formats should be allowed.  As Dook said, having control of how transparency is handled should be allowed.  SMRobot suggested .dds format for mesh textures, but I would prefer something like png with the option to convert it any which way.  I'm using Linux, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to work with a DirectX format.

Also, would it be a bad idea to provide meshes primarily as Blender files to be left to the programmer to export them?  Blender is cross platform and open source with a number of exporters, so it should be easy for anybody to use these meshes.  There is a lot that the .obj file format cannot do -- such as animation, for example.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »

I don't know how to use blender and it looks like I'm the only one to make models so far!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 09:58:50 PM »

I was thinking of possibly contributing some 3D meshes (nothing too fancy.)  At the moment I just have some doodles on a page of possible things I could make.  It would seem in the end that there will be more options available for 2D games as so many people are contributing 2D graphics.  I wonder if enough 3D content will be available for seriously attempting a game with.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »

Yeah, I think format conversion will be allowed during part 2. Hand Thumbs Up Left
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »

What about cooperative content creation?  For example, if I make a generic 3D guy with some animations, can other people make a variety of texture mapping for a diverse set of characters?  That way people without much 3D experience might also be able to help with 3D content if they wanted to.  Or would that complicate matters too much?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

I think that's a really cool idea, actually!  It wouldn't be too complicated at all.
n0wak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »

It's still early, but there the compo is sorely lacking in vectory goodness so far. I'm not much of a designer, but I feel compelled to add some simple, basic vector shapes. All the raster stuff I'm seeing so far is too dependent on the resolution it's designed for. Abstract vector stuff would be nice because it's so much more open to interpretation, and can be scaled/manipulated without losing quality.

I can provide multiple formats, but I hope that better artists that me would contribute some.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

True, some vector stuff would be cool.

Also, is it allowed to scale, rotate, tweak & skew the graphics? Same with sound, speed up/speed down allowed?
DYRE
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »

Also, is it allowed to scale, rotate, tweak & skew the graphics? Same with sound, speed up/speed down allowed?
The rules seem to say that this is allowed, as long as it's done by the game at runtime.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic