Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411513 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:01:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1READ ME!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: READ ME!  (Read 68075 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »

According to the rules Derek posted, altering assets is only allowed during runtime, like scaling/blending/etc. There's been some discussion that some things, like organizing assets in sheets/strips, removing death-pink to add transparency, etc, could maybe be done prior since it's very logical stuff and it'd be painful otherwise.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »

Can programmers use public domain art? Or ONLY art that's in the subforum threads?

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »

Can programmers use public domain art? Or ONLY art that's in the subforum threads?

it's gotta be art that was created for the compo, during the compo.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

Exactly. Only use art AND music made for the compo in one of the threads.

I think we're gonna need more sound effects.

Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »

Suggesting .ogg (vorbis) file format for music. Ninja

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

I have a question
If I made the graphics for the competition.
But I found that it fits with the faculty project
so Can I use them for faculty project ?
Smiley and still enter the compo Smiley

jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:49 AM »

Suggesting .ogg (vorbis) file format for music. Ninja

If you can also add .mp3 (rendered from the source, not transcoded from .ogg!) that would be great...  Beg

I'm planning on making my Part 2 entry in Flash, which requires .mp3, and transcoding from one lossy format to a different one will probably make your lovely music sound like crap.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »

I have a question
If I made the graphics for the competition.
But I found that it fits with the faculty project
so Can I use them for faculty project ?
Smiley and still enter the compo Smiley

Might wanna work on that english too.

And I don't think you can. Assets are meant to be made for the compo. But who'd know, I wonder?

valzi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »

Do at least some of you have interest in .it or .mod format for music?
pgil
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

Do at least some of you have interest in .it or .mod format for music?

I'd be interested if you posted some. Mp3 just seems to be the most accessible format, but I'd say tracker music is welcome.
valzi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »

Great, I will! It will also be in .mp3 and .ogg formats.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »

Hey, I want to participate in the 2nd part of the Assemblee, but would also like to share some media to the part 1.

It's cool if I do that? I could avoid using my Part 1 contents for Part 2 to be fair.

Thanks!

Working on HeliBrawl
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »

You just skipped past all the thread, didn't you?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »

Indeed  Embarrassed

I read it 5 days ago, but that info didn't stick

Working on HeliBrawl
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »

Hey, I want to participate in the 2nd part of the Assemblee, but would also like to share some media to the part 1.

It's cool if I do that? I could avoid using my Part 1 contents for Part 2 to be fair.

Thanks!
IT'S SO COOL IF YOU DO THAT

hi
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:24 PM »

I think I know the answers to these already, by applying Common Sense(tm), but I just want to clarify:

1 - It seems that the consensus is that offline format conversion for the sake of easy loading into an engine is okay, as is modifying art assets at runtime. How far can we push that? For instance, if I wanted to convert assets into some kind of colour indexed format (I don't know what format yet), so that I could change a sprite's palette at runtime, would that be okay?

2 - The rules seem to imply that there will be a voting process between the first and second parts of the contest to work out which assets from the first deserve to be usable in the second. Is that what was intended, and if so, does that make any sense? I think it would suck if assets got voted "not good enough" to go into the second part, and I think it'd be much more fun to have all of the assets available to see what unusual uses they can be put to in the second part.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »

1. Yeah, we'll be pretty flexible about those kinds of conversions.

2. No, all the assets will be available, regardless of how many votes they receive.  I'll likely put them all on a big page for easy access.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

A question regarding zipped assets versus individually available assets for evaluation. 

I'm recording several packs of vocal audio with 20-30 WAV files in each pack.  Is it okay if i zip up the files then offer a single MP3 sampler of what is contained in the zip?  It would seem like too much trouble to link each individual WAV file.  But, i mean, if i have to i have to.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »

I'm recording several packs of vocal audio with 20-30 WAV files in each pack.  Is it okay if i zip up the files then offer a single MP3 sampler of what is contained in the zip?  It would seem like too much trouble to link each individual WAV file.  But, i mean, if i have to i have to.

That would be a lot of tedious work...  Could write a script to help, but still...

A related question:
If we we can submit archives of assets, what archive type would be preferred and/or required and/or accepted? Zip format?  7Zip?

Thanks

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
jjs
Level 0

Lean like a Chozo!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »

That would be a lot of tedious work...  Could write a script to help, but still...

A related question:
If we we can submit archives of assets, what archive type would be preferred and/or required and/or accepted? Zip format?  7Zip?

Thanks

Well, every single person on Earth can open .zip files, but I think the important thing is please put things in a directory and zip the directory.

e.g.   foo.zip   should unzip to  the folder  foo,   rather than dropping a bunch of files in the current directory!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic