Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:50:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version  (Read 63245 times)
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »

30 November - final edit. Gahhh, the deadline took me somewhat by surprise - I had though that it was running right up to the end of the month, rather than ending last night.
As a result, I have a few unfinished assets that I had been planning to get done and uploaded today, but you'll have to live without them now. I want to stick to the rules, so I'm not going to try to sneak any more updates in, but after the competition is over I might finish the assets I had been planning to do, if anyone is still interested at that point.
In one way it's a bit of a relief - I've spent way more time on this than I expected to. Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement.

Steam-Powered Mecha-thingy and pilot. This one requires some self-assembly, as I've done the legs and bodies separately. This means that you can start the firing animation at any point in the walk cycle, and mix-and-match bodies and legs/tracks. At the moment I've got three four different body types, one lot of legs, and some tracks. And I animated everything in all eight directions, because you asked, and I'm nice Grin

Here are some examples of how it should work:

And here's the full spritesheet:

It's all on a 48px grid.

Falsion suggested custom, pimp-your-mech options, so I did this: Two bodies, eight heads, eight shields.

And here's some extra mech-related bits: projectiles (3 types, 16 directions), shrapnel,smoke puffs, pilot sprite, and portraits. Oh and an armoured car and turret.

And explosions, of 24, 32, 48 & 64 pixel radius. They look a bit weird laid out like this, but they work when you animate them:

finally on the mech-related front, the "Iron Bastard" mobile megafortress, for all your awesome superboss needs. Combine the parts provided with the tracks and turrets on the other sheets:

Character Spritesheets, with 4-way walk and attack animations. I've also posted some demo animations:

Wizard:

Fighter:

Miner, with mine cart and tracks. These work well with the "Caves" tileset, below:

I wasn't going to do any music, but I came across Brog's unpleasant growling and screaming and felt that they were crying out to be used in a piece of music.

So I made one.

It's about 1:30 long, loopable, ~750Kb MP3. I have no idea what kind of a game would use it, but it was fun to make.

TILESETS:

Dungeon Tileset:

Demo:

Cave tileset:

As you might spot, there are a couple of places where they don't tile properly. I'll fix this before the deadline.

Here are the flickering torches and waterfalls:

If you'd rather have the animations laid out as frame-by-frame .pngs:
Waterfalls
Torches

And here's all the static tiles:

The other new thing is this sheet of items for you to scatter around your caves:

]
I wasn't intending, when I first started work on all this stuff, that it be used for a roguelike, but I guess you could, now. You'd probablly be better off using the awesome 8x8 tiles  by Oryx and Oddball for that.

Here's the main (overworld) tileset:

Here are the animated coastline tiles in .gif form:

If you'd rather have it as one big .png spritesheet, download it here

And here are the waterfalls. The two tiles in the middle don't do anything, but they do keep the tiles aligned to the main tileset, which might help with programming:

As above, you can get this as a .png spritesheet here.

Here is some stuff to put in the landscape. I've designed these to fit with the main tileset, but do feel free to mix and match with other people's assets. I'm not fussy.

You've got domestic buidlings, towers, a church, trees and stuff, and some mysterious ruins of an ancient civilisation, all conforming to a 32x32px grid.

Anyway, if you've got some sprites that you think might fit, do post a link in this thread. If I spot any that I think might work, I'll do likewise. And if anyone happens to feel like taking the sprite ideas I've got here and using them as the basis for proper animations, that's cool too. Let me know and I'll give you what I've got on a magic pink background.

Oh , and here's a tileable space background:

p.s. Someone suggested changing subject header to show date of last update, so that's what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:12:05 AM by dbb » Logged

mr.mnml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

holy cow that looks nice. maybe add some buildings and foliage?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

Niiiice.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

They are some quality tiles.
Do you plan to animate the water, though?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »

Hey, thanks for the words of praise. Yes, buildings and foliage etc. are coming soon.

Re. animating the water - ahh, shit, I had been hoping to get away without having to do any animation (because it makes me crazy  Hand Pencil Crazy ) but yeah, the waterfalls in particular would look wierd if I didn't. So yeah, I'll animate the waterfalls. Please don't make me animate the whole coastline.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »

Well, you just need to animate coastline tiles. Grin

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »

I'd think it'd be a little odd if the waves didn't wave... I know it's a lot of work, but it looks like you're using the same water pattern for most of the coastal tiles.  So if you just made the one tiled water wave animation, you could reuse it again.

I really do like the tiles, though
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »

Crazy Oh gosh-darn it all to heck. My thinking prior to starting this thread was "Well, I'll just stick to tilesets because then I won't have to animate anything or spend ages designing characters and thus won't spend the whole of November getting sucked in to this competition at the expense of doing paid work."

However, now you've all pointed out the need for animated water, I'm going to have to do this, because I

a)hate showing half-assed work in public
b)have a desperate need for approval from the TIGsource community.

Lips Sealed

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:04 PM »

Okay, the coast line isn't CRITICAL, but the waves and waterfalls are.

Unless this world has been frozen... IN TIME.

mr.mnml
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »

*drum roll*
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »

*drum roll*

That is actually a pretty cool idea for a game. Suppose that, when you paused the game, everything paused except for the player character? You could walk on water, falling objects would freeze in midair, enabling you to climb up them, enemies would freeze (but in so doing become immovable obstacles)... yeah, it could make for some pretty interesting puzzles and stuff.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

Okay, the sea now moves! Shall do the waterfalls soon.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »

Yay!

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »

And more! I will get round to animating those waterfalls, but in the meantime, here is some stuff to put in the landscape. I've designed these to fit with the main tileset, but do feel free to mix and match witho ther people's assets. I'm not fussy.

You've got oldy-type domestic buidlings, trees and stuff, and some mysterious ruins of an ancient civilisation, all conforming to a 32x32px grid. I started intending to do generic fantasy stuff, but it's all ended up specifically English-looking. Hope that doesn't alienate all you Americans and Swedes and everyone.  Grin

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »

Looks pretty good! Do you know what you're going to work on next?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »

Looks pretty good! Do you know what you're going to work on next?

Thanks! Well, next I promised to animate the waterfalls. After that I'm not sure - I could carry on expanding this set. Some paths/roads and bridges over the rivers would be nice, as would a paved surface for towns. And some castles and stuff. I could go on for ages... but I might get a bit bored of the fantasy/rural theme and do something totally different, like a side-on sci-fi platformer tileset or something. What do you think?

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

I'd like me some bridges and ramps! Grin
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »

I'd like me some bridges and ramps! Grin

Okay, bridges it is! I probably won't do a specific ramp tile, because in my limited experience of such things messing too much with the height of things introduces perspective complications that I'm not clever enough to handle well, but you can do sort-of ramps with the existing tiles like this:

Is that anywhere near what you were thinking of?

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »

Oh, yeah, that could work.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 03:58:17 AM »

It occurs to me that these tilesets aren't going to be of any use unless someone provides a set of top-down character sprites at an appropriate scale. Character animation really isn't my strong point, but I coldn't resist a couple of experiments.

The correct scale for people seems to be 8x16px. Unfortunately, at this resolution you can't get much in the way of personality, so you might want RPG-like character portraits of some sort - I've included a few (somewhat freakish and grotesque) examples here:

The other option is to use 16x32px sprites, and just scale up the background to fit. I think I prefer this, but it depends how you feel about mixing resolutions in this way:

Anyway, if you've got some sprites that you think might fit, do post a link in this thread. If I spot any that I think might work, I'll do likewise. And if anyone happens to feel like taking the sprite ideas I've got here and using them as the basis for proper animations, that's cool too. Let me know and I'll give you what I've got on a magic pink background.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic