Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:28:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 67900 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 08:22:10 AM »

People often do that in these compos, but there are so many threads already that it would probably be considerate of you not to start one until you have at least one thing to show at this point.

Plus it would probably be better for you to be honest since more people are likely to check out your thread a first time than a second.
Nackhe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »

Whoops, sorry. I actually just started a thread, as I'm in Europe and I figured it would take a long time for a mod to reply to this... (with the 8-something hour difference in time, I mean).  Concerned

Edit:

I'll be having some sounds up in less than an hour (most likely) though.
falsion
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »

Wait, there's a huge problem here. On the front page Derek says that only the winning assets will be used in a game.

How will that work? The assets are all scattered about across different threads. People are only submitting 1 or 2 things a piece, nowhere enough to make a full game.

If I wanted to make a game with enough assets, I would have to visit one thread for a sprite, another by someone else for tiles and then for music I'd have to look all over the place for appropriate music all of which will be submitted by different people.

With people submitting only one or two things each, there is no way a single set of assets by a certain person or thread can win and be used in the next part. There simply wouldn't be enough to work with to make a full game. Unless losing assets can be used, there is going to be a huge lack of material to work with.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »

It's still very early, we might still get swamped by assets, but when the time comes I'm sure we'll be able to properly discuss it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »

On the front page Derek says that only the winning assets will be used in a game.
Where? I didn't see him saying that.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »

ye, and also, people who want to record spoken text could also do some sort of catalog of possible dialogs, and generic answers, to outline a story in more fragmented way

I really want to do something like this if I have the time. I'm thinking of recording a bunch of random questions, answers, and in-game taunts in various voices that can be recombined in humorous ways.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »

Kiss

Anything with Noyb and voice in it is gold.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
falsion
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

On the front page Derek says that only the winning assets will be used in a game.
Where? I didn't see him saying that.

You guys and gals better cheer the loudest for the artists and musicians, because whatever they make, you’ll have to use!
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're misinterpreting/overanalyzing that sentence.
falsion
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're misinterpreting/overanalyzing that sentence.

Well, say if the best artist(s) wins and they only submitted 1 or 2 things. See what I'm saying?

Maybe it's too early to tell right now though. So for now I'll be quiet and raise this point again if it does become a problem later on.
goldenratio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »

Uh pretty obviously he's saying to be nice to the artists because they are going to be making everything you'll be able to use in your game. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that sentence, it has nothing to do with artists "winning" or anything.
falsion
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Uh pretty obviously he's saying to be nice to the artists because they are going to be making everything you'll be able to use in your game. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that sentence, it has nothing to do with artists "winning" or anything.

Okay, yeah guess I am over analyzing it then. Sorry. Shrug
goldenratio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »

dont be sorry just dont do it again  Huh?
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »

I mentioned this along with others in other threads, but if you're providing 3D assets with skeletal animation do not blindly export to .OBJ since the format doesnt support it.  I only bring it up since Derek recommends the format in the first post.  Again, I think a .blend file is the best solution since Blender is free and has good exporters for other formats.

NotWorthy
Level 0

W/e doesn't kill you; simply makes you....STRANGER

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »

Can't be arsed to read up and make sure it wasn't already mentioned, but can you clarify to my lesser minded mate WYVERN, that the threads voted to have the most use worthy assets are going to be exclusively given to one coder or team-of in part 2? Since that's the only thing that makes logical sense thus my assumption.

Also - are the coders going to be evaluated somehow? So that, like an awesome asset thread won't land in some script kiddie's hands?

300 characters is too much - I'd go freaking crazy and freak you out - let's stick to the pic's personal text
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

You can use assets made by ANYBODY.  Mix n' match!

The only evaluations will be voting after everything is done. And even the voting is mostly to have an excuse to call it a competition.
NotWorthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
REASON: Great Firewall of China.

The author also requests that anyone who quoted his post also remove his words that were... misplaced to say the least.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:54:26 AM by NotWorthy » Logged

300 characters is too much - I'd go freaking crazy and freak you out - let's stick to the pic's personal text
goldenratio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

Doesn't the artistic side have any say in the matter of who and mixed with who? If this is the process I'll need a long hot shower after part 2 and some really hard scrubbing.
No dude because it's a competition, not some game-making matchmaker. Anybody can your resources to make whatever game they want. To pair people up with one set of assets is pretty obviously dumb as hell. This not the competition for you if you don't want to sumbit artwork that will be used to make a crappy game. Because it's gonna happen. But you have the chance as well to have your stuff used in an awesome game.
NotWorthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
REASON: Great Firewall of China.

The author also requests that anyone who quoted his post also remove his words that were... misplaced to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:54:56 AM by NotWorthy » Logged

XenThraL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »

I got a question about Part 2:

Whats going to be the policy for procedurally made content?
Someone could try to sneak by a 100% procedurally made game without anything from part 1 Smiley
any limits? could you do meshes, but not say, textures?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic