Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:37:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version  (Read 63283 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Fantastic. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »

mind=blown
head asplode

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »

These tilesets are amazing.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »

bump! new content

More like this to come, unless I do some more scenery first. Sheeeeit, this is becoming like work.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 06:20:36 AM by dbb » Logged

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »

Another gentle bump, firstly because it appears that no-one's noticed the last couple of updates, and secondly because I found these rather nice character sprites that look like the right size and perspective to use in combination with my tilesets.

So I won't have to do a complete set of sprites. That's a relief.

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:58 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Yeah I usually wait a day before reminding people who's the boss around here.  I don't know why that NotWorthy thread gets so much attention.

I have nothing to add constructively... unless compliments are constructive.  Cause everything here is great.  I hope a lot of people make this into a game, because I wouldn't mind looking at those sprites through 3 or 4 games.

-PENCERKOFF

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:38 AM »

New tileset - Dungeons:

And this is how you looks in action:

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »

bump! new content

These look pretty nice. Do you have a template or something to use so that other people can make a couple sprites in this style?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 03:52:42 AM »

Do you have a template or something to use so that other people can make a couple sprites in this style?

I didn't, but being rather flattered by your interest, I've made one. Also it should help keep my own sprites consistent.

A few tips if you're new to this kind of thing:

- With these sprites, I've found it easier to animate them without arms or equipment, then add those later (on a separate layer, if you're using an app. that has such a feature). This template does not include arms. As a general rule, people swing each hand in the opposite direction to the corresponding foot when walking (e.g. left foot goes forward, left hand goes back).

- Don't leave black outlines. Better to use a darker shade of the colour of the thing you're outlining. I try to use pure black sparingly - only on the eyes, mainly.

- The light source is coming from the top left. Shade accordingly. Also note that this means you can't just make the left-hand walk cycle a mirror-image of the right (which is a pain in the arse, I know).

- A tricky aspect of animating side-on walk cycles is differentiating the legs from each other. Make sure you make the far/back leg a darker colour than the nearer.

- Remember that these sprites are intended to be used in a top-down / three-quarter perspective, not viewed straight from the side. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference at this resolution, but keep it in mind.

- This is not a tutorial on how to do pixel art. Derek Yu has one here.

- The little portraits are not drawn in pixel-art style, but more loosely, using a graphics pad and lots of semi-transparent brush strokes. I do them at double size (128 px2) and then resample.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:22:57 AM by dbb » Logged

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 04:35:45 AM »

Thanks! I'll see what I can do with this template later. Coffee
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Should never have given out that template.  I knew I couldn't make a portrait, so I worked with what I had. 

I have no idea how a fat naked guy can fit in your theme, so I put Wrestler thinking it would just sort of work out.  It needs some editing, and like an attack I guess.

-PENCERKOFF

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 03:32:14 AM »

I'm not normally one for dungeoneering in games, but that looks super sweet and seriously atmospheric.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 04:24:06 AM »

It needs some editing, and like an attack I guess.

Hahaha! That's great. Now you totally need to add an animation to your own sprite set in which your fat guy splits into multiple tiny versions of himself.

EDIT 15/11/09 1530GMT:
This is what I'm doing at the moment. I was getting a bit bored of straight generic fantasy, so I thought I'd steampunk it up a bit. Will post a proper update when I've got all the necessary bits together.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:31:54 AM by dbb » Logged

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »

18 November, major update: I've added a miner character with a mine cart and narrow-gauge tracks, and a steam powered walking mech thingy and pilot. Hopefully this should stop the asset set as a whole getting too derivatively tolkeinesque-D&D-blah, and inspire some more imaginative ideas. I always prefer fantasy when they mix it up a bit, like the Dark Materials Trilogy / China Mieville's work / Gormenghast.

And if someone doesn't do a top-down shooter with that mech sprite I might have to do one myself, once the competition's over. Durr...?

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 07:25:17 AM »

Will you do diagonal animations for the mech? (it's awesome)
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2009, 07:57:11 AM »

Will you do diagonal animations for the mech? (it's awesome)

NOOOOooOOOOoooOOOOOO!!!!!!! Screamy

Seriously, I'm glad you like it, and yeah, diagonal animations would be useful, but I decided early on that I wouldn't do any diagonal animations for this competition, because it's a whole bunch of extra work, and diagonal stuff is really annoying, 'cause there's no straight lines anywhere... So no, sorry.

The only thing that I can imagine possibly motivating me to make diagonal animations is if someone made a superawesome game with these sprites, and then, after the competition was over, wanted to develop it some more. I might do it then.

Or if someone offered to pay me actual money. Big Laff

But yeah, I'm glad you like it, and I'm sorry to have to decline your entirely reasonable request.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »

I will paypal you €0.06 if you do diagonal animations for your mech!

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 12:09:01 PM »

I will paypal you €0.06 if you do diagonal animations for your mech!

I said "actual money", not your made-up Euromoney. Tongue

Having said that, I think 6 Eurocents is worth about a pound nowadays.

Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »

awesome mech indeed Addicted

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2009, 12:58:07 PM »

I said "actual money", not your made-up Euromoney. Tongue

Having said that, I think 6 Eurocents is worth about a pound nowadays.

Annoyingly enough for my trips to the rest of the EU...

Anyway... I have a 5-franc piece here, is that more to your liking? ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic