Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:48:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFavorite Video Game Memory...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Favorite Video Game Memory...  (Read 3846 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »

Recently my girlfriend and I went over to her mom's house and I discovered her old Nintendo 64. The only game she has for it is Mario 64 which brought back all sorts of good memories. I remember when the N64 first came out I walked two and a half hours up the road to Toys R Us just to play it (my parents were really poor so I knew I wasn't getting one for a long time). And what was the game that was plugged in at the display case? None other then Mario 64. When I got back I got a lot of flack from my Mom to the effect of "where the fuck have you been?" But man was it worth it. I wouldn't be another two years until I actually got a N64 so until then I was regaled to the living rooms of my friend's houses. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone's favorite video game related memory was?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Tr00jg
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:13:09 AM »

Great thread!

My favourite video game memory is definitely when I rp'ed in wow.

PREQUEL:
Me and a buddy started Horde characters and we immediately joined this "clan" called the Darkmist Tribe. Every night at 8, our clan held a meeting on top of one of the mountains in Barrens. It was very "tribe"-like, ie salutes, formal discussions on clan issues.

AWESOME:

Then one night, as the dust rolled over the barrens, we settled beside a fire on top of some mountain.

The chieftain suggested the new profession system for our Tribe. A master in every profession and the rest are dual gatherers. Most said yes, without knowing what they were in for. After that, the younglings started disagreeing with the profession system. Who would want to be dual gatherers when you can be a master that receives endless amount of resources from fellow tribe members? The Chieftain shot the suggestion down claiming that it has been voted for already and that we all approved. Apparently the chieftains have 50% voting power and the younglings 50%. I immediately didnt agree with that.

I stood up and demanded a better democracy. In order for our tribe to flourish everyone needs equal say. A leader is only there to guide his fellow members. He then claimed that all voted for them to be chieftains. I highly disagreed! I put my foot down and said that he is dictator. He shot me down asked me to sit. I said to him these very wise words.

(clickie for big view)

Troojg: "Time will tell, my leader. When the dust has settled and the clouds drenched our Barren homeland then I will see if you are worthy to be our leader".

Chieftain: "You are being highly disrepectful! I ask you to leave!".

I stood up...bowed before my chieftain, left the guild and gave him the finger.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:17:18 AM by Tr00jg » Logged
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:03 AM »

Playing Super Metroid over and over again with my neighbor on his then XBOX HUEG TV... and then, one day, finally figuring out that you can make Samus run over those crumbling blocks in that one room in Brinstar... its as if we discovered an entire new world right then and there.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »

I have a lot of favourites, mainly just playing certain games with friends like IK+ which was always a riot to play with a friend.

Buying Amiga Power every month and rummaging through the contents of the cover-disk to see what PD (Public Domain) games were on it.

Playing countless frustrating hours of Rick Dangerous and pulling my hair out everytime I forgot about a trap.

Playing countless hours of a PD game called Twintris on the Amiga, which was like the best two player Tetris clone ever.

Wasting bucketloads of money at the arcades on games like Final Fight, Magic Sword and Snow Bros.

I could go on and on...

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:22:15 PM »

Best moment: Finding out Morte's history in Planescape: Torment. I don't want to give any of the details away, but it completely changed the way I viewed the character.

My second favorite memory would be the ending of Planescape: Torment. A lot of game's suffer from poorly-written endings, but PT's was superb. It wrapped the game up perfectly, but still held a few surprises. It was fulfilling, and at the same time, tragic. Most importantly, as I played through the dialog at the end, I felt a feeling of power I rarely experience in video games. It was the perfect way to end an amazing game.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »

The first time I completed Wing Commander, I was absolutely in the zone with it. I wiped out every single enemy fighter and capital ship in the final mission, (except for Bakhtosh Redclaw, who ran away).  I absolutely felt like I really was the best damn fighter pilot in the Confederation.

Since then I've never been anywhere near that good at a game that actually requires skill - not even Wing Commander itself.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »

When I realized I was the only one on the street that had Super Smash Bros Melee. Me and my friends would play  that literally EVERY day! We got so good at it that as a team, we could be the best in the world! But in 2004, I had to move to Florida, so I played is less and less, and now I'm waiting for Brawl.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Seth
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:45 PM »

I have a lot of good memories about Everquest.  It was the game that introduced me to the idea of an entire world to explore.  Running around in the cities and across the plains, finding random dungeons and caves... that was good stuff.

I also have a lot of bad memories about Everquest.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

When the original Final Fantasy came out, a few friends of mine and I played it for an eight hour plus stretch at a friend's house.

I think his parents were maybe more lenient about video games than mine.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 03:29:59 PM »

I have a couple, the first was when I had my 6th birthday (or roughly that), and I opened up one of my presents. It was a sonic game on the megadrive (naturally), and I looked a little sad at my parents because I realised they might not have known I need a megadrive to play it. Then I remember absolutely freezing on the spot. I had one last present. I'd saved the biggest to last. I opened it, and there was my first games console. That was probably the happiest moment in my childhood.

Hooking that thing up I'd never play any other console until the Playstation around Tekken 2 time. Mega Bomberman was fantastic, and I'd still be playing it today, and Sparkster simply because that was about as physically cool as I thought a game character could be. He had knights armour, a sword and a damn JET PACK.

But to go further it would probably be FFVIII. We imported a copy from the states but our PS1 was having some issues at this point and always froze in a part near the end of the second disk. Then one day we loaded it up again to see if it would work, and suddenly... the scene moved slowly.. bit by bit.. until finally... WE REACHED THE GARDEN! From that point on my and my brother tore through the next two discs like there was nothing else to think about in the world until we reached Lunatic Pandora. That was probably my favourite moment in gaming, and I'm not sure why. It was just absurd euphoria in finally being able to finish a story we'd been on tender-hooks about for literally a month. It's actually my favourite of the Final Fantasys, and maybe for just that one reason; it's the game I wanted to work more than anything else.
Tr00jg
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:37:45 AM »

I've played FF8 up to the Lunatic Pandora. FF8 would've rocked if the GF's wasn't so ludicrously powerful.

But yeah, I love FF8's story and scenery. awesome!
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure whose idea it was to make it so that there was absolutely no downside to using GF's, and then added a boost ability to make sure they were even more powerful. Gameplay wise it was pretty damn broken in your favour, but everything else was pretty superb.

And I want to stick in a shout out again to Planescape: Torment, which is a favourite memory because as Keiron Gillen put it; "Irony - A game about an amnesiac is a game that you'll never forget". Still my favourite game ever made, if for nothing else but tearing apart RPG cliche's with it's bare hands. Which it has no choice but to do, since there are a total of 3 swords in the entire game. That entire thing is like one long beautiful memory now.
ZombiePixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

One thing that really stands out in a sad "gone and never to be repeated" way is the experience of arcades in general.  For a young kid they were always impossible to resist and yet scary at the same time because all the older kids were there too.

More recently, I was playing Operation Flashpoint and the orders were to take a small village and then wait for an AI team to secure the next village and then link up and take out a 3rd location.  So I waited...and waited...I could hear the battle but never received the order to link up.  I finally realized that B Team had been destroyed!  That wasn't supposed to happen!  I had to improvise or fail the mission.

As someone who hates linear, scripted games - I had no choice but to fall in love. Flashpoint became (and still is) my favorite FPS.  Incidentally I've replayed that mission and Team B keeps winning, so it was a one-time fluke incident - but the AI does actually fight the battle, it's not predetermined.

Another favorite is in the Unreal Tournament mod Tac Ops on the map Texas Bank -  as SWAT infiltrating the bank, we were walking up a stairway that lead to a narrow hall.  3 of my teammates charged into the hallway and I was about to follow when a grenade when off, killing everyone.  The hallway was so narrow that the explosion created an enormous wave of gibs that rocketed over my head.  The most gibs I've ever seen in an FPS so far.  Good times!
Tr00jg
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 07:06:45 AM »

Yeah! I love how I improvised with Operation Flashpoint. Great stuff. We were to infiltrate something base. I got shot several times in the leg, so I couldn't walk (only crawl). So there I was, lying in the building when this tank decided to enter the base. I was like "OMG!".

Great stuff.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »

I too remember playing Torment. Then telling everybody I knew to play it and getting little interest out of them. I guess some games are a bit too intellectual for the common masses.

Spoilers ahead, but the best part of it for me was when I was able to will myself out of existence, then get a game over. I've never seen a game that allowed me to do that ever since.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mizumon
Level 0

Sleeping, eating-it's what we do, it's what we do.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 04:39:39 PM »

Starting up Wonder Boy in Monster World. 

xD Yes, a *very* old game.  But there's nothing like hearing that opening song perk up, as you're told to head out into the world and slay the mysterious Demon King; the art style was beautiful for its time, and I even have the game on Virtual Console, almost twelve years later.   

... Talk about Video Memory Lane. 

There's just something about Mary. 
Maybe it's because she's always a Sue.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic