Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:42:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 68041 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

Cool. It now struck me that maybe I should have read the rules before asking about them Facepalm

On another note, does it ruin the concept to create a thread where people that aren't to serious about it can dump just a single piece of art or two?
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »

This competition idea is awesome!

I've seen some of the art (not audio thou), and it's going to be great working with that.

I'll definetly in for the next part.

Working on HeliBrawl
Youngblood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »

I always thought of doing something like this...I'm glad someone with more experience and community pull is getting this together.  Great contest idea Derek, Cheers!

A suggestion for 3D models is that we use the collada format .dae because it keeps animation and envelope data.

But since you(Derek) said that it could be converted in phase two by coders, that's cool.  Maybe if something is the wrong format people can request it in something different at that time and get the artist to convert it.
taodih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »

Hi i'm a newb in meaning of Newbie ,
but as i love indie games and i'm a bit artsy i would love to contribute with bg's and items and such.
But * Concerned* as i'm a newb i would like to know what are the prefered extentions and resolutions?
i would like to do 2D related art
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »

but as i love indie games and i'm a bit artsy i would love to contribute with bg's and items and such.
But * Concerned* as i'm a newb i would like to know what are the prefered extentions and resolutions?
png

Resolution doesn't really matter. Do whatever you want.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »

Use PNG for your images, and use a color like death magenta for transparency. Usually size doesn't matter, so long as the size between frames is consistent. To make sure my sprites use the same size, I usually put 1px borders around the frames. My tiles usually avoid borders. Power-of-two or divisible-by-eight sizes are nice occasionally, but not really required.

I dunno, these are my preferences, and part of that comes from being a programmer, and also because the engines I use do similar things.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »

Oh, by the way, does conversion-for-part-2 apply to 2D stuff as well? Some engines I use have their own tileset format which requires you to import into the format before you can use the tiles in an editor. Would this be okay, as long as we say we've done so and still stick to the no-modification-except-at-runtime rule other than doing this?

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »

Oh, by the way, does conversion-for-part-2 apply to 2D stuff as well? Some engines I use have their own tileset format which requires you to import into the format before you can use the tiles in an editor. Would this be okay, as long as we say we've done so and still stick to the no-modification-except-at-runtime rule other than doing this?

Really, anyone who says you can't do that is just being incredibly picky... surely the intent is just to avoid people actually performing creative tasks (like drawing over the top of other people's sprites, or rearranging parts of sprites or whatever) outside of the art phase?

If it were down to me to make a ruling, I'd just suggest that anything that's a mechanical operation that you could write a simple set of instructions for that anyone could follow and reach exactly the same result is probably fine... converting formats, cutting sprite-sheets up into separate files or vice-versa, loading into archives or tile editors or whatever shouldn't really count as creative.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
taodih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

thanks alot guys/girls !

Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
HED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »

Music question: Is there a format restriction for music files? Can I post .MOD or .XM files instead of huuuuge MP3s ? Ninja
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »

Music question: Is there a format restriction for music files? Can I post .MOD or .XM files instead of huuuuge MP3s ? Ninja

I approve of tracker music, myself. But some people might also want MP3 if they have a crappy audio engine that doesn't support them.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »

Flash games, for example, only support MP3's. Might be the best idea to include all the formats you can convert it to.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »

It seems to have been agreed that format conversion is fine, even after the Part 1 cutoff. It's a technical distinction for game engines, not so much a functional one for listeners.
Ashkin
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »

This looks great, but the problem with a compo like this is either a set of beautiful graphics will go into a horrible game, or all the graphics in games will be exactly alike because they all take only the best.
Oh well. It will be fun to see how this turns out, but I won't contribute because I'm still a noob.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

You don't know many of the devs around here. Grin Quirky graphics are probably going to get a good bit of love.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »

It will be fun to see how this turns out, but I won't contribute because I'm still a noob.

Lips Sealed

That's hardly an excuse. Don't be scared, dude! If you think of something cool, please make it.
Ashkin
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »

It will be fun to see how this turns out, but I won't contribute because I'm still a noob.

Lips Sealed

That's hardly an excuse. Don't be scared, dude! If you think of something cool, please make it.

Well, I guess I'll have to! Thanks for the support. The people here are so nice! Tears of Joy
(Not like datarealms forums... Roll Eyes )
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:37 PM »

hm, not that i plan to do some... but what about text files?
intro texts, descriptions, infos, background stories, name lists...
or even ideas and descriptions of things, which can't be used 1:1.
gray area... the good old question whether the story is an asset or not. Wink

You could get sneaky about it and draw up a nice image of a page outlining the story. It would be an image that someone could use in the game, and you'd hope that they would go off your story for their game's story and not just have it be something irrelevant sitting in the background. In this case it's not really the story itself that's an asset, but anyone using that graphical asset would be a fool to not use your story outline in the game... or possibly a genius if they pulled that off.  Ninja
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »

I think that's strictly against the division of parts.
Part 2 has game design: i.e. Gameplay & story

Working on HeliBrawl
Nackhe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:17 AM »

Hey there!

I only joined just now 'cause this competition got me all excited.

I was wondering if it's ok for me to start a thread for some future music and sound effects i'll be making. As in, I don't have anything finished yet, but is it still ok to start a thread?

Thanks!  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic