Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:25:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 68035 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »

^^He speaks truth.

When Derek divulge the rules of Part 2 I'll be sure to let him know of those details. He's apparently a very busy man so it's understandable if he misses something. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

Are we allowed to reuse old code as a starting point for part 2? I'm working on something right now and it has a big chunk of the background stuff that I don't want to rewrite... It wouldn't be any code for the gameplay itself, but just in terms of setting up windows and other similar such things. Is that cool?

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »

Just a quick question, are we allowed to continue to make assets once our time is up, or do we step away and let the coders get to work once part 1 is over?
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »

I say deadline is deadline and compo start is compo start. You start when it starts, and you're done working when the deadline's on the horizon.

This way it's fair, also it's more fun this way too. I too can't wait to get my hands on all this stuuf and start brewing the assets into game(s).

Yet, I do wait, and in the meantime, I'm cooking something for the anti-assemblee (that what it was made for, right?)

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:34 PM »

Just a quick question, are we allowed to continue to make assets once our time is up, or do we step away and let the coders get to work once part 1 is over?

No, only assets made within the timeframe of Part 1 will be eligible for use in Part 2.

Are we allowed to reuse old code as a starting point for part 2? I'm working on something right now and it has a big chunk of the background stuff that I don't want to rewrite... It wouldn't be any code for the gameplay itself, but just in terms of setting up windows and other similar such things. Is that cool?

These has never been a problem with using pre-existent engine code or pre-built engines in TIGS compos. It'd be unreasonable to limit that. The GAME itself needs to be made within the compo timeframe, but as for the bells and whistles behind it, who cares?

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »

That's exactly what I meant Tongue

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »

Sorry if I've missed anything, but does anyone know when Part One is likely to be over? I don't wanna miss the deadline.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »

Sorry if I've missed anything, but does anyone know when Part One is likely to be over? I don't wanna miss the deadline.
About 24 hours. Move fast!

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »

The GAME itself needs to be made within the compo timeframe, but as for the bells and whistles behind it, who cares?

Interesting metaphor.. imagine a machine that is powered by bells and whistles, where the cogs and pistons are merely decorative.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »

When does phase 2 start ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »

Perhaps a torrent with all the submitted files for Assemlbee Part I should be created with the files organized into zips with the authors name in the zip.  I'd find this VERY useful.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

Perhaps a torrent with all the submitted files for Assemlbee Part I should be created with the files organized into zips with the authors name in the zip.  I'd find this VERY useful.

We're working on that

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

We're working on that

Yeah but don't finish too soon, often there are major fixes that occur after the deadline that aren't in the torrents. 

Probably not as big a deal for a bunch of sprites, but there's always somebody who will realize they posted the wrong format or something.

-PENCERKOFF

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »

I want to participate in PHASE II but I have no fucking idea what game to make.No fucking idea.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »

I want to participate in PHASE II but I have no fucking idea what game to make.No fucking idea.
make all the games

hi
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »

make all the games
He's right. Do it.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »

Yeah but don't finish too soon, often there are major fixes that occur after the deadline that aren't in the torrents. 

I know I won't have a chance to upload at all until this evening, thanks to various geographical problems.

On the other hand, I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to make for part 2, if I get the time to work on something. ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »

Myself and Don Andy will team up to puncture your eyes, ears and fingers with distilled glory.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »

If you sort the Assemblee Part 1 threads by total number of views, it's clear that the least popular threads were sound related and the most popular were visual.

Not terribly surprising, I guess.  Undecided
goldenratio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »

I think that may be partially due to the overhead associated with sounds over visuals. Images and graphics will appear right in the thread, in any browser at all. If all the music was in flash players in the thread, they'd probably be more popular because its easier to actually view the submissions. I know for me sometimes they'd open in a new tab with some VLC plugin, sometimes they'd download and open in vlc itself, and sometimes they'd open in WMP. Pretty annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic