Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:15:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeInteresting thing i found
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Interesting thing i found  (Read 3031 times)
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »

I found this while doing some DS homebrew stuff today.  Apparently this is where you go to apply for a nintendo ds or wii development license.

www.warioworld.com

funny because i'm not sure whether it's legit or not.  it seems like it would be, and there's the nintendo copyright at the bottom, but the page is so shitty looking it leads me to believe otherwise. 

no, i am almost certain this is legit.

anyway these sorts of things are kinda hard to find, so it's an interesting thing and i'm gonna look some more at it after posting this.  just thought it would be interesting.

and to anyone who didn't click on the link, thinking it was a joke.. that's actually the legit URL.  weird, huh.

also interesting - when you mouse over the ds on the page, the URL goes to "/nitro", which was i think the original name for the DS.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:00:58 AM by neon » Logged

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »

Yeah it's legit and quite well known, well done for finding it yourself though Smiley
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »

Doesn't seem well-known to me; I've never heard of it.  Maybe in industry circles, but yeah.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »

It's legit.  I had to use it when I was working on a 3rd party game for nintendo.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

Yeah it's legit and quite well known, well done for finding it yourself though Smiley
Define "well known".

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »

Yep, that's the official Nintendo developer site Smiley

Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:46:18 AM »

It looks horrible, just hideously amateur for a huge corporation. That combined with the fact that it's not on the Nintendo.com url makes it look really  dodgy.

Was it designed by an intern? Is it unchanged from 1997? What's the deal with it?

It's just not nearly web 2.0 enough.
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:56:48 AM »

Haha, it's cute Wink Idunno, it's for developers, it doesn't need to look flashy.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:28 AM »

Nuts, home offices aren't good enough for the big N!
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »

The site does look horribly bad. 

Still it is an interesting find.

And, I wonder why the website is named after wario.  I hate that fucking guy.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

The department that handles development on consoles was also the department that created Wario; it's their mascot.
EmThree
Level 0

pew pew pew

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »

I saw this a long time ago, but still very interesting.

MS Paint For Life
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »

I found that site some time ago, ever since I've been trying to decide what to make of the developer application page. Does anyone have familiarity with what the process is for becoming a Wii Ware developer is? Their requirements as I understand them on the page seem to be:

- You have to be an actual registered business
- You have to have an actual office, not a home office
- You have to have made a released game of high enough quality to demonstrate to Nintendo they're not just selling a development system to some crank; and they prefer the game you released be for a Nintendo system (for example they seem to prefer you attempt to sell a DS game before attempting one for Wii).

Does anyone have insight into the process they use to decide an existing game qualifies a developer for inclusion, or what platforms they'd consider relevant (in my case I'd be particularly curious about how likely they'd be to count noncommercial PC games or iPhone games as "real")? I know they gave licenses to the people behind Cave Story, La Mulana, Knytt etc based only on free indie pc games but those are really exceptional games (and the Wii ports of all three are being done under that "Nicalis" umbrella anyway).

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »

Haha, it's cute Wink Idunno, it's for developers, it doesn't need to look flashy.
Still, it looks a lot like those pointless websites random people make. http://www.freewebs.com/joshjsmith/ (note that I found that by googling "josh's site"  :D

But maybe it was designed to look amateurish and non-corporate on purpose, to avoid spam from "how is gaem formed lol" morons.  Shrug
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic