Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:24:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 1DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: DBB's Tilessets & Mecha Construction Kit - Final version  (Read 63452 times)
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »

6 Eurocents is worth about a pound nowadays.

Man, that's like like two and a half ounces per Eurocent!
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:19 AM »

Will you do diagonal animations for the mech? (it's awesome)
The only thing that I can imagine possibly motivating me to make diagonal animations is if someone made a superawesome game with these sprites, and then, after the competition was over, wanted to develop it some more. I might do it then.

Interesting.

Will you draw any more mechs, or just leave it at that one?
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:55 AM »

I was just looking over this thread and the mech-related pixels, and I realise that I'm being a pussy.  Cry

I will do the 8-way animations.

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2009, 04:07:04 AM »

Awesome news!

Edit: If it's not too big of an ask, would you be able to include more-modular mech designs? Swappable weapons, chassis? Alternate colour schemes would be nice, too... but I guess that could be achieved at runtime.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:10:31 AM by Stargoat » Logged
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »

The Steampunk idea and the characters are just superb.... the collection seems to be lacking in enemies/NPCs at the moment though. Even just a colour-swap on the existing characters and different headwear would be pretty good. Definitely a pleasant Miazaki-ish vibe, with the thatched cottages, military and technological stuff. Also maybe need some mine/factory buildings?

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

Miazaki-ish vibe... ...maybe need some mine/factory buildings?

Grin This pleases me. I was blown away by Nausicäa and the Valley of Wind when I first read it as a kid. The combination of sword-wielding knights riding tanks and bomber planes never struck me as odd at the time. Yeah, I had been thinking of some buildings in a similar theme. And of course enemies/NPCs. Got a few sketches for that already. But, sheeeeeeit, it's the 19th already and I don't think I'm going to get everything I'd like to get done done in time. Especially if any paid work comes my way(my prolific output so far is largely down to my currently being semi-unemployed).

But like I mentioned to Stargoat, if someone made a superawesome game with what I do manage to get up, or even half of one, I'd be very willing to talk about developing it further in the new year.

But we mustn't talk about such things as yet. It's cheating. Who, Me?

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »

it's the 19th already

I seriously read that as "it's the 19th century", like you'd just done steampunk and were about to start on the next era.

Maybe focus on the stuff that's cheapest to produce but opens up most options? Or is that really obvious?

...Can wizards ride mechs?

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »

it's the 19th already

...Can wizards ride mechs?

I was thinking they could...
Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:22 AM »

Amazing piece of pixel art  Beer!

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

BUMPAGE: I have done the eight-way animations for the steam-powered mechathing, and done a few different component pieces, so you're well on the way to a full-on mecha construction kit.

I had a go at making the weapons separate from the bodies, but it got really fiddly, and didn't look as good as you'd no longer have the muzzle-flash from the weapons reflected in the bodies, which is my favorite thing about these sprites.

Some colour variations or something would be nice, though, as at the moment all these guys look like they're on the same team, which could get confusing if you want to have them fight each other.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »

Combinatorial explosion!

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »

This is so awesome. Great job, man.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I'm starting to really appreciate this competition, because I want to make about 3 games using your stuff alone.

Just some things that would compliment your mechs that wouldn't be too hard to make

Bullets (really easy)
missiles and their explosions
maybe a bomb or grenade
A broken or destroyed mech sprite
A couple small, flaming sprites might be used for a flamethrower or something
Turbo booster rockets shooting out the back

-PENCERKOFF

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 01:47:59 AM »

The gun is shooting from the wrong side on the box-turret thing in the second and fourth angle...

Also, the looking top-right dual machinegun torso doesn't have the twin-fire.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »

The gun is shooting from the wrong side on the box-turret thing in the second and fourth angle...

Also, the looking top-right dual machinegun torso doesn't have the twin-fire.

Well spotted, thanks! Fixed now.

@Pencerkoff - They're good ideas. Yeah, I shall do bullets, wreckage, and at least one explosion.

Another update, too: we now have a sword-wielding mech.

falsion
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »

Maybe I'm just crazy but whenever I think of "mecha" I think of japanese mechs. The term "mech" makes me think of the western style, like Mechwarrrior.

Speaking of which, could you add parts to the mech that allow it to have a head with ornaments like golden V fins or a crescent moon? maybe even a head that has one eye and makes it look like a "cyber cyclops?" or even just a head with a single visor.

I'm thinking it'd be cool to have a game where you start out with a basic "walker" style mech and later pimp it out with custom heads, laser swords and all this other stuff to make it look all futuristic.
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »

Maybe I'm just crazy but whenever I think of "mecha" I think of japanese mechs. The term "mech" makes me think of the western style, like Mechwarrrior.

I always thought that "mecha" was the plural of "mech". But according to Wiktionary I'm wrong.

I'm thinking it'd be cool to have a game where you start out with a basic "walker" style mech and later pimp it out with custom heads, laser swords and all this other stuff to make it look all futuristic.

This is a cool idea. There's a lot of interesting places you could take a "Pimp my Mech" game. I was thinking of doing a version or two with a head, and then doing some alternate heads for it, and I still might, but your idea would work better with sprites designed with that sort of customisation in mind from the start. And they'd probably need to be bigger, too. Also, I don't want to stray too far from the fantasy/steampunk thing I've got going here.

It is a cool idea, though. If you're still interested after the competition, let's talk about it then.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »

Just popping in to say these sprites are fuckin awesome. Nice job!  Gentleman Hand Thumbs Up Right

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »

The five-armed gentleman agrees.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftHand Thumbs Up LeftGentlemanHand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

The five-armed gentleman agrees.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftHand Thumbs Up LeftGentlemanHand Thumbs Up RightHand Thumbs Up Right

Just went on a rampage through Assemblee, I note.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic